Internet usage (1 Viewer)

Winn

HSC
I got an email from the IT service named "Internet Usage Report", and noticed that there is something called "Total session quota", which happened to be 515 MB for me.
Just wondering if this 515MB is the limit for each session (log on)? But I heard we get unlimited downloads at unsw...

henry08

HSC
N/A
I got the same thing yesterday. Then I realized it was from the CSE department. I think it is just the usage limit associated with our seperate CSE account maybe?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeh they update it randomly, its pretty hard to get past it using ur cse login

Winn

HSC
Hm, does this mean we have unlimited internet access using our normal account?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
'unlimited' in the sense that if you go completely overboard (ie. 20gb) then they'll contact you asking you why

Winn

HSC
'unlimited' in the sense that if you go completely overboard (ie. 20gb) then they'll contact you asking you why
Oh ok, lol, I am not a torrent user or anything.
That's pretty sweet though, thanks tommykins!

LordPc

HSC
total session quota is how much internet you are allowed to use while on a lab machine, like if you are in spoons or moog or pipe or harp. if you go over you will be reduced to dial up speed.

dont worry about it using it all though, after the 31st of march (which im pretty sure is a census date for something) you get a lot more to use up. your print quota will also increase

if you want to see what your internet quota is now, type pp and then your login, eg

Code:
 pp jsmi423
and it will show you your current internet usage (as well as some other stuff)

Jack Holt

HSC
does this mean I can download Ubuntu using Uniwide? :O yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

appletoa

HSC
does this mean I can download Ubuntu using Uniwide? :O yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm pretty sure that you can download ubuntu (and other distros as well) from the cse mirror without it being counted as cse quota. Might be the same for uniwide too, as it's still internal uni traffic. Don't quote me on that though, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

lizzzy

HSC
i got an email the other day warning me about illegal torrent downloads so there are definitely people monitoring usage on uniwide all the time. but i don't even find the connection that fast, and they supposedly upgraded it..?

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would anyone try and torrent from uni, isn't it pretty obvious that you'd get caught rather easily?

HSC
Uni Grad
But as soon as you log in, you are identified and everything you do on there is logged.
At least that how it is at school and I have no reason to doubt uni would be any different.

EDIT: However the epic speeds would be simply orgasmic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)