Investigation question (1 Viewer)

findsome1

HSC
Aye, would any1 know how to solve this question.

You are to show the decomposition of a carbonate by heat using appropriate tests to identify carbon dioxide and the oxide as the products.

Describe how you selected the carbonate to investigate?

I dont really know how to answer this question

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know if this is a bit late but a could one to do is copper carbonate.

Place copper carbonate into a test tube. place a rubber stopper with a bent glass tube coming out of it onto the top of the test tube. pour some limewater into another test tube. Heat the copper carbonate test tube and dip the bent tube into the limewater.

Carbon dioxide is identified when limewater turns cloudy.

The oxide is identified due to the colour change. Copper carbonate is green i believe and copper oxide is like black? i cant remember from the tip of my head but there is definately a colour change if u use copper carbonate. A colour change indicates a chemcail change and hence new products.

hope that helps.

octopie

HSC
NB: the "bent glass tube coming out of it" is called a gas delivery tube.

If you wanted to be more specific, carbon dioxide reacts with the calcium hydroxide (limewater) to form the precipitate calcium carbonate, which is why the limewater turns milky.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
hehe there you go octopie got it :) i was brain dead then so forgot the names of my equipmetn lol

octopie

HSC
hehe there you go octopie got it :) i was brain dead then so forgot the names of my equipmetn lol
Haha my chem teacher was just stressing the importance of equipment names so I drilled it into my head. Turns out she was right, the exam we just got back had a question where we had to draw a diagram of this experiment. It specifically had to be named, and the end of the tube had to be in the limewater. Otherwise no marks D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)