Is it over? (1 Viewer)

dabatman

HSC
N/A
A friend of mine asked a question that really intrigued me and caused me to reflect on this question a lot...

They asked "If I don't attend or make it in a selective school this year (cause they applied for year 11 and if you fail it is impossible to make it in for year 12) then, will I still be able to get a 99+ considering that I am from a low ranking school?"

Cause my friend really wants a good atar to get into medicine but they attend a low ranking school. This made me really ponder into deep thought and I want to know your ideas... Is it possible to gain an atar over 99? Do any of you guys know anyone who got a really high atar despite their circumstances from a low school?

Share your comments.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Anyone can get 99.95 from any ranking of school. Don't get discouraged. If your ATAR was already limited, then tons of people would have dropped out already.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Going to a low ATAR school can be a blessing. It may mean you do not get moderated. I've heard of people ranked in the 300-400's getting 99.80+

aoc

HSC
If you get 1st in everything apparently you dont get affected by the rest of the cohort and if the school is really that bad then getting 1st shouldnt be much of a problem

-Senpai

HSC
One of the BoSers from the 2015 cohort got 99.95 and went to a rank 300 + school.

So yes, it's possible :)

sourmilk

HSC
Just like how like they're some students who fail abysmally in selective schools, there are also people who perform outstandingly in low-ranked schools. A school doesn't necessarily mean you'd automatically get x atar.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
If you get 1st in everything apparently you dont get affected by the rest of the cohort and if the school is really that bad then getting 1st shouldnt be much of a problem
If you rank first internally and externally for a subject, then yes, you don't get affected by the rest of the cohort

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you rank first internally and externally for a subject, then yes, you don't get affected by the rest of the cohort
That's true but in a low ranked school it's less likely from someone ranked lower to go insane on the day and get like a 100 in chem and for you to take it as your assessment mark compared to selective schools where you can benefit since most people do good.

Yeungster

HSC
A friend of mine asked a question that really intrigued me and caused me to reflect on this question a lot...

They asked "If I don't attend or make it in a selective school this year (cause they applied for year 11 and if you fail it is impossible to make it in for year 12) then, will I still be able to get a 99+ considering that I am from a low ranking school?"

Cause my friend really wants a good atar to get into medicine but they attend a low ranking school. This made me really ponder into deep thought and I want to know your ideas... Is it possible to gain an atar over 99? Do any of you guys know anyone who got a really high atar despite their circumstances from a low school?

Share your comments.
That's a pretty bad mentality to take tbh. i get that you need a high atar for such a course as medicine, however it is not THE END, it is OVER, in the sense that there is no point anymore. As the other BOSers have testified it is possible to get a 99+ atar in a low ranking school, i myself attended a pretty low ranking school and did ok. To get 99 its all about the marks and rankings, so if you get those right ur set. To get them right, it is solely up to yourself, not the school ranking or even the teacher. And if you go tutoring and thrive there ur pretty much on par with selective school people in terms of academics.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Regardless of whether you go to a selective school, you still have to put in the effort to study. Selective school helps you to get there EASIER, but doesn't GUARANTEE IT in any way. I went to a rank 150+ school and got a 99+ ATAR, at the end of day, your mindset and persistence is the only limiting agent of what marks you can get and achieve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)