Interesting Punk (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'd firstly like to start by stating that I have never really gotten into Punk as a musical genre. To me, as a generealisation, I get bored with the simple chord structure that seems to be the foundation of every song. What I'm asking of BOSers is for a list a punk bands that are 'musically interesting'. Also, if you'd like, what you like about them.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
would Blink182 be considered punk?

They're pretty good, i dunno why tho, they just are =]

edit: but i get what you're saying about song structure..

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
get some Fugazi into you. incredibly innovative and experimental music with punk roots.

also Minutemen

also try some late 70's/early 80's British punk like The Slits, Siouxsie and the Banshees, X Ray-Spex.

listen to The Libertines and Patti Smith.

and I think you would probably like post-punk music such as Gang Of Four, Public Image Ltd, Bauhaus, Joy Division.

Scruffy101

HSC
Yeah, I was about to say Dead Kennedys as well. The singer dude, Jello Biafra, always has something to complain about, it seems, and he does it quite well. But apart from that i just like how their riffs sound i guess.

Also, im not sure if youd call it punk, but Nick Caves old stuff is pretty cool. Like say his stuff with The Birthday Party in the early 80's. I spose theyre quite musically interesting, really removed from the 4/4 sometimes.. its like their more intent on creating strange moods than providing an actual chord progression.

but yeah check em out, you cant go wrong with song titles like "Nick the stripper" lol.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
get some Fugazi into you. incredibly innovative and experimental music with punk roots.
Yeah, I know Fugazi. There stuff's really original. As for post-punk, I'm not a real fan of the recent scene (as in 2000's), but I'll definitely take a look at the older stuff.

Dead Kennedys, Hot Cross
Kennedys I know, so I'll check out Hot Cross.

Hornby

Banned
HSC
Here's a mix of some good Punk and Ska

Black Flag
Bad Religion
The Adolescents
The Germs
Gallows - Nice Variety of songs
Anti Nowhere League - Very much like Sex pistols
Undertones - Part of the evolution of Punk
The Specials - Late 70's early 80's, a nice mix of punk and ska
Bad Manners - Probably my favourite Ska band
Madness - House of Fun

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
i don't really know what punk is, i wouldn't have considered fugazi punk

but if that's what yer going with check out any albini stuff, like shellac, big black

the black lips are pretty sweet, and also backing zoe's reccommendation re: gang of four & minutemen

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
fugazi are most definitely punk. they are the total embodiment of the punk ethos, of everything punk is about.

punk is all about the mindset and purpose. yeah.

Last edited:

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah see i have no idea when it comes to genres, just prefacing my reccommendations etc

JustSam

HSC
Some more modern ones for you could be Propagandhi, Strung Out, Against Me!, American Steel, Necromantix, Riverboat Gamblers, Sublime, 311.

Those are all pretty darn good. Some of the ones said before are pretty neat too, especially whoever said The Replacements. Just got their Best Of album. It is awesome. Also check out Husker Du.

fliick

HSC
N/A
For punk most of the brilliant ones are the oldies, have been mentioned. But the RAMONES. Sex Pistols. Sid vicious ;)

Some contemporary:
The Distillers - Brodie Dalle is HOT
Mindless Self Indulgence. Really electro-ish punk
And now my list borders on metal/rock. It gets hard to distinguish most of the times.

And DAMMIT Liam Lynch - cos this is my united states of WHATEVUH.

Last edited:

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
the replacements
the fall

yes!

also, The Damned, Buzzcocks, The Stooges, The Stranglers and some early stuff by The Jam.

definitely The Birthday Party, and try some early PJ Harvey (Rid of Me, especially, which Steve Albini produced) - it's quite punk-oriented.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
also, I love The Distillers but they are pretty standard and simple punk...

fliick

HSC
N/A
also, I love The Distillers but they are pretty standard and simple punk...
I thought Coral Fang (Album) was amazing. Then again that was 3 years ago.
Simple yes. Dalle's voice, attitude, anything she does makes it raw and just genuine. And sexy. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)