IP: Music video?? (1 Viewer)

toms

What do you reckon are the chances of a music video being accepted for video drama?

I mean, an appropriate script would be in there, along with the "conveying of the narrative using appropriate video language" and everything...

As for the length, well the song would be a least four minutes, and the rest can be filled in with pre-music narrative stuff, like setting the scene, like the RnB music videos do these days..

I know it's a quite late to restart, but this could work well if I'm allowed to do it...if anyone knows the answer please let me know ASAP!

And on Monday I'll call the Board of Studies and ask them...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
toms, I think that you COULD do it, but i don't know if a music video will maximise your marks. Cause, sure, you need to write a song get it performed, do a story, but i dont think it would be in your best interest. Because remember your going to be up against people who will do the whole deeper meaning, exploration of narrative, english stuff (like wat maddogz did) and yeah, do u think a video drama could beat that??

thats just me, what does everyone else recokn?

toms

A few months ago I called the Board of Studies about use of music in videos, and they said that you CAN use any song, without having to obtain rights for it etc. because the video was not being sold or distributed in anyway. The only thing you had to do was acknowledge the song and artist in your credits..so I wouldn't have to write a song and record it etc...

One of the videos in OnStage (or OnScreen, whatever) last year had music from The Matrix in it..the one about the guy being chased by the Matrix agents...

But still, music aside..I'm not entirely sure that I would be limited in anyway..I can still explore different themes and ideas, just without dialogue..and looking at last year's OnStage videos, dialogue wasn't really a key element...

It'd be the same as a normal video drama, just with music over the top of it, and my central character lip-syncing to the song every now and again...

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
wait... do u mean like a music vid. where your actors are mouthing what the words are like on video hits, or a narrative, that is based around a song. cause i guess the second would be fine. Just as long as you dont have them lipsyncing lyrics like a music vid.

toms

Well, I thought that I'd have a story central to a character, who would act as the singer..and occaisonally lyp-sync as if he/she was the artist, maybe. Just depends on the story, and if it fits in.

I haven't chosen as song as yet, but I've been thinking some form of ballad. Definitely no up-beat pop songs or hip-hop rhythms, just slower, emphatic songs that develop tension and heighten the senses, just as a good movie can do. And the song would be lyrically based as well, allowing me to develop a narrative from loose ideas within the lyrics. I thought that because the song tells a story that the story wouldn't be my own work..but if I interpret the lyrics in a completely different way, rather than reading them straight as they are written, well, that would be ok.

As for a song...I do particularly like "Everytime" by Britney Spears. It's on her 'In The Zone' album and was actually written by her, for a change. I know what you're all thinking, but it could work...

Any thoughts?

BTW, thankyou so much for helping out with your thoughts...it means alot...:D

Last edited:

toms

Ok. I just called Lisa in the Board Of Studies Drama office..and the bottom line is no. No, just like a documentary a music video clip is not allowed. Just as the name suggests, video DRAMA must be a story. Oh well..back to my old idea.

toms

I'd tell you..but I'm not exactly confident about putting my ideas on a forum as yet...but it involves a dancer audition. That's as far as I'm going...lol...

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
okay - here's my low-down on the situation (btw - notice i'm back form my holiday in fiji!)...
I reckon you COULD do a music video... but not to a pop song, only to something with minimilist vocals... for me, i looked at my IP vid from last year as a film clip... the soundtrack was vital... i mixed together 20+ songs together, then developed my concept around this soundtrack... i wrote the script whilst listening to the music, imagining the cuts/transitions/effects - and then i drew the storyboard the exact same way... so i DO believe you could do a music video... Just don't make them realise it's a music video... Take for example some video clips you see on MTV/VideoHits/etc... the perfect example that comes to my head is the video clip to "Love on the Run" by Chicane... Pretty much it was a short story (video DRAMA), with a narrative... so yeah - that's my take... whats ur opinion?

mejam

Yeh, I agree. Soundtrack is really important in my video drama too. I've done basically the same thing as you with listening to music and then imagining the cuts and so forth. So I don't see the problem in making it a music video once its not all cheesy and boy band. Once there is a obvious addition of narrative i don't think they care that its based on songs.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
well, i dunno - i agree to a certain extent... if there are lyrics in the song(s) you use for a soundtrack, and there is visuals that somehow relate to the lyrics - i think you'll lose many marks... Hence, the reason i suggest songs that are instrumentals... You can find many of these on soundtrack CDs to good movies! otherwise you can have a look on the net... Last year, www.mp3.com had a genre "film/tv/soundtrack" which had many cool things on there... I'm not sure if it's still there though, if it is - it's well worth a look... Another tip i have is to find songs with limited lyrics... let the audio complement the visuals... don't let it override them...

crjeong

I've just finished my video IP, and its essantial a music video, because there is no dialogue at all. Its just a narrative based around the music.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
so u mean the concept is relating to the song? is it a pop/top 40 song? or is it instrumental? congrats on getting it finished so early - you should be proud!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)