Is A Plot Neccessary? (1 Viewer)

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
Ok, i was having a discussion with my EE2 teacher talking about problems i was having with my plot - namely that it was tacky, corny, and too teenage-angst like. Also, because i am writing an appropriation i didnt want to carbon copy what happened in the play that i was approaprating from.

He thought about this for a moment and asked - "Do you need a plot".

Those words kind of echoced in my mind! My immediate reaction was of course it does! But it got me thinking even more...

At this point, i should inform everyone that im writing about someone who is mentally ill, and im attempting to conceive the story entirely in the realm of her mind, using this to illustrate her degression into madness.

With that said, the abscence of a plot wouldnt have THAT much of a bearing on the events, since it exihibits that cause is suuplementary. The effect is in fact the crux of my major work, and hence the cause is peripheral.

in MY opinion... i think that i can only do without a plot IF and ONLY if the rest of my story is a work of pure literature gold :p lol... i need help guys = please offer anything!!

Last edited:

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
i agree with you, everytime i start thinking about a plot for my story it just seems really contrived. We're told to write about what we know and research what we don't- so stupid IMO. We're 17 year olds doing the HSC so of course whatever we write will be "teen angstish". My story has no plot. It's turning out to be a very bloodless, lifeless and depressing collection of words. Can't help u sorry.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
it's always easier to write depressing than uplifting IMO

Alimoe_KG

HSC
miaomiao said:
i agree with you, everytime i start thinking about a plot for my story it just seems really contrived. We're told to write about what we know and research what we don't- so stupid IMO. We're 17 year olds doing the HSC so of course whatever we write will be "teen angstish". My story has no plot. It's turning out to be a very bloodless, lifeless and depressing collection of words. Can't help u sorry.
That's sad to hear =(
Don't give up!
Tell us your ideas and we'll help you get through it! :D

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
thanks guys. not sure how far you have helped, but have helped none the less.

what do other's say about a story without a plot?

i remeber reading one story called "the book of ands". it was about this man who founda book that had 100 pages of just the word "and" over and over again. and he starts going crazy after attempting to actually READ the book. but what happens is he begins filling the blanks between each and about his own life, the ands serving as the conjuntions bewteen a pastiche of mixed memories.

really good story.

but still even then - it still has a plot, however medicore and unsubstantial it is.

MY STORY tho is about a girl's digression into madness. and i have this whole water/river metaphor about her "reflection"... very narcissistic. so dont think i have a one dimensional story about a crazy girl!

lol, come on, i know the 80 something people who read this post but didnt reply would be able to help somehow!!!

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
I think your idea sounds great. If your worried about it being too teen angst or plotless- don't. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger could most certainly fall into these categories and it's my favourite book of all time... maybe lean away from making it sentimental or sob-storyish but thats just me personally.

OutOfOrder

HSC
well actually.. my teacher (a marker too) told me its more about style than context?
So i guess if you write an awesome story thats good 2 read, but has a kind of pointless plot, you'll be right :D

for the record, my plot is pointless, but im quite liking what ive got down so far!

and am i the only one NOT doing a depressing story???

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
I would not say my writing is depressing per se. But it deals with reality so take form that what you will...

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
thanks miao and order, at the moment i need all the reassurance i can get :p

i just wrote an entry in the bigger EE2 forum, the thread is called "is a plot a neccessity"... it started out the same but i got a few more views there, so i would love if u could continue it over there.

i wrote an new entry that explains my m.w abit more, and i would love to know what u think :)

katesaurus

HSC
flip_flop said:
Ok, i was having a discussion with my EE2 teacher talking about problems i was having with my plot - namely that it was tacky, corny, and too teenage-angst like. Also, because i am writing an appropriation i didnt want to carbon copy what happened in the play that i was approaprating from.

He thought about this for a moment and asked - "Do you need a plot".

Those words kind of echoced in my mind! My immediate reaction was of course it does! But it got me thinking even more...

At this point, i should inform everyone that im writing about someone who is mentally ill, and im attempting to conceive the story entirely in the realm of her mind, using this to illustrate her degression into madness.

With that said, the abscence of a plot wouldnt have THAT much of a bearing on the events, since it exihibits that cause is suuplementary. The effect is in fact the crux of my major work, and hence the cause is peripheral.

in MY opinion... i think that i can only do without a plot IF and ONLY if the rest of my story is a work of pure literature gold :p lol... i need help guys = please offer anything!!

HEY! i went through the exact same thing: no plotline, to teenage angst... and now i am also writing from the mind of a psycho
great.

so much for originality haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)