Internships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Re: internships 07

stazi said:
I'm not sure. With marketing there aren't many offers though, and they are very specific, i.e. Marketing Communications at Colonial NEED an intern. For other positions, that may not be the case
I guess if the division only needs one intern then it'll definitely plan about backups, but with larger divisions they may just stick to watever number of ppl accepting their offers.
ps. they only offered one position and you got it.....you must be really really good.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh there was more than one position, it's just that in marketing, the positions are highly-specific, i.e. there's a marketing communications one for Colonial, a marketing research one for some other specific division in combank. Accounting positions, I would guess, would be more general. They said there were 5 positions in marketing, from memory, in total.

havy

HSC

yay, finally I got an offer, I hav not spent all these efforts in vain:)

good luck to your P&G result staz.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh, well done. who was the offer with?

and thanks. still waiting

havy

HSC

stazi said:
oh, well done. who was the offer with?

and thanks. still waiting
audit @ kpmg - I applied for its cadetship 3 yrs ago but didnt get in, so this internship offer definitely proves my improvement.:rofl:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

they called me yesterday. i got excited but it turns out they made a mistake and accepted me for the HR interviews (which i didnt apply for). so, im still waiting on an outcome about the marketing internship SDS. a mate of mine who got into the final round last year is also waiting, so I'm guessing they haven't rejected me. The chick there said that she'll call me today/tomorrow if accepted.

apparently they were a lot more efficient last year.

genril

Banned
HSC

stas what degree are you actually doing? B commerce with a major in marketing?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

com (liberal studies)
majors: mktg, ibus

pete_mate

HSC

stazi said:
com (liberal studies)
majors: mktg, ibus
what's getting an internship/grad offer in marketing like, is it much harder than getting a big 4 accounting internship?

i heard marketing is hard to get into, tho probably not as hard as investment banks

stazi

Nightman
HSC

pete_mate said:
what's getting an internship/grad offer in marketing like, is it much harder than getting a big 4 accounting internship?

i heard marketing is hard to get into, tho probably not as hard as investment banks
yes, it's much harder. think about it, big 4 accounting firms will hire dozens of accountants each year. however, most companies have a very small number of marketers.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

haven't heard back yet, stas?

on a different note, i was wondering if it's possible to get a grad position at a firm when you have previously rejected a vac job from them?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

yes, of course its possible to get a grad positon.

p&g is being confusing:

I got an offer for an HR interview even though my responses were all marketing based
I got an offer for a customer business development interview, even though, again, my responses on that 'written interview' weren't sales-oriented.

Yet I got rejected for marketing, even though i'm the top marketing student at my uni, have three pages of work experience in marketing, and am one of the strongest leaders that people who work with me, have ever met. Yet, apparently my 'written interview sheet' didn't suggest this.

Anyway, I spoke to the head recruitment manager chick and she said she's going to meet with the marketing department and review my case on Monday; all is not lost yet, but I'm not optimistic, for once.

It's so annoying, as I know that I can easily get into the final round if they have an interview with me. I mean, I've literally gotten every job I have applied for (apart from one which i couldnt go for as I was only in first year, and you needed to be in your penultimate year).

I'm also waiting on the customer market knowledge team to decide on whether or not to give me an interview.

Oh well, Colonial wouldn't be that bad. The pay is fantastic for a marketing internship. I'll get about $10,000 gross whilst working for them for 10 weeks (their salary + centrelink benefits).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

stazi said:
yes, of course its possible to get a grad positon.
Really? That's surprising. I was expecting to be blacklisted cos I didn't accept their offers...

That sucks about P&G but like you said, Colonial sounds good too. Let us know how the P&G review process goes.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A

Not accepting an offer is different from reneging an offer.

havy

HSC

stazi said:
yes, it's much harder. think about it, big 4 accounting firms will hire dozens of accountants each year.
actually i think the big 4 auditing firms would hire at least 400 interns in sydney each yr. getting jobs in marketing sure seems difficult...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

holy crap :s that's massive! i wonder how many grads they would take in.

havy

HSC

stazi said:
The pay is fantastic for a marketing internship. I'll get about $10,000 gross whilst working for them for 10 weeks (their salary + centrelink benefits).
how can centrelink benefits be taken into consideration? or you are just saying that u'll get some extra government allowances while you working? but i thought that if you report your income to centrelink as you should do, then they'll stop paying benefits as soon as your weekly income exceed a certain limit.

havy

HSC

stazi said:
holy crap :s that's massive! i wonder how many grads they would take in.
grad is about the same, or maybe a bit more...i would assume 300-500.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

haha yes, im getting government allowances atm. and centrelink payments reduce by 50c for each dollar you go over the limit (something like $250/fortnight). However, this accumulates if you're not working up to a max of $6,000. I'm at that max of $6,000 right now, so will be able to offset that against the income from the internship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)