iPrimus rolls out 2Mbit+ ADSL (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
iPrimus has begun utilising more of the ADSL1 specification by announcing two new 2Mbit+ ADSL plans.

Available only within 1.5km of an iPrimus enabled exchange, the plans have a minimum speed of 2048/384 but could potentially go up to 6144Kbps depending on line conditions.

The "Total 2400-1200" plan provides 12GB of downloads for $49.95, with shaping to dialup speeds once the data limit is reached.

The "2000-400" plan provides 400MB of downloads for $29.95, with excess usage charged at $0.15 per MB. However, this plan does not have a data cap — which at these speeds could result in excess usage bills running into hundreds of dollars if usage is not closely monitored.

While a small amount of iiNet and OnTheNet customers have had connections of 2Mbit/s and over, Primus is the first ISP to offer them on a large scale.

PrimusTel representative Paula Cavenett would not comment on the number of DSLAMs that are currently active, except to say that "We own our own DSLAM units at a number of exchanges and these are typically located in most major city centres throughout all states." However, it is widely expected that iPrimus will be significantly expanding its network of DSLAMs over the next couple of years.

Credit: whirlpool.net.au

I am seriously considering signing up with these guys ;)

neuro_logik

HSC
Not really :p cable gets better speeds overall, my friend gets an average speed of 450k but it depends which sites he is dowloading from. If I had to choose between the two I would go for cable. But what DSL or cable can't touch is ..... fibreoptics!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
neuro_logik said:
Not really :p cable gets better speeds overall, my friend gets an average speed of 450k but it depends which sites he is dowloading from. If I had to choose between the two I would go for cable. But what DSL or cable can't touch is ..... fibreoptics!
cable can go crap as, mush worse than ADSL, as ADSL is fixed speed relatively, while Cable depends on how many users have cable in the area.

dangerousdave

HSC
neuro_logik said:
(Sings MC Hammer) nah nah nah nah, nah nah, nah nah, Can't touch this!

I hate living in a unit, I cant get cable :(

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
superbird said:
The "2000-400" plan provides 400MB of downloads for $29.95, with excess usage charged at $0.15 per MB. However, this plan does not have a data cap
one word... EVIL!

superbird

HSC
I think the bandwidth with cable is shared between users in your street, whereas ADSL isnt. I think ADSL has greater speed consistency.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
dammit, i can't get it!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
neuro_logik said:
Sweet mother of Jesus! 2Mbits/s, too bad I'm too far from the exchange :(
How can you tell how far away from an exchange you are....

Bone577

HSC
N/A
superbird said:
I think the bandwidth with cable is shared between users in your street, whereas ADSL isnt. I think ADSL has greater speed consistency.

From what i know (which may be very little) cable has no real speed limit, and is always restricted by signal strength and the computer/connection you are downloading from.

But on to purely practical analysis. I have seen cable go 1.4Mbytes/sec, that is 14000Kbits/sec.

A friend of mine claims he has reached 2Mbytes/sec, and I don't doubt him, though I haven't seen it with my own eyes.

As such ADSL still has a long way to go before it reaches cable speeds, but I would still take a high-speed/unlimited ADSL plan over a cable plan in the same cost bracket since it usually provides for more overall downloads.

Last edited:

Jeo

If I somehow get cable to work, it works at 10Mbit, so there is no competition with AUS ADSL yet.

superbird

HSC
i think i am "just" out of the exchange area for parramatta. i wonder if i am still able to get it though

theone123

blue essence
HSC
damn, at first i thought TPG's 1500/256 for 50 is cheap, now the 2000/384 is better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)