ipt useful? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i know i'm only in yr 10 atm but since i'm doing ipt next year and starting to regret that decision, can any of you give me advantages (and advice) in doing ipt in yrs 11 and 12? just asking cause i'm not sure if all saints senior let me change subjects after two weeks. also are there any reliable textbooks for the course in yr 11?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Taking your queries one at a time:
can any of you give me advantages (and advice) in doing ipt in yrs 11 and 12?
Read ahead, definately.
Memorise definitions
Do your homework and exercises
just asking cause i'm not sure if all saints senior let me change subjects after two weeks
They should let you, as my school would let people change, if there were enough numbers in the other class, and if it didn't clash with any other subjects you were undertaking.
also are there any reliable textbooks for the course in yr 11?
Gk Powers - Preliminary IPT textbook

This is your new holy bible to IPT :)

When I did year 11 IPT, I wanted to purchase the excel IPT guide, which wasn't in production/printing at the time, so the earliest print run had been Sept 2003 or so, after my course finished (preliminary)

I ended up buying Excel HSC - year 12, and it wasn't all that useful IMO, but still good to have -- if you've bought it, you might as well use it, right? :)

As far as Year 11 goes, it should be an easy ride for you, just don't slacken off at the end thinking you're going to ace the course and whatnot, because the HSC course is more difficult than the prelim (which makes sense), and relies on your preliminary knowledge to progress onto the HSC course.

good luck with the studies, and if you're finding IPT boring, etc - think seriously about dropping it or continuing, as you'll benefit either way (depending on how well you are as a student, etc)

all the best freakstar :)

Agent Z

HSC
I found IPT very different to what I thought it would be. You would think that it's a lot of hand's on practical work like programming, but in fact its the very opposite. In IPT, we rarely got any computer time.

It's also quite dry. We had about 50 people doing the course at the start of year 11 and that number dropped significantly now. I know many, many, people who have dropped it as it wasn't what they were expecting.

Instead of computer work, i found it to be a lot more documentation based. Such as what are the components of a Project Plan etc.

My advice would be, to see how it is for the first 2 weeks and if you dislike it even slightly drop it, coz it's not going to get any better.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Agent Z
I found IPT very different to what I thought it would be. You would think that it's a lot of hand's on practical work like programming, but in fact its the very opposite.
You have have been better suited to:

1. Software Design/Development (SDD) for the programming aspect

or

2. IT (VET) for the 'hands on' computing experience.

Doesn't compare to your PBL (uni desires), but Dentistry (postgrad) is PBL :D :D (no relevance, I know, but I read about B.Dent so I thought I might include it in the post).

:)

Agent Z

HSC

Doesn't compare to your PBL (uni desires), but Dentistry (postgrad) is PBL (no relevance, I know, but I read about B.Dent so I thought I might include it in the post).
lol! yeah, im actually going to do cisco next year.

and also my sis is in first year uni at adelaide, doing medicine and that uses PBL, so that's where I got it from.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I actually found IPT better than I thought it would be. Depends on how interested you are in computers and technology, I think, because it's really a lot of full-on theory.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
okay i couldn't be bothered reading the previous msgs cuz i'm a lazy ass.

BUt.... IPT wasn't right for me cuz ... i like computers.
that doesn't make sense...
but ipt is actually more business based rather than technology i think :)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
umm yeah ipt is useful - if you do i.t. - for me anyways

i like computers but ipt isnt what i expected it to me.. theres alot of social and ethical issues and yeah.. its alright - i still like it though...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Agent Z
I found IPT very different to what I thought it would be. You would think that it's a lot of hand's on practical work like programming, but in fact its the very opposite. In IPT, we rarely got any computer time.
Originally posted by Huy
You have have been better suited to:

1. Software Design/Development (SDD) for the programming aspect

or

ot IT Multimedia..(but it wasnt offered in my yr at my school so i dont know if it was at your school either. apparently its a new course, but i dont know if my teacher meant new to my school or new to the state?)

but back to the question..i guess ipt is really good..but dont go in expecting 100% computer time..and make sure you hassle your teacher to give you lots of theory because although theres not much computer time, a lot of it is wasted playing games.
it also depends on what you wanna do in later life..like, if you want to do something relating to computers or business i guess it would be good.
but its really just upto you to see if you like it or not

Huy

HSC
N/A
it also depends on what you wanna do in later life..like, if you want to do something relating to computers or business i guess it would be good. but its really just upto you to see if you like it or not
I don't want to do anything relating to computers at all LOL! (or business for that matter)

I don't love the subject, I just do it (Nike... *whistles*)

It serves a purpose, something to fill in time (I must be really bored then ;) :p)

-- But I do like the subject, "it's okay I guess..." :D :D

TrickmA

HSC
its extremely easy yet extremely theory based.

SDD is more Practical.

rx72c

IPT Is easy, if you put effort in it, i could scare 75% in a exam without opening a book. When i studied i would go into the 80s, and when i say study, i mean 2 hours in the morning before i do the exam.

IPT is a great subject do it, get yourself a 90 and scaling wont harm you.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rx72c
IPT Is easy, if you put effort in it, i could scare 75% in a exam without opening a book. When i studied i would go into the 80s, and when i say study, i mean 2 hours in the morning before i do the exam.

IPT is a great subject do it, get yourself a 90 and scaling wont harm you.
True.. i got 83% in the trials without studying.. but thats partly due to my teacher being an easy marker. In the HSC it will be different..

If you took studying IPT seriously this stuvac (like, summarising the text book, in my case) then you should have no problem getting 90+.. Theres alot of common sense involved, but also some tricky stuff that you have to know too..

rx72c

Right on mate, if you want to know how to study for IPT, the method i use is take a chapter for e.g chapter 1, and i would right a heading Project work. Then i would branch that out into the system development cycle and branch each stage out into its stages and steps, like a spider diagram, allowing me to link every part of the chapter, aslo allowing me to link chapters together.

Thats my 2cents worth.

fatmuscle

HSC
hell yeah!

I got *just* under 90 with an ok IPT mark. It was one of the marks that counted towards my final mark too. It wasn't the mark that pulled me down either. That was english. I nearly failed that =(

del

HSC
N/A
agree... with the above... got over 90, IPT counted.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by **freakstar87**
so is it possible to get a UAI over 90 if i do well in IPT?

Definately
!

If you get a Band 6 for IPT, I'm sure you'll get over 90 (assuming all your other subjects/combinations are top notch as well, mainly Band 5's and 6's - or even 1 Band 4? Just to make it into 90) :)

I am using IPT as one of my top 10 units, looking for a 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)