IPhO Australian Team (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Why was there no Australian International Physics Olympiad team last year (2007)?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
kurt.physics said:
Why was there no Australian International Physics Olympiad team last year (2007)?
because no one actually took it upon themselfs to register though the correct people? teachers don't tell students about these kinds of things (well at least not at the school I went to), and by the time the students hear about it somewhere.. they are already at uni.

cheney31

HSC
thats exactly the point..
but as far as i know ruse has proper class for this kind of stuff?

geodetic

HSC
N/A
Actually, no team was taken because of political concerns. It was in Iran last year and Australia wasn't the only country who were reluctant to go (the US were also, but eventually attended). However, Aus still had an APhO (Asian Physics Olympiad) go to Shanghai even though it didn't go to IPhO.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
geodetic said:
Actually, no team was taken because of political concerns. It was in Iran last year and Australia wasn't the only country who were reluctant to go (the US were also, but eventually attended). However, Aus still had an APhO (Asian Physics Olympiad) go to Shanghai even though it didn't go to IPhO.
alright that makes sense, but the fact still stands that the DET or its schools and teachers do not go to any measures to tell students about it, and how they can get involved.

geodetic

HSC
N/A
I agree. It's mostly only in schools with a tradition of being involved that students are told about it, a pity because it's an opportunity to actually understand the physics, rather than just memorise paragraphs of text, as is normally the concern of HSC students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)