Is drawing reference pictures plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

umbreller

HSC
Uni Grad
Planning to do a large graphite drawing of an image I found on the internet in combination with other pieces of my work, but is this considered plagiarism as I haven't and can't acquire the rights to the image from the photographer? Considered tweaking features of it a bit so it isn't so obvious, but I really like the photo as it is so not keen on changing it dramatically.

Also a question about external marking of BOWs - do the HSC markers only see the title and artworks, or can you attach a small passage to explain the piece? Thanks.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I think its fine if its a photograph however unless its dramatically different

Also for the external marking of BOW's I'm pretty sure they only get information regarding form and title as they are the only thing BOS says need to be submitted on my bos student online account.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
that said underneath your title (included?) apparently if you say inspired by such and such then it may be allowed.

Note I would recommend you talking to your art teacher as I'm just a year 12 2014er doing art so do not know all the logistics etc.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you need to acknowledge the source of the image in your visual arts diary, furthermore it is generally not advisable to use someone else's photo for a large scale drawing unless you have very good reasons to and it concurs with your thematic concerns. Have you considered being inspired by the photographer and take similar photos for yourself instead? Furthermore, I don't think the markers see a passage of you explaining your work, it is usually the artwork and title, if you get selected into the art express, that would be another story. Hope this helps a bit:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Funny, my teacher was talking to me about reference photos today :p

I think as long as you make it distinctively yours, it shouldn't be a problem. By 'distinctively yours' I mean turn the photograph into your own style when you transpose it, tweak it slightly and make it yours.

I think HSC markers also read your artist statement in conjunction with the submission of your major :)

edit: may be wrong about HSC marker's stuff, but its hard for them to mark you on conceptual resolution if they don't know what your concept if (do you feel what I mean?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)