Interview offers.. (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm bah im goin to rant..
u get ure interview
u get a spot

then one yr on u realise that u are spending a whole weekend wasted on the the mode of action of heparin and appropriate treatment of DKA and other medical conditions..

do u realli want tat?

I certainly do, mate. I can't think of any better way to spend my time and I would NEVER consider it a waste.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha sadistic.. i like..

actualli honestly i was doing it anyways.. but exams are soon..
lolz.. ure goin to be an interestin fresher :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its tough to constantly be keen so ull be interesting if u stay keen for that long :D
.. cos they examine u on 3 things..

1) important things core med sci concepts
2) things u learn by rote lik where all the bits are
3) stupidly obscure medical stuff that no one will ever use..

Mr x is a 22-year-old labourer who reports that he injured his back at work on a construction site . After a full assessment you conclude that he will need at least one week absence from work.
(a) When undertaking an examination of Mr Jones you find tenderness on palpation of a spinous process in the lumbar spine.
Explain how you would identify the level of the spinous process that was tender.

(b) Explain how you assess rotation of the thoraco-lumbar spine and what is the normal range of movement.

(c) What are your responsibilities as a doctor, in terms of his absence from work and his injury?
for a total of 15-20 lines ... in 4 mins... for 3-4 marks.. :S

sounds cool!! I'll be interested to see if I'll remain keen for the entire time too, but at this stage I'm pretty sure I will. I have huge goals - things that I want to do with the degree - which will keep me focused. Plus I'm obsessive about doing well lol so it's all good

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I've got huge goals too. Ever heard of quadruple testamur (all in Latin)?

Don't rely on ambition to keep you motivated. Sometimes even the most fundamental elements of a person's drive can be eliminated by common tertiary student apathy.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Mr x is a 22-year-old labourer who reports that he injured his back at work on a construction site . After a full assessment you conclude that he will need at least one week absence from work.
(a) When undertaking an examination of Mr Jones you find tenderness on palpation of a spinous process in the lumbar spine.
Explain how you would identify the level of the spinous process that was tender.

(b) Explain how you assess rotation of the thoraco-lumbar spine and what is the normal range of movement.

(c) What are your responsibilities as a doctor, in terms of his absence from work and his injury?
(a) the lumbar spine has 5 vertebrae...palpate the anterior superior iliac spine and trace posteromedially to the lumbar region. This should lie superficial to the L4-5 intervetebral disc. This is an important landmark because it is a site for lumbar puncture and extraction of cerebrospinal fluid in the subarachnoid space. It allows us to palpate for the spinous processes of the L4/5 verterbrae immedately superiorly and inferiorly (respectively) and from there it is a simple matter of extrapolating from mr.x which spious process exactly was tender.

(b) rotation isn't assessed as it is in fact a combination of flexion, extension and lateral bending. for these we have separate tests:
flexion- patient stands vertically and bends over to touch his toes;
extension- it is importat to stabilise the hip since extension of the femoral head in the acetabulum might confound results. request patient to bend backwards and look at the roof.
lateral bending- run the right hand down the lateral aspect of the right leg. repeat for the other side (cbb remembering the ROMs)

(c)write out medical certificate. engage patient in a collaborative treatment plan such as physio, chiro, aqua therapy in order to help him get better asap. find out if there are available services to help mr.x during his recovery- e.g. meals on wheels, home nursing, shuttle bus for groceries, home help etc etc.

lol there ya go alvin...stop showing off man! when u do....i'll stop my random crap as well :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hmmm....BSc(Nano)BA(IntStuds)MBBCh

what i want- LLBMBBSOAMQBEFRANZCOBDivFACEM :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
does MBBS count as 1 or 2? cos im on the track to do 2 or 3.. depending.. hehe

@ wilson: thnks! i actualli didnt want to look that up.. but u did most of it :D .. err r u sure about b) bout the rotation thing? and ure c) is missing the workcover thingy: "work with employees and employers and claims agent to determine suitable duties so worker can start again"

other wise good answer.. :)
hmm i will post more questions for u to show off ure 1337ness.. and save me 30mins looking for answers :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
MBBS is one, and if you go to UNCLE you only get BMed. :(

Fellowships and professional associations don't count as testamurs, only universty qualifications. Also, being elevated to a certain status (eg OBE) doesn't count either, nor does serving a function of court (eg JP).

Oh, don't forget that you need to put spaces between your letters, and you need to put them in the correct order to prevent looking like a n00b. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wilson, the four I had in mind were MBChB LLB BS BA, or Medicinæ Baccalaureus Chirugiæ Baccalaureus, Legum Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Scientia, Baccalaureus Ars.

Can you believe that US Lawyers don't get LLB (bachelor of laws) but JD Juris Doctor? Sif doctor, when all they do is a graduate law degree - half their lawyers don't even know the meaning of research!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dammit.. well im aiming for 2.. MBBS/BMedSci(Hons.) mabbe if i get a lil bored and get a PhD or MSc lolz

*thinks* then i can spell sumfing kewl ^^

does Dr Karl from USYD hav a fellows? or just a medicine, engineering and physics degree
things to consider during ure interview since ure never goin to leave uni once in med

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Dr Karl Kruzelnicki is the University of Sydney's Julius Sumner Miller Fellow. I'm not sure what that actually means.

Isn't he a doctor of Science, rather than Medicine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)