• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Interview (1 Viewer)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm not exactly sure of the correct answer to your question #23... so I will tell you what I know from personal experience...

The principal of the school where I work (as a Teacher's Aide) says that when she conducts interviews for staff she is looking for their personality, and what they can bring to the school in terms of extra curricular experiences for the students. She already knows that they are a good teacher, otherwise, how would they have gotten that far in the interview process??

Please bear in mind that this is ONE PRINCIPAL'S OPINION, and not the interview process verbatim..

Personally, however, I think that uni grades become the same as a UAI after a while.... once you have proved yourself as a good teacher, there is really no need to look at your grades. Who cares if you can write a good essay? What's more important is if you can successfully teach every student in your class right??

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
EEEEP!!

I completed my application and booked my graduate interview yesterday!

It's really happening!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I have all the stuff for both the NSW and ACT applications all over my desk/bed/floor..... it needs to disappear.. I'm doing it this year!!

Do you graduate this year WithoutWings?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
How'd yours go Stacie?

Mine was good, they were really nice and told me that I had said all the right things, so I was happy about that :D

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Mine was ok, I get really nervous in these kind of situations and I didn;t really settle into it I just wanted it to be over. I thought it was pretty intense actually, they were both writing down my answers at the same time, so after I spoke there was this kind of awkward silence while they both wrote..mine were really hard to read as well, they would smile and nod if they really liked something I said but otherwise they were pretty unreadable. Some of the questios they asked were really longwinded as well

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
ugh.. the long winded questions...

"Theres three little boys sitting over there and they're being very dsruptive and annoying, what do you do?"

But then I started to answer and he started talking over the top of me!!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
you can take things in with you as well. I took in a sheet of paper with some of my examples written down just in case I got stuck but I didnt use it.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I had put together a document titled "Sarah's Teaching Journey" with a short speel and pics (they loved the pics) about each of my practicum experiences and my experiences working in preschool and with kids with disabilities... it gave me something to talk about and reference.. and they were really interested in looking at it......

I've ticked "anywhere in the state" on my application, and yes I'm hoping to get targeted... but if i dont the interview told me that there's a good chance I will have a full-time job within 5 years becuase i ticked that box

eep!

Can't wait!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I have only really put down newcastle-central coast-sydney on my application. I really want to go overseas, and I don't know for how long, and I decided that if I change my mind I can change it later

gem_max

HSC
I had my interview yesterday... and the day didn't go smoothly at all really.

First I couldn't find the school, Google Maps was incorrect! So I was in a tizz when I arrived, all my well thought out responses vanished.

Then I found half my class (small uni) waiting in the foyer... the DET were running late after dawdling in the morning. By the time they got around to me they were 1.5hrs late and I had frozen to death waiting. So they really rushed me and I found them a bit rude really, all that talking over you and interrupting. And the questions were really ambiguous, they admitted it too.

The admin guy had been out in the foyer with us just before the interview telling us what t would be like, emphasising that we'd have plenty of time to draw things out in conversation and that we had to really SELL ourselves. So I went in there with my usual passion and excitement, all bouncy, feeling great, and walked out feeling horrible.

I think I'll still pass it and everything, they did nod a lot and jot down a few things, but the rushing and interruptions really made it hard to do a job I can feel confident with.

I hope everyone else has interviewers that are organised and actually LISTEN. Even though we are all in competition I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)