Is it hard making friends at uni? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've been concerned about this too...

I seriously am SO excited for new people, you have no idea!

But I can be a bit shy/awkward at first which is what has me concerned...

UNSW people - what was it like making friends for you? I'm not sure how many people from my grade will be going there (fingers cross I go there)

last year only ONE person went to UNSW lol.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
settle*precious said:

Same:rolleyes:.
I mean, around my friends I'm pretty extrovert but I can be a bit awkward around new people...

But I really need a change of scene/new people.

one8two

HSC
settle*precious said:

UNSW people - what was it like making friends for you? I'm not sure how many people from my grade will be going there (fingers cross I go there)

last year only ONE person went to UNSW lol.
my best friend's boyfriend goes there. he says it's a really good atmoshpere. you should be fine :)

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
if worst comes to worst, we can all hang out with Riet, he seems like a cool guy.

one8two

HSC
abbeyroad said:
if worst comes to worst, we can all hang out with Riet, he seems like a cool guy.
i think inter108 seems pretty rad.
plus, he's got sometihng on november 5.
totally my bday.

chamelia

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
There will be no trolling/troll feeding in my thread k?

So are the people you generally make friends with people that do the same degree as you?

Since you meet them in lectures/tutes.

i dunno :uhoh:
I would say generally you only meet people in your degree unless you go out of your way to find people.

Being associated with the student union, student magazine, clubs, frat parties etc would help you extend your circle outside of other classmates. But then yes - you do have to approach people, it doesnt happen so easily.

And for people who think they are shy- uni totally makes you come out of your shell. I've seen many friends who were quiet socially awkward make friends easily with little effort through uni. And the more people you meet- the more people they know and will introduce you to = more friends.

Do not stress guys! Stress about your first assignment. Stress about understanding lectures. But not this.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
BCS - i've noticed a trend in threads started by you. Let me clear a few things up

1) you will enjoy uni
2) you will make lots of friends - particularly if you a) stay on campus or b) actually have the desire to meet people
3) Internationals get a mixed reputation - but i think they're people worth getting to know. People just get upset here when they don't contribute in class

Summary - you will have fun, just stop worrying and come to uni! lol

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
As starting Varsity Quarterback i wouldn't be able to take a first year to the homecoming ball.

HSC
settle*precious said:
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd just love a bunch of awkward first years hanging off him.

lol.
Loll

Any B. Law/Med etc students looking down on the little B. Arts kid? :(

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha +1

for the record uni is easy to make friends. i was sort of socially awkward before uni and i found great friends in my time at uni.

you will tend to make friends with the people you do courses with.

and there was only a few of us who got into unsw, and i didnt really hang around that much really. i hung aroung people i just met more.

inter108

HSC
one8two said:
i think inter108 seems pretty rad.
plus, he's got sometihng on november 5.
totally my bday.
Cheers dude :D

I finish on that day xD

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
lol @ all the 08ers giving advice in the thread. seriously, fuck off.
its harder in the sense that there are no recesses but everybody is much more open. plus you and your classmates already share the same interests unlike school. the fact that you change classes every semester and your studies get more and more focussed means you should pick friends who are studying very similar degree to you. theres no point making great friends with a bunch of people doing the same core subjects as you but end up doing different majors.

sorry if i said something thats already been said, i didnt bother reading the whole thread.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Don't worry about having no-one familiar there. I was one of only two people from my school to do my course, and I was a northie in a crowd with overwhelming majority from the west and significant minority from the south. Talking here, like I know about ten people from my area out of 280 when we first started and overwhelming majority of those ten did not come from private schools. Plus my age compounded the matter.

Even I managed to find my own little group--and you wouldn't think straight off I would've fitted because of the diversity of our backgrounds. And it's probably best that there are no or very few familiar faces there anyway--forces you to become more independent and outgoing, and now I'm about as extroverted as an extroverted introvert can get.

So just pluck up the courage, and go say hi, because what's the worst that can happen? You encounter a dickhead once and never see them again. Simple.

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah go 08ers! good advice from the kids who havn't even finished their hsc ay. retards.

Friends at uni is piss easy as they are nearly all as socially retarded as you are. Also alcohol. Im sure you could be the biggest social retard ever and still make friends at uni because unis are pretty much made of social retards.

but yeah anyway more advice from 08ers please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)