Inspiring Short Stories (1 Viewer)

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
LottoX said:
Sorry for not replying sooner, just didn't see this post.

I kind of cruised along for English the first term, put my head down in Maths, thena fter that, reversed it, and it turned out pretty good. I just kind of snatch knowledge from the smarter people in my school to minimize study =D. I didn't do that badly either, just look in my signature.
hahha yeah sounds like a good plan. im predom doing my 4U eng these holidays, and bits of maht and then ill reverse..
u have ALOT of smart kids in ur school.. NSB.. bah!
'didnt do badly..' EH! you did, VERY WELL..
what's with this world and its modesty... eh.:confused:

with eng and math and jap, isnt that only 3 subjects? i thought u had to do 4?

bashbousha

HSC
haha i was doing 4u math and english and my english teacher pretty much forced me to drop 4math. anyway, dun think i could hav handled them both...

do u know what ur going to write about this yr? ive got a few ideas but theyre all unrelated and i cant decide which to settle on....aaarghh!

nichhhole

HSC
bashbousha said:
haha i was doing 4u math and english and my english teacher pretty much forced me to drop 4math. anyway, dun think i could hav handled them both...

do u know what ur going to write about this yr? ive got a few ideas but theyre all unrelated and i cant decide which to settle on....aaarghh!

i feel so alone. Any other 4eng/4math students out there speak now, or forever hold ur peace...

For 4U im doing a short story in ze metafiction genre.. [cliche yes i know:(!]
but shall turn out well, i am confident..
[u knowhow you have good feelings about things sometimes?]

as opposed to 4math..
hmmm...
i do tutoring with 4u syd boys...
confidence levels...
p
l
u
m
m
e
t.

I just try and convince myself that they're ze creme de la creme...
it doesnt always work, but when it does i feel alot better....
i kinda wish i had another subject that was 'easier'...
the risk with so many extensions is that its harder to get top band.. and if you dont make the average you can crash and burn.
and burn.
and cinder.

dont you?

bashbousha

HSC
nichhhole said:
i feel so alone. Any other 4eng/4math students out there speak now, or forever hold ur peace...

For 4U im doing a short story in ze metafiction genre.. [cliche yes i know:(!]
but shall turn out well, i am confident..
[u knowhow you have good feelings about things sometimes?]

as opposed to 4math..
hmmm...
i do tutoring with 4u syd boys...
confidence levels...
p
l
u
m
m
e
t.

I just try and convince myself that they're ze creme de la creme...
it doesnt always work, but when it does i feel alot better....
i kinda wish i had another subject that was 'easier'...
the risk with so many extensions is that its harder to get top band.. and if you dont make the average you can crash and burn.
and burn.
and cinder.

dont you?
nichhhole, if ur confident u can do both ext2's, then u'll b fine...i just dropped ext2 maths cos i knew that i wouldnt be able to do it after a taste of ext2 english...

b a s h

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Hence my decision to do General Maths. But that course is too damn easy. 100/100 here I come.

ninoshka

HSC
i dont know if any of you have read works from the young writers showcase...but "who will comfort tolly" was one of the best works i've read

HSC
LottoX said:
Thanks for answering my question, SS. =)

Yeah Chemistry was my bludgey subject. For people interested in how badly I went, I got 80.
oh...the failure :mad1:

:p

ChicShit

HSC
ninoshka said:
i dont know if any of you have read works from the young writers showcase...but "who will comfort tolly" was one of the best works i've read
I agree! Very intresting and beautiful to read. I believe it's Toffle, not Tolly :)

nichhhole

HSC
ninoshka said:
hahha yeah i like the writers showcase..
but just beware that you dont get too influenced by what they have done..
experiment with some other more... notable/accomplished authors..[more credibility as a 'technique' haha..]

marthastuart

HSC
Not exactly a short story, but definitely short.. I read it in an hour, "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas." can't remember the author, sorry It's inspirational, but definitely disturbing.

faceface

HSC
borges! borges ANYTHING. try to get a book if you can, its harder to find things on the internet... the really good stuff i mean. its driven me crazy.

margaret atwood - 'the tent' is an awesome collection of thoughts and fictional essays and little stories (don't be put off if you didn't like 'journey to the interior' - i didn't but i LOVE her other writing now)

j.d. salinger i think is good, i knowww its emoish but i think he has some really interesting stuff in there, and its amazing how he makes a story out of not very much at all. 'for esme -with love and squalor' is a great book i reckon, especially bananafish and 'just before the war with the eskimoes'

kurt vonnegut - 'welcome to the monkeyhouse.' what can i say. i love him :)

and thankyou people for posting such awesome stories... i loved that one about the man with the enourmous wings, and h.g. wells, that was wonderful.

bussoti

HSC
marthastuart said:
Not exactly a short story, but definitely short.. I read it in an hour, "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas." can't remember the author, sorry It's inspirational, but definitely disturbing.
You know, they're making a film of that, starring Rupert Friend. He's Keira Knightley's boyfriend and played Mr Wickham in Pride and Prejudice.

jaslene

shine
HSC
N/A
a bit late bt i just read the storyy,, nicee!!

Pyramid

HSC
Lol, I haven't even started any researching / conceptualising / writing.

Could some peeps throw a few more short stories here? Specifically those that helped you out early on in your EX2 course? Preferably 2000-8000 words.

So far I've read, thanks to some suggestions:

The Last Question by Asimov (loved!)
A Perfect Day for Bananafish by Salinger (meh)
...a few more sci-fi ones my teacher gave me

Btw, in bananafish? I didn't quite understand why he *spoiler* did that to himself at the end. *end spoiler*

EDIT: lol, and also ones that you can acquire on the internet!

The Advocater

HSC
The best short narrative probably i have read is "The Landlady:newburn:" by Roald Dahl. The world brilliance is a euphemism of his mastery.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
Muhammad Ali

such_such

HSC
Roald Dahl writes really good stories! I'm reading his anthology of short stories and so far, they're most of them are inspiring :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)