Is it possible to get into a unsw course even if my atar is a couple of points off? (1 Viewer)

mysticwater

HSC
N/A
Has anyone gotten into a course with their Atar below the cutoff without bonus points?

If so what are the chances that this can happen if i apply for a commerce degree at unsw?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Re: Is it possible to get into a unsw course even if my atar is a couple of points of

Plenty of people get into their preferred uni course even if their ATAR is below by 1-2 points. You have to consider people that may get the required ATAR but choose to reject or defer their offer, hence creating spaces for people like you. Don't worry if your ATAR is slightly below the cutoff (for any uni course) since you have the possibilities of receiving second or even third round offers.

mysticwater

HSC
N/A
Re: Is it possible to get into a unsw course even if my atar is a couple of points of

Plenty of people get into their preferred uni course even if their ATAR is below by 1-2 points. You have to consider people that may get the required ATAR but choose to reject or defer their offer, hence creating spaces for people like you. Don't worry if your ATAR is slightly below the cutoff (for any uni course) since you have the possibilities of receiving second or even third round offers.
Um do you know this from experience or from other people. Btw does it matter which order i put the preference in where its off by a few points?

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A

I wouldnt worry too much

last year someone in my year got a fairly bad ATAR I think, and he could only get into commerce at UWS ( where he would have to do hrs on a train and shit to get there) then somehow he managed to find a way to get into UNSW commerce , and that was before the first semester of the year had even started

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

I know plenty of people who have been in a similar situation to you. Your preference order simply affects what course will be taken into account first.

mysticwater

HSC
N/A

ok but like do you think it is more easier to get into b commerce/economics OR b commerce, both at UNSW? and why

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Probably BCom/BEc since there is more demand for BCom standalone, but remember, say during BCom courses, you'll be doing them with other BCom students, so I would conclude the difference to be minimal. The best would be to apply for both.

mysticwater

HSC
N/A

ok u make a good point, but those two degrees both have different amount of people that can be accepted into the course right?

Its not like b commerce/eco and the amount of people that can be accpeted is combined from b comm or b eco itself?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Yes that is true, they both have a different stream of people entering into each degree.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Probably BCom/BEc since there is more demand for BCom standalone, but remember, say during BCom courses, you'll be doing them with other BCom students, so I would conclude the difference to be minimal. The best would be to apply for both.
+1

And yes, it's possible because of nonus points are given if you come from a disadvantaged area, get EAS points, get band 5/6 in relevent subs/got the AAA award/alternative pathways :)

deterministic

HSC

ok but like do you think it is more easier to get into b commerce/economics OR b commerce, both at UNSW? and why
http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/unsw/424000.html
Combined commerce degrees with science, arts and economics have the same UAC code as commerce. This means if you are accepted for commerce, you are accepted by default for your choice of com/sci, com/arts and com/eco. So getting into b com is essentially the same as getting into b com/eco in unsw. You only apply for bcom, and then choose the extra eco degree if you are accepted.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/unsw/424000.html
Combined commerce degrees with science, arts and economics have the same UAC code as commerce. This means if you are accepted for commerce, you are accepted by default for your choice of com/sci, com/arts and com/eco. So getting into b com is essentially the same as getting into b com/eco in unsw. You only apply for bcom, and then choose the extra eco degree if you are accepted.
Thanks for the clear up. :) I just remembered they have the same UAC code.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

just apply for whatever you want in the order you want it

stop worrying whether you'll get in or not, cutoffs are inflated and general guidelines, not 'if u dont beat this u wont get in'

mysticwater

HSC
N/A

Are all the offers which you did not get accepted into, considered for 2nd or 3rd round offers regardless of which order you had them in?

babysnow

i like munchies
HSC

Are all the offers which you did not get accepted into, considered for 2nd or 3rd round offers regardless of which order you had them in?
to my knowledge, it is.

jaychouf4n

HSC

Lol gl man.

I missed out by 0.05 first round, and didn't get it in the second or final rounds. The cutoff actually rose.
Just transfer in.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

just apply for whatever you want in the order you want it

stop worrying whether you'll get in or not, cutoffs are inflated and general guidelines, not 'if u dont beat this u wont get in'
^This is what you do^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)