Is it against the rules to use someone else's exemplar essay as the basis of yours? (1 Viewer)

w0bl

HSC
So I have this really good essay from a past state ranked student.

I want to make my essay that good, so I was going to use the same quotes and general structure in my own essay, but obviously it would be written in my own words.

Is this against any rules? Would HSC markers recognise the past state rankers quotes / same order of things and go "ah ha!" and give me 0? Or is it okay since I'm pretty much rewording everything and the quotes will support my own ideas.

Because surely not ever single essay is unique, there has to be tonnes of similar essays that markers mark.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Re: Is it against the rules to use someone else's exemplar essay as the basis of your

It depends...

If that essay was accepted in the marking centre as a top script, then coping the quotes and structure of ideas would still be dangerous because they'd immediately recognise it and give you a zero. Tbh, it's a fine line, so maybe the other BoS'ers can give their view.

And tonnes of similar essays is a generalisation imo, there are also tonnes of essays which are unique.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Is it against the rules to use someone else's exemplar essay as the basis of your

So I have this really good essay from a past state ranked student.

I want to make my essay that good, so I was going to use the same quotes and general structure in my own essay, but obviously it would be written in my own words.

Is this against any rules? Would HSC markers recognise the past state rankers quotes / same order of things and go "ah ha!" and give me 0? Or is it okay since I'm pretty much rewording everything and the quotes will support my own ideas.

Because surely not ever single essay is unique, there has to be tonnes of similar essays that markers mark.
It's technically plagiarism if you use their ideas, which is against the rules. I don't know about whether the markers would recognise it. If you use your own ideas, it *should* be allowed.

Occupied

HSC
N/A

no

how many combination of quotes r there do u think? not alot right?
therefore alot of people = use same quotes ~ish~ in their essays
as long as it's under 40% the same and doesn't show up on turnitin or some other plagarism website u should b fine

integrand has a point tho - 'technically' it's not allowed. but its kinda in the grey area and no one gives a shit about the grey zone

Last edited:

Occupied

HSC
N/A

It depends...

If that essay was accepted in the marking centre as a top script, then coping the quotes and structure of ideas would still be dangerous because they'd immediately recognise it and give you a zero. Tbh, it's a fine line, so maybe the other BoS'ers can give their view.

And tonnes of similar essays is a generalisation imo, there are also tonnes of essays which are unique.
idk
in every text there's always a very easy/apparent line of argument - and that line of argument is usually employed by ALOT of students.
in every text there r also key quotes/ events that ALOT of ppl use
no idea is unique - so correspondingly, y would the analysis which supports the idea b unique?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)