IPT compared to Software Design (1 Viewer)

peter19

HSC
I'm in term 4 of year 11 (AKA the start of year 12) and i dropped Software Design as it was extremely hard. I didnt really put the work in but none the less the subject was insanely difficult. I didnt think it would much harder than IPT (Came 3rd in my yearly) but bloody hell. It was impossible. Anyone else have the same problem.

EDIT: Spelling QQ

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Yes, Software Design And Development is a million times harder to achieve a Band 6 for than it is for Information Processes And Technology. Even though I came first in both subjects in Year 11, I didn't even pass the final preliminary SDD exam... no one did. So, yes, the subject is crap, but like you, I didn't study enough to know practically anything, I just raped all the assignments.

nubix

HSC
To me, IPT has more common knowledge, has a lot of stuff I already know. SDD is more technical, it's stuff that consumers don't need to worry about.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
SDD is a million times harder than IPT. Even though I came first in both subjects I only got 68% in my trial for SDD compared to a high mark in IPT...

petro283

USYD '10
HSC
I went from 64% in the half yearlys (Yr 12) for SDD to 81% purely because I got 95/100 for my Major Work. That is basically all I am good at, and I am fairly confident for a band 5 in the hsc....

Keep working hard :D

HSC
I'm pretty good at both subjects, and plan to come first in the state, at least in software :p

I think software is much easier than IPT, because for software, you don't even really need to know much, as long as you're a programmer, you will do well. Me having done programming for the last...like 8 or 9 years of my life, software to me is a peace of cake.

IPT is all about knowing 100% what's in the textbooks, and since I use the computer 24x7 I already know a lot of the stuff there, so it just makes it even easier.

I find the hardest part of both subjects is the diagrams, with IPT diagrams being slightly harder. I write like an essay for every 1 mark question in each subject - that's how well I know the content, but the diagrams...fuck - if it wasnt for the diagrams I'd get 100% :p

IMO the SDD course is extremely outdated, all the programming methods and stuff they teach us is extremely outdated, all the diagrams are outdated, all their gay non-indexed two-dimensional arrays are absolutely ridiculous.

They need to be teaching php or c++, or another very storng oop language with a proper syntax, yet most of the course revolves around weak languages like basic and visual basic, etc.

Most of the things they teach us, in regards to sorts and searching stuff, string manipulation is done in 1-2 easy functions by modern 3rd and 4th gn languages, they should be teaching much more advanced stuff like OOP, complex modular design, team projects, etc.

You guys should be happy the SDD course is so easy, it could (and should) be much harder.

As for the IPT course, well it's just a pushover. Read the textbook the day before the exam and you'll get 95% at least.

Last edited:

petro283

USYD '10
HSC
I present to you the ShitTalker 3000 for 5 easy payments of just $59.95

dot dot dot

nubix

HSC
Wow, found a person that does exactly the same subjects as me. Didn't think anyone would sink to my level.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
petro283 said:
I present to you the ShitTalker 3000 for 5 easy payments of just $59.95

dot dot dot
LMAO. i'd love to get first in the state in SDD for laughs. :D

anyone who thinks SDD is easier than IPT must be really really really really damn good at applying things and really damn bad at remembering things or must be delusional :p

betonit169

My Username Sucks....
HSC
IPT is way more boring, and its so pointless, whereas Software can actually be used in real life, its not stupid databases, its coding and programs.
Software may be harder, but its worth it :D

HSC
Martyno1 said:
anyone who thinks SDD is easier than IPT must be really really really really damn good at applying things and really damn bad at remembering things or must be delusional :p
Well, I got 3MC wrong on IPT and 2MC wrong on SDD, so by that logic, I can only conclude that SDD is, in fact, easier than IPT.

betonit169 said:
IPT is way more boring, and its so pointless, whereas Software can actually be used in real life, its not stupid databases, its coding and programs.
Software may be harder, but its worth it :D
I disagree, IPT has loads of useful stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)