International Students targetted for robberies (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
abc.net.au said:
Foreign students targeted in newcastle attacks

International students at the university of newcastle say they are living in fear because of a recent spate of attacks.

There have been dozens of assaults targeting young foreign students on and around the campus.

There are now calls for the police and university to do more before the situation threatens australia's international education industry.

The buildings at the university of newcastle are surrounded by bushland. More than two million trees on campus give the area a sense of natural serenity.

But it seems in the darkness of the evenings, the shadows provide cover for more sinister activity.

Late last week, one vietnamese student was set upon by a gang as he left the university's library.

"four or five young kids tried to attack me with [a] knife and then they tried to steal my money and they tried to steal my stuff," he said.

"so i was really surprised when i saw knives."

It is one of a string of recent assaults on or near the campus. Eleven have been reported to police and about 20 to the student association.

Both believe there are many more which have not been reported.

One international student from the philippines has been assaulted three times. "Recently i haven't been going out of my house, especially at night," he said. "if i do go out at night ... I go out with a taxi ... I don't walk, if it's [a] five or 10 minute distance."

It is believed most of the perpetrators are local teenagers, some as young as 12.

In one case, a group of 20 people ambushed some international students at a shopping centre.

Raising awareness

Although the majority of assaults have been off-campus, veronica meneses says the university has a duty of care to international students.

"certainly the universities do have a duty of care with the international students," she said.

"when you invite someone to do and to pursue studies over here and invest your money in this country, you have a duty of care.

"you have to offer a certain level of safety to those who come in."

Acting vice-chancellor sue gould believes there is no evidence that the attacks are racially-motivated, but she says the university is working with the students to help protect them.

"i think it's all about us making sure that our students understand how to have their own awareness raised," she said.

"we do a lot of things to try and help our international students in that area, to make sure that they can operate safely in what is a quite strange country for them."

'Soft Targets'

Newcastle police have arrested six juveniles since the attacks started and are trying to identify more.

Superintendent max mitchell says most of those cases relate to robbery, not assaults.

"persons who are involved in these robberies are targeting the international students because i think in general they would be considered a soft target," he said.

"what i mean by a soft target is we haven't had any incidents, and thankfully we haven't, where the students have actually challenged those responsible for these robberies.

"so they're carrying cash; they're carrying other equipment such as ipods, mobile phones, etc that are easily taken by those who are responsible."

There has apparently been concern expressed by diplomats from the countries of some of the international students involved.
This seems to be getting quite a bit of media coverage. I had heard about a few cases where International Students were targeted near the AIC after dark in recent weeks, which is pretty concerning as I walk through Architecture on my way home.

Some interesting comments following the article though. The media tend to not report on locals being robbed/attacked, but when International Students do get attacked, they play the 'racism' card?

I don't really know what else the University can do though? They can only patrol so much at a time, as the university is a large campus. So increasing patrols of the area isn't really going to help?

Also, with the external spaces within the university being a public place, it's not as if they can restrict people from entering. Also, it's not as if they can carve through all the bushland scrub and lay lawns and native plants throughout. It's a pretty massive campus.

A shuttle bus for students to certain areas within close proximity of the university campus would be a good idea. For example, have a shuttle running from the AIC at 8pm, 10pm and possibly 12am to the colleges, sunset boulevard area, and maybe Jesmond area?

What do you guys think?

Sauce: Foreign students targeted in Newcastle attacks - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Wtf is with the lack of capitalisation in your post? Until I clicked the link I thought ABC's standards had plummeted!

Also, there already is a security bus service and no one uses it because it seems weird. And imo it is advertised about enough now, but yeh, no one wants to use it. And then students are all "Waa waa, we need a shuttle or something" etc.

*Runs away*

blue_chameleon

HSC
Wtf is with the lack of capitalisation in your post? Until I clicked the link I thought ABC's standards had plummeted!

Also, there already is a security bus service and no one uses it because it seems weird. And imo it is advertised about enough now, but yeh, no one wants to use it. And then students are all "Waa waa, we need a shuttle or something" etc.

*Runs away*
Nah love, the shuttle bus consists of 2 trips around the university (within the university grounds) at 4pm and 6pm. They finish at 6pm.

Er, the formatting had a bug in it. Something something. :uhoh:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
have allocated night routes that have better lighting.

and later shuttle buses.

T

Troy2287

Or maybe the skinny kids getting mugged can bulk up and fend for themselves..

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
The only way I knew about the shuttle was the OLD 'save our shuttle' thread
But I've never seen/heard about it at uni.
Maybe they should advertise routes that WILL be patrolled and encourage everyone to use them. I agree that there are logistical difficulties involved with protecting an entire campus the size of a suburb so it makes sense to try and consolidate the area of high security.
People who choose to use unprotected/less protected areas do so at their own risk.
The road past engineering could act as the main axis running from the auchmuty courtyard to the hunter building/both and the colleges.
Then, lighting from CT/maths/GP past SR building to the shortland union building should be upgraded. Because it's already pretty reasonable so would be fairly costeffective to perfect.

That'd be a good start.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
jesmond area is a few shades darker than the rest of newcastle

only real solution would be to lock non student residents of jesmond into a room and burn it to the ground

would help the world a whole lot imo

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
Why do I get the feeling i've just walked in on a joke I don't understand.

Fucking Sydney Water was pretty fun, hey. Even if it is in Parramatta. *shudders*

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
some dope posted some racist spam today apparently.

well, apparent for me :eek:

In other news, at dusk tonight i was walking to the train station and this kid about 13 asked if he could borrow my mobile phone. i was all like "umm no, sorry, i've got a train to catch" i also suggested he use the payphone in the hunter building and told him to keep following the road to get there.

and then this other guy a little bit further up asked this asian girl in front of me something. and i was like omg they're scoping for targets.
then he just asked me where the bus stop was. so i told him to keep following the road and to ask somebody else once he saw buildings.

i dont think they were connected. and being 5pm there was people everywhere on the way to the station.

blue_chameleon

HSC
some dope posted some racist spam today apparently.

well, apparent for me :eek:

In other news, at dusk tonight i was walking to the train station and this kid about 13 asked if he could borrow my mobile phone. i was all like "umm no, sorry, i've got a train to catch" i also suggested he use the payphone in the hunter building and told him to keep following the road to get there.

and then this other guy a little bit further up asked this asian girl in front of me something. and i was like omg they're scoping for targets.
then he just asked me where the bus stop was. so i told him to keep following the road and to ask somebody else once he saw buildings.

i dont think they were connected. and being 5pm there was people everywhere on the way to the station.
Should've bashed him bro.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
what does a jesmond bogan kid get for christmas?
an ipod full of chinese music

why did the international student go to cash converters?
to get his laptop back

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Ah Dean, you don't often grace us with your presence but when you do it is pure genius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)