Is History ext hard? (1 Viewer)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
love.is.around said:
the cousre is very hard as it repquires you to do a mjaor project, which is worth t least 70% of your final mark hence very hard to stay focus
i dropped it becaus it was too much work and i had to focus on modern history :) GOOD LUCK
the stuff you do is kind of broing, i didnt mind, but you lerarn abot very OLD hostrionans, sometimes it is hard to stay focused and you do drift offf.
if i was you, i wud focus on your history and try and do well as it is worth more untis
my teacher said ext hsit
is like the equaivanet to a 2 unit subject
Definitely can get boring. You'll be required to study a few different historians - and some of the books are quite dry.

Although, I wouldn't say that this course is very hard. Anyone who understands and enjoys history should be more than capable of doing well in this course - the only problem is that it is unbelievably time consuming and the fact that the major work you do isn't externally marked is a bit annoying :mad1: Anyone contemplating about whether or not to do ext history, should at least give it a go. If it gets too much - then drop it. Everyone on BOS will have different opinions so it's best to just try it out for yourself.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well I talked to the head teacher today and also handed in my application form. She said it requires alot of understanding and its more about historiography and perspective rather than actual events, and that we'll probabaly work on the Major Work for 10+ months. Seems like we'll be doing Elizabeth I and her portrayal, and also she compared History Extension to a first year Masters degree in terms of understanding and difficulty :/

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Really changes your perspective on what history actually is.
In terms of difficulty, it may be hard to grasp at the start because you're no longer just studying history in general, you're also considering how history is constructed, different intepretations by historians, as well as the historian's own context influencing their response.
Exactly what my History head teacher said :)

rainonmyparade

HSC
After reading all the posts, it sounds like history ext is sort of like english extension. I need to choose between english ext and history ext but i'm not sure which to do. I'm doing pretty badly in english ext but history ext sounds time consuming.
So, english ext or history ext? :confused:

jellybelly59

HSC
wow... and i was thinking of choosing hist. ext.... seems like a heavy workload.... on top of the advance and ext. eng course im gonna do = lot and lots of reading... *sigh* guess ill just have to ask my teacher more bout hist. ext... he was too vague when describing it last time and parent teacher interviews

Kimia2409

HSC
i'm doing adv eng, ext eng and ext history and i'm ready to DIE lol like everyone else has said, only choose it if you're keen on a crap load of reading about boring shit...and are very good at writing. i thought i liked reading...turns out i don't

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
is it really that hard? I was considering of doing it since I always rank second in History Elective and 5th in Australian History. But then, my school doesnt offer classes for it. :(

JJBearPaw

HSC
My friend missed 4 classes, and was late handing in her proposal, and the teacher said to her today
"You've failed the course. You cant continue. You're going to have to drop this unit"

No warning.
Bitch.
Now she cant get a UAI.
That's not actually to do with the course, more my school...

But alot of people have dropped from the class at my school, and I think the 1 assessment is worth 100%??

Kimia2409

HSC
JJBearPaw said:
My friend missed 4 classes, and was late handing in her proposal, and the teacher said to her today
"You've failed the course. You cant continue. You're going to have to drop this unit"

No warning.
Bitch.
Now she cant get a UAI.

But alot of people have dropped from the class at my school, and I think the 1 assessment is worth 100%??
that is messed up! how can they kick someone out of a course and ruin their chances of getting a uai?

and the 1 assessment isn't worth 100%...

Kimia2409

HSC
nerdsforever said:
is it really that hard? I was considering of doing it since I always rank second in History Elective and 5th in Australian History. But then, my school doesnt offer classes for it. :(
it's not HARD but you just have to really get into reading...if you don't do the reading you're pretty much screwed for it

slowjam10

HSC
JJBearPaw said:

No warning.
Bitch.
Now she cant get a UAI.

yeah that's pretty terrible..my school's just as bad

the extension class dropped from 7 to 4 straight after half-yearlies and currently, we are teaching ourselves. But finally the school gave us a new teacher for this and modern, who also happens to be my ancient teacher...lovely woman by the way ..

but yeah extension is alot of work...but it can be quite enjoyable...beats sport any day!!

Kimia2409

HSC
slowjam10 said:
yeah that's pretty terrible..my school's just as bad

the extension class dropped from 7 to 4 straight after half-yearlies and currently, we are teaching ourselves. But finally the school gave us a new teacher for this and modern, who also happens to be my ancient teacher...lovely woman by the way ..

but yeah extension is alot of work...but it can be quite enjoyable...beats sport any day!!
haha yeah i do it during sport too....the only history extension student for '08 at my school ;)

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
I love ext hist It aint the easiest course to learn thouh coz its not like ancient where you remember dates, its all what is history and changing historiacla interpretations. Word of advice though, if you do do it....start your work early. don't still be trying to finish your first fraft a little over a week away from deadline lol

-coffee-addict-

HSC
lol kimia is right there is a lot of reading.. i dont think hard is the word to describe this class.. mayb challenging is the right word

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Is ext hist hard?
God no. seriously. It's probably my easiest subject actually.
BUt....you have to enjoy reading lots, writing lots and listening to boring-as lectures on Herodotus, Polybius, Thucidides, Von Ranke, etc etc

Go for it, you got nothing to lose

HSC
Extension History can be a heavy workload if you want it to be or it can be a bludge if you just want to get okay in it. I say just give it a go anyway, what do you have to lose?

Allan vB

HSC
This is my take on history and the history extension course. It may not be what you think but it is completely valid, as the postmodernists believe, lol...

It is an easy subject to 'tailor' to you interests. For me, I related historiography to sociology, anthropology and, particularly, philosophy (I so regret not dropping economics for philosophy) which really interested me. It is a unique subject that is most similar, in my opinion, to Ext1 English and, perhaps, Society and Culture?

It is great for anyone who has some interest in, or aptitude for, a critical 'higher order' of thinking and questioning. So if you're interested in people, society, history (any type of history) or philosophy, I say, give it a go! You'll never look back. Btw, it's my favourite subject and I am very, very biased, lol... :)

annacogs

HSC
i'm not a fan but its your choice, read up on the board of studies syllabus and course outline etc before you make your call i reckon

HSC
I was first in modern history so i thought why not. [you need to be pretty good at history i have a girl in class who got under 30% in every extension exam or work]

but like everyone is saying you have to read a shit load and realise you have to pay alot of attention. its not at all about facts like modern or ancient and its your writing style that gets top marks and your understanding of history itself.

you can not bludge the subject. you're teacher may pass you but in reality you'll fail the hsc exam.

START the major asap. lol.

20 people dropped from my class. so. some may say its hard. lol.

nmbookworm

HSC
Good to hear soem encouragement on doing the subject. My history teacher offered it to about 5 people and Im the only one whose going to do it :(

It is a bit daunting, last year at my school 7 people started it and now only 2 of those 7 are doing it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)