Is it possible to not go to lectures and still do well? (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
I have 1 lecturer who is boring and who goes through slides too quickly.

Is there a likely possibility of not going to lectures and just relying on textbooks + course notes + tutorials and still do well? Anyone doing this?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Is there a likely possibility of not go to the lectures and just rely on textbooks + course notes + tutorials and still do well?
Yes. Especially if it's recorded. If not, you can still get by, just look at the subject outline, and make sure you look at what's being covered.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
ez bro. lectures are a huuuugeee waste of time. if you spend 1hr reading the relevant shit, you will learn 100x more than what the lecturer will cover. or maybe thats just me cuz i read and comprehend like a bawsss.

izzy88

HSC

Is there a likely possibility of not going to lectures and just relying on textbooks + course notes + tutorials and still do well? Anyone doing this?
Whilst the lecturer may be boring, I think it is much easier to do well if you turn up to class. In my experience, lecturers will have a different focus to their lectures than the readings or the textbooks- they may like some things the readings say and may in fact disagree with stuff. If you don't go, then you won't know. Also, in terms of exams and assignments, I find that lecturers tend to focus on things that will eventually turn up in the exam, if they spend ages talking about a little particular thing then that maybe a hint, rather than whatever the textbooks focus on.

I guess it depends what subjects you are doing- however I have found for history/ancient history etc that the readings for the tutorials don't necessarily cover what was gone through in the lectures- tutorials may in fact focus on one tiny thing that the lectures mentioned, and you will miss the broader scope of what the lecturer was talking about. Of course, these subjects also rarely had textbooks, and if they did, then you generally only read a chapter or two for particular topics- the lectures didn't follow the structure of the textbook at all.

If the powerpoint slides go up, then that maybe might negate needing to go to the lecture- but what if they had 50 slides but actually in the end only went through some of the them, and then said the other slides didn't matter? How would you know? (I've had this happen in lectures before). And some lecturers have slides that are really detailed, and others only have 5 covering a one hour lecture- is that enough to know what they went through?

The other element, is if you don't turn up to class, can you make sure that you will go and do all the readings etc? I tend to find that even if lectures are recorded, you may tell yourself you will go back and listen to the lecture if you miss it, but you rarely do (not until stuvac anyway)- so you just get behind.

Anyway, I'm sure it probably works for some people, but it also doesn't work for many others. My personal opinion is that i'm paying $1,000 a course (or $600 etc), so I want some facetime with a lecturer, rather than just doing a bunch of readings that I could probably could have done in my own time and not necessarily paid for (I see it as attempting to get some value for my money). I only have 4 hours of contact a week per subject (only at uni for like 10 weeks), i might as well go to them. :)

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel sorry for all you guys with difficult/shitty lecturers, and I don't see how you could all be so unlucky. Mine are fine, and I like the ones I've met so far.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Most people couldn't do it. Some people are exceptions though. Not something you'd recommend though.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I did a course last semester where I attended the first lecture in week 1 and the last lecture in week 13, with nothing in the middle. Got 90.

(Although that says more about the difficulty level of the course than anything else...)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I feel sorry for all you guys with difficult/shitty lecturers, and I don't see how you could all be so unlucky. Mine are fine, and I like the ones I've met so far.
i feel bad for you guys who go to lectures

Kralex

HSC
I like all my lectures and my lecturers (one of ems pretty hot :p) but I can see how I could easily skip the lectures and learn as much.

The ilectures are available and the lecturers are putting the extra effort into synchronizing the ilectuers and the slides.

Deathless

HSC
Ah gay.

I got another terrible lecturer. Some guy who can't even speak english properly. I can't understand what the heck he is even saying let alone stand his pedo accent.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

in response to your PM:

am going to sell micro tomorrow

i have macro... econ1002, if you want?
if econ1001 doesnt sell ill let you know.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
in response to your PM:

am going to sell micro tomorrow

i have macro... econ1002, if you want?
if econ1001 doesnt sell ill let you know.
in the meantime, clear out your inbox, its full

Kralex

HSC
Ah gay.

I got another terrible lecturer. Some guy who can't even speak english properly. I can't understand what the heck he is even saying let alone stand his pedo accent.
Which uni do you go to?

Deathless

HSC
How much are you selling for? And what's the condition? I alrdy got Econ1001 its ok.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
decent condition. no missing or torn pages, some highlighting (will probably help you lol) i think the corners are a bit curled.

selling for $65
its principles of macroeconomics, 2nd ed. by Bernanke, Olekalns and Frank.

FrozenSky

HSC
I'm on the same boat as you, tbh i haven't learnt anything from my lecturers so far.
When i go home and grind on my textbooks i get a lot more out of it. So i'm considering to skip lectures :p

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Only my babs1201 and math1131 have been quite interesting. Although babs1201 has recorded lectures i will still go.
Chem1031 is complete boring. I rather watch the video lecture they put up instead.
Phys1131 is showing some signs of some fun but also boring at the same time.

Overall I will probably just go to Math1131 in the future and maybe babs1201 if it is worth it in the coming lectures.
Phys1131 will kill you whether you go to lectures or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)