International Business? (1 Viewer)

juzmister

HSC
Hey,
I'm doing finance, but was wondering if International Business is interesting (co-major)?

Loz_metalhead

HSC
My friend is also doing finance and international business. I will tell her about this thread.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
juzmister said:
Anyone care to help???
Check the UNSW site for the course structure and see if it interest you. Also read the course description and the career options. I think its intended for doing business overseas.

moco

HSC
juzmister said:
Hey,
I'm doing finance, but was wondering if International Business is interesting (co-major)?
Same here.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I did a few International Business subjects in my commerce degree and they were among my favourite subjects cause what you learn is actually interesting (as opposed to the I guess dryness of accounting or finance). As a major...it's probably not as practical.

juzmister

HSC
Not too worried about it being practical...have done alot of work experience and plan to do alot more, so I just want something interesting to do! Thanks for the help, will be doing it as my co-major.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'm majoring in IB, but have only taken MGMT1001 and MGMT2102 so far. To be honest both were pretty dry subjects, although the tutorial component was pretty interesting for 2102. Overall those courses were pretty easy, simple to understand/study for.

I found legt1711 and econ2112 super interesting though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Jago said:
I'm majoring in IB, but have only taken MGMT1001 and MGMT2102 so far. To be honest both were pretty dry subjects, although the tutorial component was pretty interesting for 2102. Overall those courses were pretty easy, simple to understand/study for.

I found legt1711 and econ2112 super interesting though.
Hmm have they changed much? I did those subjects when IBUS was a seperate school (so I did I think IBUS1101, 1102 and 2101...dunno what the equivalents are now)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I wouldn't know, I have nothing to compare them to

borie2008

HSC
juzmister said:
Hey,
Hey, there are some suggestions from a BCom (acct+fins) + MCom (Fins) grad + some 3 years working experience + .... 2 courses of IB.

Well, nothing is crap must say but note 1 thing that IB wont help you much in first 2-3 years of career (don't know if it helps in the future).

Let's go thru the core courses of IB:

1001 and 1101 basically teach you all kind of crap that you can learn from google search in a week like wat management is all about, wat are the things to consider while going global... Basically, nothing technical and specific. It is suitable for years before 90s when there is no internet connection and people are bloody writting to each other using Morse code.

2101, 2102 actually the same shit as 1xxx courses. Teaching you all kind of crap about wat are the entry modes to go global of some MNE's in a very general manner. You will learn nothing coz in today's globalised world, whenever you go, there are glocal consulting firms (lobby pipelines) to help you to put your ass right on the place. Regarding 2102, all you need to know that whenever you go, you should follow a civilised formal business conduct. So rather than sitting 14 weeks, just remember not to discuss politics, religion, culture, habits during negotiations and corporate environment.

3101 is the same shit as 1001-2102 talking crap about some strategies you never use.

Conclusion1: If you want to go to the industry and to be specific in some area, Acct+Fins is a good choice. Though Acct in year3 is crap too.

Conclusion2: IB is fun when it comes to talking crap but it wont be able to help you to do anything specific like evaluating a company's financials or crafting a business strategy for success.

Good luck huh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)