Is Coles Myer silly or not?? (1 Viewer)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
well, I've had my Coles Myer group interview sometime in August. I waited and waited for more than two weeks and there was no news! No phone calls, no emails but a status notice on my CM account telling me that my 'line manager interivew failed' (which umm... there has never been one?!)

So i went to other job interviews and got an offer. Then today, out of the blue, all of a sudden, after more than a month later (actually i think it's about two months!!!). the recruitment officer called and asked if i am still looking for a job.

so i said in a neutral tone (but really I was feeling slightly angry), 'sorry, I am already employed'
then he asked if it's in the same industry, then I said, 'yes it's in the retail industry...'

I mean, if they are interested in hiring me, they could've at least notify me (whether by self-generic or otherwise!) telling me it's in progress. Wouldn't most people start looking for another job if they are desperate to find work and that they've been told that they'll find out results in about 'two weeks', however they've heard nothing?!

on a more positive note, for those who have went to CM interview and still haven't got the results. Don't be despair- there's still hope!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, there is an irony in the Coles Myer process because they will rarely get the best people for the job.... if people are desperate for a job and are actively searching, and they have the qualities which make them good employees, then they will be snapped up before coles myer gets around to calling them back. E.g. I had already been offered 3 other jobs before coles myer contacted me back offering me a job.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah it took about 2 months for them to call me back too. Luckily for them I was a lazyass who hadn't bothered looking anywhere else.

reptile

Yeh I attented that group interview, I almost forgot about it! I really hope they hurry up, I need money!

waterfowl

HSC
That's strange, my process was very quick. I had the group interview, one-on-one interview and the group pre-employment (signing forms, tour of store etc) within about a month from applying online.
Where you guys applying for stores that don't have many positions? Or do you not have experience and maybe they didn't like that?

But I know how frustrating waiting can be. At the end of 2002 (November) I applied for a job at Woolys but I never heard from them. Anyway I looked for another job and applied for Subway. I finally got offered the job at Subway in about February of 2003, and only two hours after I accepted the job at Subway, Woolys rang up to see if I was interested in a position. I politely said, "No I already found another job."

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
When I got a job with Coles, they actual called me and asked me if I wanted to go in for the aptitude test. I never even put in an application form. 3 hours after they called me, I had a job :)

Turns out someone who worked there that I knew thought that I might want a job, and they were short on people so they had to find and hire people quickly so they could start working quickly.

nik_noodle

HSC
hey there,
yeah coles/myer are slack. I had my group interview back in july or something and i was sucessful, so i quit my job at the restaurant (ive been there 3 yrs and wanted a change, wanted my friday/saturday nights back, and wanted some extra study time) thinking that id be starting work soon, but I only finally got my individual interview yesterday and then they actually looked like I was putting them out, when i said 'look i cant start training next week, ive got my HSC, the dates were on the form from the group i/view'
sucky!
and about the staff...is it just me, or do they all look like they're having a miserable time. I'm a rather loud, chirpy fun loving person, (im a good worker..just enthuastic as well :p) and after visiting a range of their stores (and the one im supposebly working it) im left thinking 'am i going to become a sulking slob after workng here for a week' *groans*
Theire recruitment process is weirddddd...
Love Ya's

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Mine expreince , hasnt been that bad

August 14 ( or some last in August) - I aplied
August 21 - Got an interview offer
Aug 28 - Went for an group interview
Sept 9 ( or so ) - got a email saying that I had progressed further
September 21 - Got a call saying that they I had a second interview

Now just waiting for my local store to phone me ( it should be in the next week or two)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
nik noodle - did you get the job on the day of the interview?

it would be so much easier if people were organised.

nik_noodle

HSC
no i didnt. the lady who interviewed me had only just started at the store...said they'll call me in a week or so....meaning, no doubt, sometime in the next year *rolls eyes*
-Nikki

Generator

HSC
N/A
With so many applicants they are able to cherry pick the people who seem like the best option at the time... It isn't as though they are missing out on those who may turn out to be excellent workers.

And...

It's your own fault if you put all your eggs in one basket before you have been offered (and then successfully completed) a shift or two.

Shonabona

HSC
N/A
Coles myer has many applications to go through, it will take a while and you have to be patient, 2 months is not a long time to wait for the largest retail industry who has millions of applicants to go through to call you back.
I went for the group interview, waited, and just the other day got asked to have the one on one, It went well, and I will get the job. Being impatient will not show you are mature enough for the job.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Generator said:
It's your own fault if you put all your eggs in one basket before you have been offered (and then successfully completed) a shift or two.
what do you mean by that?

Generator

HSC
N/A
nik_noodle's post. He/She quit another job before being offered a position within a Coles-Myer store. The person didn't leave themselves with much room to move, that's all.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Generator said:
nik_noodle's post. He/She quit another job before being offered a position within a Coles-Myer store. The person didn't leave themselves with much room to move, that's all.
oh yeah lol i thought that was strange

maybe nik_noodle didn't realise how it works? nevertheless, if you have a job you shouldn't quit it until you've done training at least for the new job

Last edited:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Shonabona said:
Coles myer has many applications to go through, it will take a while and you have to be patient, 2 months is not a long time to wait for the largest retail industry who has millions of applicants to go through to call you back.
I went for the group interview, waited, and just the other day got asked to have the one on one, It went well, and I will get the job. Being impatient will not show you are mature enough for the job.
oh well, too bad for me.

I hope that you'll get the job :D Good luck!!

nik_noodle

HSC
actually, if you read the whole message, I quit the restaurant for a number of reasons, and I wasnt whinging about the fact that I hadnt started (im quite happy to wait until after my exams, I would have only done minimal shifts in the leadup anyway), it was their general disorganisation in a number of cases that makes me roll my eyes.
and yeah thanks, i did understand the process, but I have plenty of money saved away and can do casual shifts at the restaurant any time i want.
just thought id clear that up!

Scanorama

HSC
I went for the interview on 16/9.
Got an email saying I've proceeded further and they are allocating a store for me on 1/10
As at this moment, I'm still waiting for the second interview.......

I guess I just have to be patient with Coles Myer. I bet they will ring me one day when I have almost forgotten about the Coles Myer thing.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Shonabona said:
Being impatient will not show you are mature enough for the job.
I don't think impatience has anything to do with maturity- a lot of people rely on work to live, eat, survive. Hence if they find themselves out of work they have to get themselves back in to work ASAP. Hence, they are impatient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)