Interest test (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
How can one be sure they are making the right decision for the uni courses they want? I cettainly can't.
At the moment, my decisions are based on prestige and money and i'm considering the UMAT. I know i won't hate it, medicine will probably be fun. But i certainly don't have a passion for it, or for anything else as far as i know.

One of my older cousins suggested that i find something i'm passionate about by reading certain courses (like commerce which i haven't touched) to see if i like it. He also suggested stuff like online interest tests, though i can't seem to find a free one. He personally regretted the courses he choose, one of them actuarial which he thought would be 'challenging' at first. He intends to finish it, though he doesn't like the stuff he is learning and getting lazy and unmotivated to study it further. He says he'll probably go back to uni and do another course he LIKES. I certainly don't want to be in the same boat as him.

So how do people determine their interest? What could i try to see what i'm passionate about? Anyone know of any online test. Any advice would be helpful.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I once did an aptitude test at pre uni college
it said I'm suitable for commerce but my spelling is too shit for law
:rofl:

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
tony bro... u do look a bit fobby...
but ur usyd law now... so ill shut my mouth... lol

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
fobby???
I've been here since kindergarten!!!

Wohzazz

HSC
The problem with me is INTEREST which i have none except for the prestige and money.
BTW for course info, is there any place where you can find more beside the 2004 UAC guide (new one not released yet)?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
There's a program called career voyage which tries to recommend careers for you based on your likes and dislikes, your school may have it

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
The problem with me is INTEREST which i have none except for the prestige and money.
BTW for course info, is there any place where you can find more beside the 2004 UAC guide (new one not released yet)?
hehe... then go for the course with the prestige and money...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I have no idea...
I mean, spellcheck was designed for a reason :)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
you don't have to, but i think it'd be nice if a law student could spell..
our school never gave us any help like that, they even refused to give us our UAI estimation and took up so much of your time just to tell you what you already found out from the UAC book already.

anyway yeah, i think if you can read through the whole course description and still be interested then that's a start. your best bet is to find out about courses and then see how you go.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
I had B.commerce in mind ever since term 1...though i was unsure...i also thought of becoming a maths or science teacher...but at the end of the HSC i realised, i cannot be a science teacher..b.'cos i am not a science person, i mean...i understand it and everything, but this is not what interests me...so i was left with Maths and Business Studies...as two of my favourite subjects...

At the end i picked up commerce... as it appealed to me more...

I did this program called, "Career Builder" at school...i didn't find it very helpful....

You mite find it helpful...check with your career advisor or someone.

Last edited:

@lbert3269

I'm doing B Commerce @ UNSW because majority of my cousins / friends were doing it and graduated to become really successful. I thought i'd follow their footsteps and get myself a Commerce degree.

Also my brother recommended me to do it.

My brother : Do Commerce Albert.. you can't go wrong there..

I really hope he's rite. I don't want to get committed to a course for 3 years without a slight interest in it. :confused:

David27

There are plenty of personality tests on the net that are free. Just use a search engine and that should give you a choice.
As far as interests- forget what seems like an interesting course and just write down your personal interests in life. What do you spend your time doing? And don't say nothing. In a 24 hour period, day in day out, you do something!That should clue you in to what interests you. Just brainstorm your usual activites-whatever they are- and see if there is some kind of pattern or field of interest.
Simply by analysing what you even tend to watch on TV can clue you into what seems to take your interest. From that you can at least extrapolate what path you may follow.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i never really had many interests, but my mum was onto me to decide what i want to do with my life, so i borrowed a copy of the UAC book (this was waaaay before we got ours) and browsed through it and discovered occupational therapy which id never even considered even though a cousin is one, and something just clicked, that this is what i want to do with my life
since then i have done a bit of work experience and fell in love with the field even more
before this i was like 'oh i want to be such n such' but it was just a passing whim, with this i get a feeling in my gut whenever i think of it, this is what im meant to do with my life
you need to be passionate about whatever you choose
dont worry about money and prestige, it cant buy happiness

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
well ive been playin' with lego since i was 3...

and drawing pictures of stuff since i was 5...

and only playin' "The Sims" to build/design the houses...

natural choice - Architecture :)

Lainee

HSC
We have access to the program 'Career Voyage' too at my school, like someone else said. Honestly, I don't think programs are much help at all. I don't see how they can ask you very specific questions like 'Do you consider yourself a good listener' or something and then spit out a percentage of how compatible you'ld be with a particular job. It's kinda silly when you think about it. :)

But honestly, I don't think many people go into uni knowing exactly where they want to head - some do, but don't listen to them, they'll just make you feel crap. And I figure that alot of ppl try something in their first year and finding they don't like it, switch. How are you suppose to know what something is like before you try it first. And it's just a year, it doesn't really matter in the long run. It probably might feel like a huge waste of time when you're 18 and can't want to start earning to big bucks, but if you're going to be working for most of the rest of your life - one year, two years wasted... isn't much. :) That's what I reckon anyway.

santaslayer

HSC
well nothing really interests u in the way that money and prestige do, than i would suggest u just go for the courses rthat offer money and prestige coz thats what seems to really interest u

nafe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by reynaldo
well ive been playin' with lego since i was 3...

and drawing pictures of stuff since i was 5...

and only playin' "The Sims" to build/design the houses...

natural choice - Architecture :)
lol I'm exactly the same. Ever since I was young, all I've really done is play with lego, make models, draw etc, and now I'm doing a Bachelor of Architecture

suz

HSC
I got enterprising on that test, and being a lawyer was one of the options.....
Comforting since I am doing arts/law lol

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by David27

As far as interests- forget what seems like an interesting course and just write down your personal interests in life. What do you spend your time doing? And don't say nothing. In a 24 hour period, day in day out, you do something!That should clue you in to what interests you. Just brainstorm your usual activites-whatever they are- and see if there is some kind of pattern or field of interest.
Simply by analysing what you even tend to watch on TV can clue you into what seems to take your interest. From that you can at least extrapolate what path you may follow.
sound lie good advice
this is the rundown of what i do and like:
eat (a lot i love eating)
sleep
tv-simpsons, news, comedy(like becker and raymond and others), tennis, ameri idol, law and order, practice, judge judy(in holis)
computer-forums, games (warcraft and others)
movies-mostly medieval stuff, some sci fi , some teen flicks
books- don't read, a bit lazy rather watch tv

about all, what do you think would be a suitable career for me? i seem like a damn lazy person:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)