Interview Workshop Sydney UWS & UNSW Medicine (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
My name is Jason a Stage 3 University of Sydney Medical Student. I have over 7+ years of tutoring experience but now mainly focus on primary school students for selective school exams and interview training for medicine/dentistry admission.

I have a passion for mentoring and teaching. I have so far helped many private students obtain offers in medicine and dentistry in various universities including UWS, UNSW, USYD, UAdel & BOND.

I have spoken to medical school interviewers and have attended many interviews myself. I understand how daunting the interview process can be as I have learned through experience and advice from interviewers the techniques and responses required to perform well in the interview.

UWS interviewees 9:30am – 3:30pm on the 28th of September 2013
UNSW interviewees 9:30am – 3:30pm on the 5th of October 2013

REGISTER NOW
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Xk_M0CSz48tgIi9JW3Tvh2FcdpmlpYn1mG7c5uoX5mg/edit

Why start interview practice early?
Interview scores can account for up to 50% of the entrance criteria for medicine. Having an excellent ATAR and UMAT score is not a safe indicator of obtaining an offer. A student I knew with 99.90 ATAR and 98% UMAT was not given an offer for medicine.

Professionalism and practicing the right responses may take many weeks to months to achieve even with the right guidance as it all comes down to PRACTICE!

The Workshop
The interview workshop will cover general approach to the interview and its etiquettes.
Questions from the specified university will be broken down and analyzed together.

Students will be interacting with each other and the workshop leader during the entire duration. Students will also be provided with a set of notes and past interview questions to help them prepare for the university specified.

Lunch will be provided (most likely pizza). If you have special dietary requirements or allergies we are unable to accommodate for this so please bring your own lunch.

Duration of the workshop is 6-7 hours with short breaks and a lunch break.

The venue will be announced closer to the date somewhere close to the city.

Small class size – Spaces are limited!!

Price
$225 for one day's course
20% off for bringing your friend (20% off $450)
30% off for bringing 2 friends (30% off $675)

If you have any questions feel free to private message me.

I will not reply to trolls and flamers. I am providing this as an opportunity for any students interested. If I have posted in the wrong section I apologise would appreciate it if I can be directed to the right section.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1. How do you know about UWS and UNSW interviews when you go to USyd? Surely you would've picked an undergrad option over USyd. So how do the customers know you know your shit? Have you ever been offered a place to study medicine at those universities?
2. Needing to practice months for an interview that is supposed to test your true character may show you don't belong in medicine and you might end up being excluded from the course anyway. A week of practice should be enough for anyone who has a good underlying morals system.
The interview is more about morals, ethics, and communication than your personality.

lawstu

HSC
Medman, I am certain that users appreciate this offer and I don't have a doubt you are indeed up to snuff, but there are some issues here. Given the stakes here and on principle, I thought it would benefit others if I were to post, no matter how paternalistic this might be.

You're a recent user without an established track record, and there are no proper disclosures. The claims that you put forward cannot, as yet, be verified. Therefore, for transparency, could you in fact assure and ensure that you (sing. or pl.; are you part of a firm?) are as you say?

As you would understand, transparency is very important, so please dispel these concerns raised by Riproot and myself. Cheers.

Medman

HSC
Riproot are you doing medicine right now? If you are then you should know one aspect interviewers are looking for is a non-judgmental character. Being in USYD medicine doesn't mean I haven't been to UWS or UNSW interviews. Customers don't know whether I know my shit because this is the first time I have decided to put together a workshop as I have only privaetly tutored students for interviews before and they have all been offered offers except 1 individual. No I was not offered to study medicine at UWS or UNSW previously because due to my lack of maturity and experience. That being said USYD interview questions overlap a lot with UWS interview questions and over the many years of studying medicine you get a better understanding of what interviewers are looking for. I have also talked to past interviewers and hence, have a sound understanding of their criteria.

Interviews is a performance. If you have good morals, ethics and a suitable personality to do medicine it doesn't mean you are able to communicate it across. Students in Year 11 and Year 12 also have not been exposed to the professional world as such and do not understand the etiquette of the interview process. This is all covered in the workshop.

I understand if you are criticising of this post but you can phrase your questions in a much nicer manner.

@Lawstu. I understand the concerns about this workshop like I said I am taking a stab here. If I can get the numbers I will run the course and let the students decided themselves whether or not I am capable of teaching this. I registered a business with a business partner called Next Academy but we are the people running it. I have designed and created the course myself.

PS. I'm not a fan of forums therefore, I have not created an account previously.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Riproot are you doing medicine right now? If you are then you should know one aspect interviewers are looking for is a non-judgmental character. Being in USYD medicine doesn't mean I haven't been to UWS or UNSW interviews. Customers don't know whether I know my shit because this is the first time I have decided to put together a workshop as I have only privaetly tutored students for interviews before and they have all been offered offers except 1 individual. No I was not offered to study medicine at UWS or UNSW previously because due to my lack of maturity and experience. That being said USYD interview questions overlap a lot with UWS interview questions and over the many years of studying medicine you get a better understanding of what interviewers are looking for. I have also talked to past interviewers and hence, have a sound understanding of their criteria.

Interviews is a performance. If you have good morals, ethics and a suitable personality to do medicine it doesn't mean you are able to communicate it across. Students in Year 11 and Year 12 also have not been exposed to the professional world as such and do not understand the etiquette of the interview process. This is all covered in the workshop.

I understand if you are criticising of this post but you can phrase your questions in a much nicer manner.

@Lawstu. I understand the concerns about this workshop like I said I am taking a stab here. If I can get the numbers I will run the course and let the students decided themselves whether or not I am capable of teaching this. I registered a business with a business partner called Next Academy but we are the people running it. I have designed and created the course myself.

PS. I'm not a fan of forums therefore, I have not created an account previously.
I also know I need a healthy dose of skepticism.
I wasn't being judgemental, just asking more probing questions to truly understand your situation.

Also, you say you have attended UWS interviews. This means you've signed the disclosure statement which was a contract stating you would not talk about the interviews.
Yet you're charging money to give out your knowledge of the interviews.
I don't think that is ethically (and maybe legally) correct.

Medman

HSC
It was a long while ago if you must know so that disclosure statement should be now void as I believe it did have a time limit. If not I can alternatively give no details of what my interview involved.

Ethically, I'm helping students who may not have reached their full potential to realise their dreams. I think undergraduate medicine doesn't really showcase many people's potential as many students are still trying to find their feet in the world. If you continually fail to get into a graduate medical course then I would be more inclined to say you are not suited to the profession.

Funny thing about medicine is you are taught how to do well in the interview after you are already in the course.

Last edited:

lawstu

HSC

Well, good enough an answer for me.

Thank you for your answer. Best of luck with the business then.
Funny thing about medicine is you are taught how to do well in the interview after you are already in the course.
Indeed.

Interestingly, recent studies published by researchers from the Universities of Melbourne and Sydney have investigated and reported on the admissions process, and it has been suggested that this interview, specifically MMI, is in fact a poor determinant of any sense of success. One research group even suggests, quite cynically, that it is or can be a means by which to discriminate (generally, against minorities).

I suppose that is entirely possible and that the researchers, many of whom are in fact affiliated with the Sydney Medical School, are being thorough in their studies and publishing and, at the heart of it all, are trying to simply improve the admissions process.

It is, however, noted in these studies that the interview does select [in], as opposed to screen out, those that have demonstrable skills to talk (or talk through one's hat), have good self-esteem and some sort of balance, and ooze confidence and smoothness from their pores.

Perhaps, I thus suggest, the medical course builds upon the requisite ability or abilities assessed during these interviews.

Medman

HSC
Well, good enough an answer for me.

Thank you for your answer. Best of luck with the business then.
Indeed.
Thanks Lawstu. I am just hoping to impart some of my experience knowledge over the years to students without a ridiculous pricetag as what other prep courses provide. Students in other workshops have told me what a rip off they were for the services they provide so hoping to offer an alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)