Is anyone else too nervous to study? (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
This whole situation has made me way too nervous, my trials are on Monday next week I’ve basically been spending my days zoning out and daydreaming to attempt to cope with the anxiety. I mean I did decent across all my other internals so I’m hoping this won’t affect me too badly… also early offers for Western Sydney come out tomorrow so i’m manifesting 🤞

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
This whole situation has made me way too nervous, my trials are on Monday next week I’ve basically been spending my days zoning out and daydreaming to attempt to cope with the anxiety. I mean I did decent across all my other internals so I’m hoping this won’t affect me too badly… also early offers for Western Sydney come out tomorrow so i’m manifesting 🤞
I think you're nervous because you don't want to look at the material and realize you don't understand some concepts with the exam coming up. There's no other way to get over it but to just grind it out, and even if you end up not understanding some of it, it's certainly a whole lot better than where you'd be if you didn't study.

Luke322

HSC
I’m just gonna say it cause no one else will. Get your shit together and start grinding. This will be your future so don’t fuck it up.
I think it is important you do study. However, your ATAR isn't the be all end all by any means. I would not say the HSC is your future; your ATAR does not define future success. Certainly, in multiple echelons of society employer's do not really care about your ATAR- I believe they'd see your university achievements and commitments as far more important. It is important however that you do try your hardest and get into the course you want. This will certainly put you on a good path for the future.

DarkOperator618

HSC
are your trials weighted?

if they are then get tf to work lol cus that's all you can do atm

if they're not, then fkn chill out like me lmaoo

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is important you do study. However, your ATAR isn't the be all end all by any means. I would not say the HSC is your future; your ATAR does not define future success. Certainly, in multiple echelons of society employer's do not really care about your ATAR- I believe they'd see your university achievements and commitments as far more important. It is important however that you do try your hardest and get into the course you want. This will certainly put you on a good path for the future.
She's said she is doing well at school and all that is stopping her is nervousness. For a student who is doing quite well at school and seems like she doesn't want to drop I don't think an alternate pathway would be her choice. I'm not undermining your good opinion about alternate pathways but in this very moment, for a student doing well, it is important to recognise the magnitude in which performing well in this and upcoming exams will affect her future.

zizi2003_

HSC
She's said she is doing well at school and all that is stopping her is nervousness. For a student who is doing quite well at school and seems like she doesn't want to drop I don't think an alternate pathway would be her choice. I'm not undermining your good opinion about alternate pathways but in this very moment, for a student doing well, it is important to recognise the magnitude in which performing well in this and upcoming exams will affect her future.
I agree

We only have 2 more months to go, grind as much as you can. If you've done well and worked so hard so far, why give up now? You don't want no regrets !!

Leadmen4y

HSC
r your trials open book? it's actually possible to be somewhat prepared if it is. just have your notes or download someone's off acehsc or whatever and do past papers, 2 for each of your subjects with them on the side, if you're internals were decent I'm guessing you most likely can get mid to high band 4 with this much prep.

if not, you just have to go all out and try to strategically "time" your revision, cram the 1st test (English I'm assuming), when english is over, cram the other, and hope for the best. Worst comes worst, pop off in externals, all the best.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You came a long way in the last 2 years, it wouldn't reflect all the effort and hard work you've been putting throughout the last couple of years if you choose to give up now. Think about your goals, your aspirations, where you want to be in the future. Let those kinds of things motivate you. Forget about what's going on around you and focus on your studies, that's the only way to get through this, and not just get through this, but do so amazingly!

All the best with your WSU application! 😄

Remember, your potential is:

1629279462600.png

Luke322

HSC
I'm not saying she shouldn't work hard- of course she should try her hardest and do as well as she can. I'm just saying if her end result isn't as good as what she expected then it's ok; the lockdown has been hard on all of us and uni's are offering special placement programs etc. I wouldn't actually say the HSC has an extremely big impact on your future as a whole but I am by no means any expert. Of course, doing well in your HSC is good and shows you that you can work hard and achieve good grades. Telling someone whose suffering anxiety to "get your shit together" and "don't fuck up" isn't the best thing to say either anyway- anxiety is a serious issue affecting people's lives.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not saying she shouldn't work hard- of course she should try her hardest and do as well as she can. I'm just saying if her end result isn't as good as what she expected then it's ok; the lockdown has been hard on all of us and uni's are offering special placement programs etc. I wouldn't actually say the HSC has an extremely big impact on your future as a whole but I am by no means any expert. Of course, doing well in your HSC is good and shows you that you can work hard and achieve good grades. Telling someone whose suffering anxiety to "get your shit together" and "don't fuck up" isn't the best thing to say either anyway- anxiety is a serious issue affecting people's lives.
Mental health part is fair enough but in regards to those who use "anxiety" as an expression rather than an actual mental health issue, it's important they receive a wake up call. It's very easy as a graduate to say that HSC isn't that important, but for students like us, it's literally the final step until adulthood and independence.

Luke322

HSC
Mental health part is fair enough but in regards to those who use "anxiety" as an expression rather than an actual mental health issue, it's important they receive a wake up call. It's very easy as a graduate to say that HSC isn't that important, but for students like us, it's literally the final step until adulthood and independence.
How do you know that they're using anxiety as an expression rather than an actual issue? Anxiety is an actual mental health issue and is a very serious problem, like all mental health issues. The problem is anxiety is ridiculed by a lot of people and that makes it worse. Having sympathy for someone that has anxiety is just common human decency. I was brought up indoctrinated with the belief that the ATAR is my life and not getting above 99 will ruin your chances at future success. This year has really opened my eyes about the HSC; I would not say it is the final step towards independence- you are actually quite guided during your time comparatively to university. It certainly is more independent than any other year of schooling yes. Further, I feel as though you are equating adulthood with independence; that is not the case.

Last edited:

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know that they're using anxiety as an expression rather than an actual issue? Anxiety is an actual mental health issue and is a very serious problem, like all mental health issues. The problem is anxiety is ridiculed by a lot of people and that makes it worse. Having sympathy for someone that has anxiety is just common human decency. I was brought up indoctrinated with the belief that the ATAR is my life and not getting above 99 will ruin your chances at future success. This year has really opened my eyes about the HSC; I would not say it is the final step towards independence- you are actually quite guided during your time comparatively to university. It certainly is more independent than any other year of schooling yes. Further, I feel as though you are equating adulthood with independence; that is not the case.
Did you even read my 1st sentence. I said "for those" who use it as an expression. I also acknowledge that I don't know what she is going through by stating if it is indeed her condition then "fair enough". Most people freely utilise the word anxiety without recognising that it is a condition.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel like I've been openly acknowledging every single one of your opinions whilst you've just been nitpicking information from my comments that suit your story. Can any third party who has been reading the ongoing conversation interject and give their opinion on where I've gone wrong with my opinion. I believe I've been fair with my opinions if you read them as a whole.

Luke322

HSC
Did you even read my 1st sentence. I said "for those" who use it as an expression. I also acknowledge that I don't know what she is going through by stating if it is indeed her condition then "fair enough". Most people freely utilise the word anxiety without recognising that it is a condition.
Apologies about misunderstanding your first sentence. I agree that there are many forms and types of anxiety; it can be labelled a serious mental health issue when irrational and interferes with an individual's daily life.

Luke322

HSC
I feel like I've been openly acknowledging every single one of your opinions whilst you've just been nitpicking information from my comments that suit your story. Can any third party who has been reading the ongoing conversation interject and give their opinion on where I've gone wrong with my opinion. I believe I've been fair with my opinions if you read them as a whole.
What do you mean by "my story"? What I'm saying is an opinion not a story. I do disagree with some points that you said earlier but I don't feel I am "nitpicking information"- although that is my opinion. I'm sorry if I've come across as offensive or rude; that was not my intention.

cloud_berry

HSC
Ok to clear up confusion I didn’t intend to use it as an expression here, I was supposed to get EAS but I haven’t been able to get the documents back due to lockdown. But yeah it has become ingrained into daily language, so its understandable there’s been a misunderstanding, but let’s just be more mindful in the future.
Anyways I was planning on taking a gap year anyways because i’m severely lacking in the soft skills department - I don’t think I mind taking extra time to get there because I should probably get my shit together before throwing myself at uni. I suppose it’s still good to get a placement early or right before the HSC rather than going to college or prep programs for an extra year though. As for the trials they are luckily open book but unfortunately still weighed 30%.

Leadmen4y

HSC
FYI, and correct me if I'm wrong @cloud_berry but she's aiming for an 85 ATAR not undergrad med or law lmao so maybe chill with the acrid comments telling her to "get ur shit together" it's not nice to hear something like that, especially off the internet.

Like I get the point of emphasising but I believe you could've achieved a similar effect while retaining some respect for OP. Not everyone's a 4u maths chem phys student that's aiming to get 99.95 for med or whatever, some people just want to get in the course they want and enjoy the last year of high school (especially given the current situation).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)