Is GEOGRAPHY worth IT? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
Hello!
My units are: 3 unit maths, 3 unit english, economics, physics and GEO. But geo scales so poorly its not funny and even when i get 87 its my worst subject. i've had advice from people that are doing mod history and they say its easy and that i could join and do the yr 12 course if i worked just a little harder on that subject. so is geo worth it? cause i don't want to do a subject which scales poorely and work hard on just for it to not count by a mile. or is it wise to drop it and do extension 2 english which is alot of work. i think doing that will be too much work. are there any courses that i can do in yr 12 alone?

anyway, what should i do?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
dont do a subject based on scaling
if you enjoy it then keep it

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
OMG! Geography is so totally worth it. A bit of advice: Avoid subjects that involve a "major work" (such as ext 2) because it is likely it will be due shortly after your trials which causes huge amounts of stress. Geography is not a hugely difficult subject. Furthermore, since you do economics it does overlap which could help you to do even better in yr 12. On top of that, if you have questions that u need a hand to answer ask one of us. We're here to help.

Apparantly the modern history syllabus is a nightmare! i probably wouldnt go there...

All in all, i say stick with what u know. there is a lot of kids that do bad at geography so a score of 87 isnt that bad. (and u never know, u might just like the HSC course better!)

Good luck! (choose geography! :D)

elisabeth

HSC
There is a lot more to learn in modern (HUGE, really, the syllabus is a book in its own right) than geography. If you're after a subject which will require the least effort to get a good mark (trust me, you can get above 87 if you put some work in) then do GEOG.

rev-ise

HSC
The_highwayman said:
OMG! Geography is so totally worth it. A bit of advice: Avoid subjects that involve a "major work" (such as ext 2) because it is likely it will be due shortly after your trials which causes huge amounts of stress. Geography is not a hugely difficult subject. Furthermore, since you do economics it does overlap which could help you to do even better in yr 12. On top of that, if you have questions that u need a hand to answer ask one of us. We're here to help.

Apparantly the modern history syllabus is a nightmare! i probably wouldnt go there...

All in all, i say stick with what u know. there is a lot of kids that do bad at geography so a score of 87 isnt that bad. (and u never know, u might just like the HSC course better!)

Good luck! (choose geography! :D)
I do both Economics and Geography also, i'm in year 11 atm, so you're saying it might be good to keep both of these? as i was considering dropping geography...

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I reckon Geography is the best if you got a good teacher and if u like the subject.

Think about which subject has the more motivating teacher and which subject u like better and which subject u think u'll do better in.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
rev-ise said:
I do both Economics and Geography also, i'm in year 11 atm, so you're saying it might be good to keep both of these? as i was considering dropping geography...
Yeah, i say keep it. U might be able to tie in stuff from science too in reference to ecosystems at risk. Having 12 units isnt hard and it gives u that sense of security in case u dont click with something during the year or screw up an exam/assessment.

Last edited:

frog3

geography is the most straight forward subject of the lot, its mainly just using logic. Well worth keeping

Michiru

HSC
if i had it my ways, i'd make geography compulsory and english not.

geography...it's hard to say... if you and the rest of your class did well in the prelims or are still doing well, then i think it might scale you up quite a bit. but if there are slacker, then...yea.

the hsc geography course is easier than prelims. There's really not that much compared to other courses such as bio and chemstry. also, because there's not really that much dot points, you can almost predict wat the hsc exam questions will be. =)

most of all, geography teaches you about how to become the best citizen that you could possibly be. hsc is just one tiny part of your life. But the stuff you learn geography will remain with you forever.

blue16

HSC
N/A
rev-ise said:
I also do geography and economics and i thought that when i was going to drop one of them at the end of year 11. However, i love both subjects. My school forces the idea to choose subjects that scale well so you will get a better UAI. But if you don't do well in the subjects that scale then it was not worth it. As a lot of people have said, it is worth it if you have a good teacher and you love the subject. I love economic and geography because it applies to us right now. I also loved modern history. Could not write the essays though. So i ended up dropping that subject at the end of year 11. It is up to u. Congrats if you keep it, Congrats if you don't.

Good luck next year in everything you do.

hughr

HSC
Down here in Vic it's no harder than the GAT... it's pretty much general knowledge. I reckon you can get a pretty high score doing no more than an hour a week outside of your normal classes...

xxlambchopxx

HSC
i think that you should keep it.
i only got 70% and im dying to drop it, but i cant

lcookie

HSC
ok... it does NOT scale badly if you do well and your rank is in the top quater of you class! trust me i no this cause our teachers tell us all the time!
so just do as best you can
p.s. GEOGRAPHY is the best subject EVER

Michiru

HSC
Geography is usually one of the rare subjects that lies on the 0 line in terms of scaling. So even if u DO do badly, it's ok cuz it's really not going to affect your marks that much. =)

HSC
noooooooooooo not worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!! only good thing is learnng about the environment i hate the rest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)