Is it best to write Short answers in dot points or short paragraphs ? (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
I've always answered all short questions in dot points because that's just the way I think/write.

But after looking at some band 6 papers, I've noticed that they write out in paragraph type of responses.

So what's better ? Stick to dot points or try and articulate them into a paragraph ? lmao

Baldy-95

HSC
Might as well change the title at this rate. I personally use paragraphs but I suppose thinking in dot points is more concise.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Just write in paragraphs for safety. Generally the more substantial the response is structured the better it'll do.

Last edited:

sugartits

HSC
Back on track answering your question, i personally believe the only time it is suitable to answer it dot points is when the question states "list"

but that's for my economics, legal studies and english short answers, I don't know how science works.

If you're running out of time, dot points is what you can fall back on to

chookersminns

HSC
Paragraphs tend to flow more and get you better marks. Try to avoid dot points.

MilkDrinker

HSC
Just to get back to the topic, my physics teacher said that in the longer response questions in science, sometimes one of the mark goes to the quality of the answer and whether it flows, and in some cases answering in dot points will not satisfy this, thus you will lose that mark.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Paragraphs for short answers (for English at least)

I know some subjects allow the use of dot points (i.e. food tech) but generally stick to full sentences and paragraphs.

HSC
N/A
Hi kietkiet,

It is highly recommended to write the short answer sections of any subject in paragraph structure. This will enable you to synthesise a well-structured response that can address each section of the question in and ordered and sophisticated manner.
For example, in English short answer responses, you can support your thesis in a flowing manner that supersedes the disjointed feel created by bullet points.

All the best!

Raolan

HSC
Depends on the subject. For Software & Physics I've been told many times by my teachers that, aside from that one whopping 6-9 mark question in your elective for physics, all the markers care about is your knowledge. Writing down everything in a concise dot point form (where appropriate) is faster for both you and the marker and will not damage your marks at all. I write in dot points all the time and I averaged ~90 as my raw for software and I think around ~80 for Physics. I've seen plenty of sample Band 6 Physics answers written in a very rough dot point form.

Keep in mind though that this is for Software & Physics, two subjects that are very logical and can very easily be broken down into dot point form. I cannot say if it's suitable for any of your subjects as I don't do any of those.

watapple

HSC
i look at the question before i answer
i like it dot points and see if its possible to match

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)