IPT or Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

IPT or Chemistry?

• Total voters

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I am thinking of changing from IPT to Chemistry. The preliminary course looks interesting, but not sure of the HSC course, what are some of the things I need to look out for?

So I might have the extra 2 units of Chemistry when it comes to HSC time.

P.S I am not sure if I like Chemistry either.

If you could send me some samples of what you do in class, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

beehappy

HSC
If your aiming for a 98+ ATAR, do Chemistry :) i did IPT accelerated and the HSC course is pretty much the same as the Prelim course: just a little bit added on. Its fairly easy, but I don't think it'll be worth the effort.
Thats just my opinion.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Engineering Studies | Chemistry

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Engineering Studies | Software Design and Development

Which do you think will be better for me?

I don't really like the HSC chemistry course.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Engineering Studies | Chemistry

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Engineering Studies | Software Design and Development

Which do you think will be better for me?

I don't really like the HSC chemistry course.
have you seen what's in the HSC chemistry course?

btw have you thought of other subjects? coz our school is not just limited to chemistry and IPT. there's a WHOLE heap of other subjects (if you wanna make it easy just check the line you're on)

EDIT: just to confirm is your IPT on line 5?

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to get a 99+ ATAR without Chemistry, with my subjects?

I have seen the course, it looks boring.

P.S IPT is on line 5, how did you know?

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to get a 99+ ATAR without Chemistry, with my subjects?

I have seen the course, it looks boring.

P.S IPT is on line 5, how did you know?
It is possible to get an ATAR of 99+ with your subjects, heck its possible that either IPT, engineering or SDD would count...
and that you're doing MX2, english adv and physics (you have to do well in them though)

Engineering aligns like shit though (so you should get more than 90 in the exam in order to get at least 90 for the final exam mark)

Oh and I have a copy of the lines :p

btw if you wanna change from IPT you can check the subs on line 5 - I'll give a list of them right now

- Ancient History
- Biology
- Computing Applications
- Chinese Heritage
- Drama
- English Adv/Standard/ESL
- IPT
- General/2U/3U Maths
- Music 2
- PDHPE
- Physics
- Visual Design

or you should contact me if you wouldn't mind changing lines xD

Last edited:

x_cp3

HSC
wtf dude why would u do chemistry in yr 11 and drop it in yr 12. rediculous

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It is possible to get an ATAR of 99+ with your subjects, heck its possible that either IPT, engineering or SDD would count...
and that you're doing MX2, english adv and physics (you have to do well in them though)

Engineering aligns like shit though (so you should get more than 90 in the exam in order to get at least 90 for the final exam mark)

Oh and I have a copy of the lines :p

btw if you wanna change from IPT you can check the subs on line 5 - I'll give a list of them right now

- Ancient History
- Biology
- Computing Applications
- Chinese Heritage
- Drama
- English Adv/Standard/ESL
- IPT
- General/2U/3U Maths
- Music 2
- PDHPE
- Physics
- Visual Design

or you should contact me if you wouldn't mind changing lines xD
No Chemistry? On ATAR calculator 93 Engineering is higher than 90 Chemistry.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
No Chemistry? On ATAR calculator 93 Engineering is higher than 90 Chemistry.
It's harder to get a 93 in engineering than it is in chem.

If you need chem for your uni course than you should go for it but if you don't need it & think you can do well in IPT do that instead.

x_cp3

HSC
mate just do w/e u enjoy. Personally i would not do a subject if i don't like it and i would NEVER do it just because of the scaling.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It's harder to get a 93 in engineering than it is in chem.

If you need chem for your uni course than you should go for it but if you don't need it & think you can do well in IPT do that instead.
I am dropping IPT in Year 12 anyway.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am going to do Chemistry as I enjoy somewhat of it (if they let me change that is). Thank you guys for your input.

IPTer's you have under 6 hours to convince me why not to choose Chemistry. :)

Off to study!

FTW

HSC
I am dropping IPT in Year 12 anyway.
I wouldn't think about that if I were you.
I was in the same situation with Business, Physics and Engineering.
I knew once I started business that I would never do it again yet I went into year 11 thinking I would drop physics and keep engineering.
As it got to half way through the year and I was sticking firm with keeping engineering, and started to slack off in physics and not pay attention or listen in class. You can probably tell where this is going by now, I ended up dropping engineering because I didn't like it, and now I am stuck with physics and am finding it harder than I would have if a didn't go into year 11 with that attitude. I am essentially now doing the HSC physics course with close to zero prelim knowledge.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't jump to conclusions and make sure you consider all options very carefully.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Thank you, I heard that story of yours somewhere back in 2010 on Boredofstudies.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you are certain that chemistry will be better for your ATAR in the end. If you don't like the HSC course, you aren't necessarily going to get a higher ATAR due to scaling. If you're not sure, then don't drop anything yet.

FYI I missed out on all-rounders because of chemistry (band 5) while getting a state rank in IPT. It's obvious which one contributed more to my ATAR. But that's just me; do you find IPT easy and/or enjoyable compared to chem? How are your marks at the moment?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
No exams at the moment, I am more of a Mathematics and Physics person. IPT is easy, I like IPT and Chemistry equally.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
No exams at the moment, I am more of a Mathematics and Physics person. IPT is easy, I like IPT and Chemistry equally.
I would keep both then. Probably doesn't help since you have so many units though lol.

Off-topic: Nice av =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)