Interesting Science Subject In Semester 2 (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Still though, it seems easy, but Professor Winder marks hard-as.

You might find the thought of a take-away exam to be easy, but you work heaps hard just to get a credit. Stephenchow, what's your major...have you completed all the Pre-Req courses for your 1st year?

stephenchow

HSC
For Finance, Im still completing my core subjects so I can just focus on finance subjects next year.

As for Psychology, I only have to do Psyc1B then I can get into research methods, etc.

emma_f

or M
HSC
if no other science subs interest you [scom2014 looks like a bludgy sub to me; appears quite popular too, unless the website they devoted and ad they made for the course was because they lacked people's interest], do a gen ed subject. im bumping forward gen ed, much to the lady at science student centre's disgust. forget that - its all online and only goes for 7 weeks. im stoked. also doing other maths stats sub, and similarly psych 1b.

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol I was invited to do SCOM when it started in my first year, but the thought of trying to find "work placement" where you do anything from being a weather broadcaster to some guy who picks up the animals droppings....just kind of put me off.

I honestly can't see how I need more science communication when practically every 2nd year science course requires team work and good communication at all times.

Though I'd recommend MATH1041, even though I didn't particularly excel in maths in HSC, it was deadset easy. They even give u the formulas in the exam.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hm has anyone tried out Pharmacology yet? Wondering if I should do it as an elective.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I heard Pharmacology subjects are pretty bludgey. One of my friends did it and half of the lab times are free-times (catch-up times and self-pace exercises). Anyway, but I've never did any myself.

wind

HSC
I don't know about bludgey. 7 contact hours a week (lab was 4 hours but most of the time only went for 2.5-3 hours and usually involved you taking drugs lol).

There's a lot of content to remember, especially regarding the drug names and their effects. Second year PHPH2011 was mediocre at best as it seemed really unstructured...to me at least.

But third year Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology was a LOT better. Better lectures, better content and material...overall just better organisation :)

Rekkusu

HSC
Cheers Wind and Survivor! Wow, 7 contact hours!! Blimey that's alot! Man this year's BIOC2201 was a killer, the exam popped up questions which required educated guesses and....other uneducated guessing, real bad structure as well. We got our Mid-session marks back like 4-5 weeks after it taking place!

Yeah because in my coming semester 2, I've got 6 UOC leftover to use, and I'm not sure what to do as a course elective :confused: I could try out BIOS2051 or Intro Anatomy... (ruling out Pharmacology possibly)

Its annoying how the Immuno/Micro majors cramp all the courses into 3rd year XD

wind

HSC
Looks like they changed the room to PHPH2011...last year it was at CLB1 or something - tiny room with no recordings for the lectures.

As bad as it was, I still enjoyed it. So you shouldn't rule it out completely. The labs weren't that long so in total contact hours should only be 5-6 hours like any other science course.

The labs were mostly good though...hands on stuff so it's not boring and time passes pretty quickly. Some practicals involved taking drugs such as aspirin and measuring your urine (excretion prac) or taking eye drops and watching their effects on your vision lol.

It's something different and pretty practical outside academic life (especially the alternatives medicines and toxicology lectures) :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Man this year's BIOC2201 was a killer, the exam popped up questions which required educated guesses and....other uneducated guessing, real bad structure as well. We got our Mid-session marks back like 4-5 weeks after it taking place!
Isn't it BIOC2101? I thought 2201 is the molecular biology version in second sem?? Anyway, second year biochem is crap. I never liked it. Don't worry, Molecular biology gets much better. You actually learn usueful stuff, unlike memorising metabolic pathways. Apparently third year biochem subjects are much easier.

Last edited:

wind

HSC
Yeah I'd say 3rd year was easier (Molecular Biology of Proteins - BIOC3111)...there seemed to be less rush and less material for some reason, but not as "exciting" as second year biochem.

Labs were a complete bitch though.

Hopefully the finals will be ok lol.

drmix

HSC
N/A
listen up ppls doin COM/SCI majoring in PSYC

the requirements require u to do 4 first year science subjects

two of them are PSYC (1a and1b)

so u have to chose two more random 1ST year subjects

most of the ppls like me...just pick up the MATH1031 and MATH1041

thats it =)

n.b. u dont need to do MATH1131 coz its not a preq...but if u like maths then by all means do it, or if MATH1031 is too easy for u or wateva

Rekkusu

HSC
Ha :) Good labs are fun! Hm remembering long drug names are no fun XD Though sounds like a good course to take, thanks wind for the extra advice.

Oh that's right ;), thanks for the correction si ming. It is Biochemistry. Lol there are over 50 replies on Webct to how bad the theory exam was, what a nightmare it was. I hope the practical test won't conjure any more tricks. Yeah all there was to Biochemistry was boring labs with student pipetting labor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)