Internships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: internships 07

this wait sucks so much :( i could potentially get notification wed-friday this week. im becoming positive again. this is bad. my heart rate has been so high all day. pooey.

beverly

HSC
N/A

stazi said:
not necessarily though. a lot of people have lots of valuable non-work related experience
Oh for sure, but really, for this recruitment drive marketing related work experience trumps..particularly when you only have a few spots available and these candidates show involvement in both work and non related things
I have pages and pages of stuff im involved with, experience with all kinds of things in many positions and roles as well as lots of work experience , but I wouldn't have stood a chance.......it would've counted for nothing

stazi

Nightman
HSC

yeah, that's true. P&G have a set process though, and they don't like bending it (although, granted, they did change it for me slightly). Why would it have counted for nothing? Especially if you have pages and pages of stuff? You sound like a very strong candidate.

Would I be able to have a look at your CV, out of interest? I can show you mine too, if you want.

beverly

HSC
N/A

I probably am taking it from an ends point of view, and it's not that I don't see the value in P&G giving more than the necessary number an opportunity to go through the recruitment process whether it be for the experience of sitting the PST, completing the data sheet or even going for an interview. It's just easy to view it from the other end too.

For myself specifically, I have zero marketing experience (actual work related marketing experience anyway). Even with the extra stuff I do, I think their final process is really looking out for strong a background in both areas, and for that reason I dont think my own experience would've counted for anything

Don't get me wrong though, P&G have been quite good in recruitment in the grand scheme of things (I've experienced much worse!), I just like to question the way things are done and like to see the possibility for change if there is no valid reason to keep the existing format (in its entirety as it stands).

I guess ultimately, I'm very interested to find out the outcome (fingers crossed you'll get one of the spots, if not the only one!) I'd really love to hear about the final competition and how everyone compared (even if only from what you find out as a candidate yourself!). If only I couldve gone to my interview myself it would've been quite insightful.

For sure, wouldn't mind swapping CV's. I dont actually have mine on this computer atm

PS for the person asking for the P&G website. If you do end up applying next year, keep an eye out on it even after the deadline. This year they extended the deadline as they didnt have much response. Which I suspect is why stazi got shuffled around a bit with the time delay in responses etc. I'm guessing you applied on time :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I applied very early: on the first day it opened. As you can tell I really want the job :p

I agree that their process needs refining. However, they keep it consistent worldwide, and because of this, I doubt they would modify it at all. Even secretaries and temp contract staff have to sit this through this arduous process. I've noticed that P&G have a very strong "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. They like sticking to a set process, both in their marketing, and their recruitment.

I guess the positive element of it is that if you don't have much experience, sit the PST, and then don't get an offer for an interview, you could call up and find out what else you need to do to be accepted into the grad interviews. Cutting out a large number of applicants instantly would expel that opportunity.

My email is s.madorski [ a t ] gmail com (of course without the spaces and stuff, i just want to confuse bots that collect emails for spam related purposes. What's your email - i'll send through the CV and SDS (although i failed on the SDS stage, as you may remember; had to beg my way in).

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh and im very surprised that P&G stress the importance of teamwork, and generally working with people, as well as leadership. It's bizarre that they have no group-based activities in their recruitment, which would show them whether you actually practice what you preach during interviews

edit: haha i love how i get singapore google ads at the bottom of this thread, considering the number of times i've mentioned the country here

stazi

Nightman
HSC

argh. worst wait ever. i dreamt of finding out about p&g the whole night. then woke up fell asleep, and dreamt about it some more

beverly

HSC
N/A

stazi said:
oh and im very surprised that P&G stress the importance of teamwork, and generally working with people, as well as leadership. It's bizarre that they have no group-based activities in their recruitment, which would show them whether you actually practice what you preach during interviews
I absolutely agree!
Its probably a strength of P&G's that as you mentioned, their recruitment is consistent worldwide, and I quite like that concept (though PS. it means the PST is standardised so it's the same every year... ;) ) but it really struck me by surprise that they didn't include a group work element (adding even one extra step surely isn't that big a deal given the number of steps involved already...)

It's ironic that companies that aren't necessarily heavily teams based all recruit on the basis of groupwork situations (as is the trend in recruitment processes in general..) but P&G doesnt. I guess that's what they use the SDS for kind of? But as you say..actually practicing that is another thing. And I know it can be damn frustrating to be working with obnoxious overbearing people particularly in marketing.....

ETA: pm'ing you now :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I'm an obnoxious overbearing marketing person :wave:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

dyun said:
I am pretty lucky because my father has a friend who has a friend in Goldman Sachs in Beijing. Has anyone here interned there or in other IBanks before? What sort of environment and work can I expect? (i.e. would I get yelled at by people to fetch MacDonalds for them? lol)
Congrats man, lucky since iirc there are only around 3 o/s banks in china. Dont mess up, and you should have a pretty strong chance at a grad job!

Let us know how it goes.

is a roflcopter
HSC

lol its such a contrast
you got stas who is going nuts and working so hard for p&g
and then dyun the first year anu getting gs because he knows someone

thats life

stazi

Nightman
HSC

haha but dyun got it in China, where personal relations dominate over skills and effort. Although in our culture, nepotism is frowned upon, there are still advantages in hiring family friends, as they are least likely to let you down, or jump ship to another company.

s.m.i.t.h

HSC

why did u have to beg to get through the SDS phase?
and what happened with commbank?

how many are they sending to singapore?

s.m.i.t.h

HSC

why did u have to beg to get through the SDS stage?
what happened with commbank?

and how many are they sending to singapore?

sorry double post

stazi

Nightman
HSC

s.m.i.t.h said:
why did u have to beg to get through the SDS phase?
and what happened with commbank?

how many are they sending to singapore?
I got rejected for marketing, but accepted for everything else at the SDS phase. Well, it wasn't so much begging, but me calling up and asking to speak to the main recruitment lady, and talking about my qualifications. They decided to put me through to the first interview round based on that conversation as " demonstrated leadership by calling up"

I've still got the offer with CommBank, although I haven't mailed in the contract yet. I'll do so tomorrow if I don't get P&G.

They're only sending two people to Singapore out of the 1,800; which is why I'm so nervous :p

I called up HR today and the woman said that Marketing should be calling today and tomorrow with offers. I hope that they didn't start calling today, as I assume they'd contact those who received the offers first.

havy

HSC

wow u still havn't decided on the cba offer?
I thought its deadline was ages ago.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

well they never sent me a concrete deadline

havy

HSC

stazi said:
well they never sent me a concrete deadline
really? does that mean u can basically notify them like 5 days before work starts?

havy

HSC

usually most the accounting firms have a strict deadline date..but thats due to the ICAA requirements.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

havy said:
really? does that mean u can basically notify them like 5 days before work starts?
I doubt that :p They just haven't started chasing it up with me, so I assume it's OK that I haven't sent it in. I emailed my contact on Monday asking if it's OK to send it in late this week after I hear back from P&G, but I haven't heard back from her yet. I assume that she's away for the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)