Investment Banking - which degree to do? (1 Viewer)

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
Hi all,

I completed my HSC back in 2005 and only achieved a UAI of in the high 60s. Since leaving high school I've been working as a financial planner at a family-run firm in Parramatta and have, since the beginning of this year, have been studying the Bachelor of Financial Advising at UWS (PARRA) full-time as it was the only degree related to financial advising that would still allow me to work full-time given my UAI.

Over the past six months, I have been entertaining the possibility of leaving the financial planning profession to enter the investment banking industry. I was wondering if any of you would be able to inform me of the degree that you believe to be the most relevant in establishing a career in investment banking that is offered at USYD. Furthermore, if any of you have information related to the likelihood of my application being successful - given that I've only undertaken one semester of study (plus I received three units of credit for a Diploma in Financial Planning at FINSIA) - that would be very much appreciated. It should be noted that I am currently 19 and as such, would not be able to apply as a mature age student.

Thanks in advance!

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
I should probably mention that I'm coming first in my degree - which the course co-ordinator is willing to confirm if I do finish first at the end of the semester - with a current HD average.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
notwithstanding said:
I should probably mention that I'm coming first in my degree - which the course co-ordinator is willing to confirm if I do finish first at the end of the semester - with a current HD average.
Then transfer to usyd or unsw, otherwise you have little chance.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
notwithstanding said:
You're only 7 weeks into a degree and you're apparently coming first:confused:

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
Velox: Thank you very much for you input - that link was very helpful. If I manage to keep up my grades, and with my work experience, do you think I'd have an OK chance at getting into BCom mid-year.

ari89: Not that I have to defend myself to skeptics like you, but lasted I checked, people who are in my degree at UWS are actually 11 wks into a 15 wk program, with only finals to come. So yes, at this stage, given the fact that everyone who started the degree that I'm in this semester is studying exactly the same four core units, I am currently topping the degree. And just so you know, the reason why I have access to this information is because I can actually build rapport with people, which involves having tact, but I guess that's a skill that comes with maturity.

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
I just got off the fone with the careers advisers at SYD and he said that it wont be possible to transfer mid-year because I need to have completed at least a full year of uni. He went further to say that, given my work experience, I should have no trouble being accepted into the BCom degree next Autumn, as long as I achieve a HIGH credit - D avg, and that if I achieve a HD avg for the year, I MIGHT be able to get into Com/Law.

Anyway, thanks again for your help! All the best,
-RT

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
notwithstanding said:
Not that I have to defend myself to skeptics like you, but lasted I checked, people who are in my degree at UWS are actually 11 wks into a 15 wk program, with only finals to come. So yes, at this stage, given the fact that everyone who started the degree that I'm in this semester is studying exactly the same four core units, I am currently topping the degree. And just so you know, the reason why I have access to this information is because I can actually build rapport with people, which involves having tact, but I guess that's a skill that comes with maturity.
I never said you had to defend yourself, I just found it a very silly conclusion. And you're actually only into the 10th week of the semester and 9th week of teaching so no need to stretch the truth. It isn't actually a hard achievement to have outrageously high marks mid semester especially if they're half subjects like principles of econ, intro to business law or AIM but until you've finished a semester, had all the marks scaled and received your GPA they mean shit. But good luck with your marks so far and hopefully you get equally easy subjects next semester in order to receive a high average to transfer.

But you are correct! As you said, you are a very mature person and I obviously am not. Only mature, well grounded confident people take every inquiry as an attack and sadly I could never live up to that standard.

Last edited:

hungryaussieyum

HSC
N/A
scoring a HD average? must be ridiculously easy then. anyway mid semester don't mean anything, they're a lot easier than finals.
when you get your final grade, dont be shocked if you end up with a pass.

why bother with IB? so many people are trying to get in as well.

you done only general maths correct?lolz

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
hungryaussieyum said:
scoring a HD average? must be ridiculously easy then. anyway mid semester don't mean anything, they're a lot easier than finals.
when you get your final grade, dont be shocked if you end up with a pass.

why bother with IB? so many people are trying to get in as well.

you done only general maths correct?lolz
Your post is wrong on so many counts. Ok the OPs chance of getting into IB in a front office role is low, however just because he is scoring a HD average, it doesn't mean his course is ridiculously easy. Many of my friends are doing commerce or maths or engineering and have HD averages. Those courses are not 'ridiculously easy.'

Im sure he has thought about why he wants to go into IB. I dont see how the point of 'so many people are trying to get in as well' should affect what career you want to go into?

And lastly, past performance isn't a reliable indicator of future performance. With a bridging course, he will be fine for first year maths providing he puts in the effort.

You're better off giving constructive advice even if its critical, rather than 'loling' at the OPs situation.

OP: As Seraphim said, try for a lower firm first, like boutique/family then you might have a shot at PWM (private wealth management) at an Institutional. That sounds more feasible.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bachelor of Jew helps heaps.

However, you have tainted your transcript with UTS. You will never find a job in IB.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Me knows that you can transfer from UWS into USYD law with a HD average. My brother's employee did it (except he was HD'ing UWS Law...). Give it a shot, and you will be surprised (either by acceptance/rejection).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nah it doesn't work that way. they take 50% UAI and 50% converted GPA to indexed ranking. so if you had a 90UAI, I don't think even an HD average could get you in. However, if you had a 96UAI and a D average you should be able to get in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)