freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
use the result I{0->a}f(x)dx=I{0->a}f(a-x)dx show that:

I{0->pi/2}cos^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx=

I{0->pi/2}sin^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx

and hence evaluate the given integral.

this question is from arnold/cambridge pg. 173 q.2b

anyway, i have done the first bit, but how do i integrate that integral, let alone evaluate that integral?:(

N

ND

Hint: If I = I{0->pi/2}cos^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx and I also = I{0->pi/2}sin^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx, then 2*I = ?

but how do i integrate that integral, let alone evaluate that integral?
All it's asking you to do is find the integral, that's what evaluate means in this question.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Yep when you have integrals of this form, just find the averages of the two expressions:

In this case find the average of:

I{0->pi/2}cos^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx

and

I{0->pi/2}sin^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx

is

1/2 * {I{0->pi/2}cos^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx + I{0->pi/2}sin^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx}
= 1/2 {I{0->pi/2}cos^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x) + sin^3x/(sin^3x+cos^3x)dx}
= 1/2 {I{0->pi/2} (cos^3x + sin^3x)/(cos^3x + sin^3x) dx
= 1/2 {I{0->pi/2} 1 dx
= pi/4

Because you know that if a=b then the average of a and b (i.e. (a+b)/2) is equal to a and b, for any values of a and b.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
wow, this average stuff is cool, i never thought about manipulating the integrals this way. anyway i wanted to know that if its possible to integrate the functions them selves????:confused:

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Examples like this show that it is possible to work out definite integrals (usually easily), without having to solve the indefinite integral first and then subbing & subtracting the limits. It's probably too hard to solve that integral as it is, you could try substitutions or something like that, but I wouldn't bother (I got Maple, a computer maths program, to solve that integral and I got something horribly complicated back)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Examples like this show that it is possible to work out definite integrals (usually easily), without having to solve the indefinite integral first and then subbing & subtracting the limits
umm.. i know, but its very hard to recognise the fact that you can use the shortcuts in a particular question. :mad:

anyway, where can i get that intergration program?:D

N

ND

In that question, you don't have to recognise it, the question tells you.

You can get maple 7 off kazaa.

edit: in a similar question, if it didn't have the cubes, you could do it using the t formulas, but this method is still much better.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i would really like to see the systematic way the program uses to intergrate functions, coz i always thought that integration was something that you build into yourself as instinctively, if you know what i mean...:)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I cos^3(x)/(sin^3(x) + cos^3(x)) dx

= (1/2)*ln[tan(x/2)^2 + 1] + (1/6)*ln[tan(x/2)^2 - 2tan(x/2) - 1] - (1/3)*ln[tan(x/2)^4 + 2tan(x/2)^3 + 2tan(x/2)^2 - 2tan(x/2) + 1] + x/2 + C

{Note that tan(x/2)^n = tan((x/2)^n), not (tan(x/2))^n }

That's the answer from Maple. The online integrator I showed you above actually does work for that question it's just that your input isn't correct (in fact it gives a better & more simplified answer than Maple). Click the "How to enter your input" button for instructions. Now that you have the answer for:

I cos^3(x)/(sin^3(x) + cos^3(x))

As an exercise, find:

I sin^3(x)/(sin^3(x) + cos^3(x))

:D ;)

Last edited:

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
aww come on it's easy!! :gridnod: :p

Hint: Use a similar technique as solving the definite integral, with the averages/adding stuff.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)