Is 12 units too much??? (1 Viewer)

evanish

HSC
N/A
I'm kind of stuck with whether to go through the HSC with 12 units (Adv Eng, 4unit maths, Pdhpe, Chem, Physics) is that too much? Or should i stick with doing 11 units (Adv. Eng, 3 unit maths, pdhpe, chem, physics) ? I'm really worried cause everyone i've talked to says that you've got to put out like 4 hours of maths a night!!! My friends tell me to just try it out and if i don't like it drop...but i'd have to do so much work and a lot of that time could be used elsewhere. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks =)

evanish

HSC
N/A
evanish said:
I'm kind of stuck with whether to go through the HSC with 12 units (Adv Eng, 4unit maths, Pdhpe, Chem, Physics) is that too much? Or should i stick with doing 11 units (Adv. Eng, 3 unit maths, pdhpe, chem, physics) ? I'm really worried cause everyone i've talked to says that you've got to put out like 4 hours of maths a night!!! My friends tell me to just try it out and if i don't like it drop...but i'd have to do so much work and a lot of that time could be used elsewhere. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks =)
“Age is of no importance unless you are a cheese.” -Billie Burke

grimreaper

HSC
You dont need to put in 4 hours a night with 4u maths. Just do the work in class and do as much as you need to at home to complete understand each topic, then when it gets toward the end do past papers

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I did it, with subjects very similar to you. The thing is, I'm a really good crammer. I got a =1st in 4unit (24/26 in conics) and a 100% in 3unit (easy real world applications) from studying the night before

Go bludginess!

omg_a

HSC
i did 12 units. am doing 12 units. hmm. adv eng, bio, chem, 3u maths, 3u french. i did 4u maths for a term before i dropped and picked up ext french. we did it before school which totally exhausted me, mon wed, fri at 7:30. plus i started to fall behind, no way i could do all the set hw. and i really wanted to do french ext, more useful, but 13 units definitely too many. so in general 12 units are fine, but the fourth unit of maths is more like another 2, even if you are a genius.

SelphieBoffin

HSC
I'm also doing 12 units. I was thinking of dropping Ancient earlier in the year, but then I got equal first in the half-yearlys, so it seemed kinda stupid to drop it.
But I haven't really studied much at all for history yet, firstly because its my last exam, but also because I don't want to lose study time for other subjects on a subject which I don't think will be counted towards my UAI.

FlyinTyger

HSC
i do 12

4 eng, 3 maths, 3 jap and phys

its not too bad cos maths and jap overlap and english is now all over except for extension :)

but its all ok
not too bad 12 units is good i reckon, makes you feel more confident and safer

S

Shuter

I do 12 units.
2U advanced english
4U maths
Economics
Biology
Physics.

For anyone else that's probably a full work load but I've managed to get to this point doing 0 homework throughout the year, only compulsary assessment tasks and study for each exam ranging from 1 to 2 days before. I still managed to fit in up to 6 hours of TV and internet a day.

It's all about not applying yourself.

For those who wonder I came 25th english, 4th 4unit, 7th 3U, 1st Bio, 3rd Eco, 3rd Physics.*

I do wish I had done more, but you know, I'm special. I won't get what I could of acheived but probably something decent enough anyway.

You should know if you're able to handle 12 units, it's not whether you have the time, but whether you can be bothered enough to spend the time on it.

*Results not typical, consult your teacher should pain persist.

Last edited by a moderator:

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I did 13 units for my HSC and didn't find it too hard.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i am doing at the moment before i change my mind for year 12:

advanced english
3 unit maths
extension history
ancient history
legal studies
chemistry

i was actually doing extension english, but i doubt that the teacher could teach us properly. she couldn't teach in year 11, doubt if she could teach it properly in year 12, i felt it was unneccesary to risk 3 units of english in my teacher's hands. i knew that i could do well in extension history.

wanted to do 4U maths. the results didn't show my true potential, plus far too time consuming.

and anyway i would have 13 untis. i think that it might make it too hard to work well. too stressful as well. better to do just the twelve. you can rely on a 2 unit cushion to save you.

only you know yourself whether or not the twelve units is time consuming.

sub

its good to do more...in case. :)
not too hard, but 4u will eat up time...always does

inasero

Reborn
HSC
12 is definitely do-able...i juggled 14 and i came out fine...just make sure you don't hold on to that extra unit 'just in case' when its clear you're gonna fail, or else it will be more of a liability than an asset

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
drop pe it prob wont count if your alright at those other subjects

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, 12 units is the magic number at our school...it's do 12, do 12, do 12....yeah, as said above by sub, 4u maths will take a lot of time....dunno about physics or pdhpe, but yeah, you've just got to organise your time well. Remember, there's always time for those who plan for it--quote from somewhere....

Good luc! (atm I'm trialling 13 units...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)