Is Chemistry a NEED for Psychology? (1 Viewer)

nifty03

HSC
Just wondering if chemistry is THAT important for studying psychology and umm how fundamental is fundamentals of chemistry?
does it start from like the very beginning?
or do they just revise whatever is basic very quickly and move on?
help plz :(
:apig:

Edit:
Been surfing around checking informations for most of the day, and didn't find any straight forward answers. so tired... *yawn*

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
fundemental chemistry i heard, is for ppl. who didn't do hsc chem- i.e...its very basic!

but yeah, chemistry can b helpful for psych. i reckon- especially wif all the chemicals in the brain and stuff. :D

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by nifty03
Just wondering if chemistry is THAT important for studying psychology?
No. They do cross over a bit, but everything that you need for psychology is already in the course, I don't think doing chem would help that much or give you any sort of advantage.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
No. They do cross over a bit, but everything that you need for psychology is already in the course, I don't think doing chem would help that much or give you any sort of advantage.
yeah true that- but do that as an elective (if u can do chem. as elective, and if it interests u). :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
My gf has finished first year b psych without doing any physics or chem (or science other than psych)

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sunny
My gf has finished first year b psych without doing any physics or chem (or science other than psych)
Impossible! A requirement of 1st year B.Psych is that you take 2 semesters of another science (be that physics or philosophy, whatever you want). So either your girlfriend isn't doing B.Psych, or did do 2 semesters of science ;)

nifty03

HSC
Thank you pplz ^^
Okay, i don't do b psychology. i am in science. but umm i want to either transfer or major psychology.
and so far, i chose psychology, 2 philoshopy, and 1 maths.
i dunno if it's good enough.
my mum insisted me to do chem instead of philosophy.
i am sorta confused :(

Edit:
all my friends do not recommend me to do chem 'cuz they did it and it sucked..
what should i do pplz?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Impossible! A requirement of 1st year B.Psych is that you take 2 semesters of another science (be that physics or philosophy, whatever you want). So either your girlfriend isn't doing B.Psych, or did do 2 semesters of science ;)
hmm...yeah, my friend is doing sociology, linguistics and maths for his electives- so yeah, u could b right. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
My bad! I didn't consider biology and math to be sciences :D ;)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im doing some psych subjects ATM, and whilst we havent gotton beyond the history of psych, i cant see chem being a total need, i mean, it cant hurt to have done it, but i dont think you will be totally lost if you havent done it before.

are you yr 12 or 1st year? if your year 12 and get into psych, and are worried about your lack of chem knowledge, look into doing a bridging course.

nifty03

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess

are you yr 12 or 1st year? if your year 12 and get into psych, and are worried about your lack of chem knowledge, look into doing a bridging course.
i am a first year, doing science, wanting to either major psych, or transfer to psycho.
:)

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Okay, i don't do b psychology. i am in science. but umm i want to either transfer or major psychology.
and so far, i chose psychology, 2 philoshopy, and 1 maths.
i dunno if it's good enough.
my mum insisted me to do chem instead of philosophy.
i am sorta confused :(
Edit:
all my friends do not recommend me to do chem 'cuz they did it and it sucked..
what should i do pplz?
If you're not out of time do philosophy instead of Chem! I can tell you now (as a B.Psych/MBBS student), that Philosophy (particularly Thinking About Reasoning) is a lot more helpful in Psychology than Chemistry (in fact, several aspects of the philosophy course were raised in my S2 Psych course).
Why does your mum insist you do chem?

Originally posted by sunny
My bad! I didn't consider biology and math to be sciences :D ;)
Haha.. and who would!? j/k

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
im doing some psych subjects ATM, and whilst we havent gotton beyond the history of psych, i cant see chem being a total need, i mean, it cant hurt to have done it, but i dont think you will be totally lost if you havent done it before.
What uni are you at? Cos some of the unis aren't very adept at teaching psychology, and even have it in their Arts faculty :eek:

nifty03

HSC
If you're not out of time do philosophy instead of Chem! I can tell you now (as a B.Psych/MBBS student), that Philosophy (particularly Thinking About Reasoning) is a lot more helpful in Psychology than Chemistry (in fact, several aspects of the philosophy course were raised in my S2 Psych course).
Why does your mum insist you do chem?

Cool thanks.
oh my mum has a few friends who did (mastered i think) psychology, and currently struggling to make a living, so she was against me doing psychology in the first place. Then, those friends of hers told her that chem was important. so she was telling me how i should do chem and all.
but anyways, thanks for the information. u don't know how much i love psychology and philosophy, and hate chem :(

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Cool thanks.
oh my mum has a few friends who did (mastered i think) psychology, and currently struggling to make a living, so she was against me doing psychology in the first place. Then, those friends of hers told her that chem was important. so she was telling me how i should do chem and all.
but anyways, thanks for the information. u don't know how much i love psychology and philosophy, and hate chem :(
Well her friends probably didn't go to UNSW.
(Clinical, Forensic & Organisational Masters graduates have a 100% Employment rate from UNSW), regardless of what elective they took in 1st year ;)

nifty03

HSC
ahhh i c hehe thanks for clearing that up.
now i know what i need to do... hehe excellent...
*makes my mum read this thread and j-belle's posts*

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Well her friends probably didn't go to UNSW.
(Clinical, Forensic & Organisational Masters graduates have a 100% Employment rate from UNSW), regardless of what elective they took in 1st year ;)
what- where did u hear this "100%" employment thing from? *shifty look at j-belle*

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
what- where did u hear this "100%" employment thing from? *shifty look at j-belle*
Although I'm only really commenting on graduates from recent years, every single masters student in those 3 streams secured employment before even leaving the uni (remember at UNSW they only let around 10-15 people in the whole uni do each of those masters).
Anyone with a DCP/Clinical Masters from UNSW/USyd gets snapped up instantly - no question of employment.

For Forensic, UNSW has a program set-up between itself and the government - generally, 70% of masters students go straight into work with the police and gaols when finished, and the other 30% go into either the government or a private firm (and since hardly any uni's offer forensic masters, the demand is very high).

For organisational masters, every single student already works for a firm during the 2-year degree (not for work experience, as in the demand is that good, that they all are employed already (7 students told me the going rate is $110/hr, which sounds like good $ for a student!), just not as an official Psychologist, moreso as a consultant, and I'm told most continue that job, unless they are head-hunted (meaning they'd just work somewhere else even better)..

Now you see where the figure comes from? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)