Inspiring Short Stories (1 Viewer)

Skitten

HSC
Hey,

I was thinking about how my teacher feels it is important to read as many other short stories as we can whilst writing our own short story. So i thought that it might be a good idea for people to post and discuss any short stories (the name and author, not the whole story) that they have come accross.

Have fun!!!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Skitten said:
Hey,

I was thinking about how my teacher feels it is important to read as many other short stories as we can whilst writing our own short story. So i thought that it might be a good idea for people to post and discuss any short stories (the name and author, not the whole story) that they have come accross.

Have fun!!!
Sounds like we have the same teacher.
I recommend 'A thousand years of good prayers' by Liyun Li :p Hehehe I love my school, they ordered it in from America for me :eek:

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I really like Isaac Asimov's The Last Question. Very good. And to make it easier for you, here's a link to the full text of the story. Hooray for copyright expiration!

Koume

Rabid fangirl
HSC
I'd suggest "Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemmingway, because well, ~8000 words is way longer than most short stories, and although this one is longer, it's good in the sense it shows you how to continue a story without requiring chapter breaks. It also deals with a lot of description which is good, because heaps of stories I see are really heavy on dialogue but don't describe very much.

renton

HSC
"The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" - Hunter S. Thompson

gonzoooooooooooooo

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
I really enjoyed Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Fall of the House of Usher'. That'd be particularly good if you're doing the CF module of E1, perhaps as a supplementary text.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
If you're going for a horror/thriller sort of piece without wanting to rely on supernatural uh, circumstances, check out anything from Dark Water by Koji Suzuki - it's got about seven different stories in it. Mostly relies on description and the character's personalities to build tension and the like.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
'The Time Machine' by H.G. Wells
'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury
'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry

All awesome books about society.

Trillium

HSC
Green Monkey Dreams- Isobelle Carmody
A collection of some of her short stories, all excellent, as far as im concerned *grins*
Some nice symbolism and good for anyone doing something slightly fnatasy/ philosophical/ odd *grins*

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Oh gosh...
I absolutely loved 'A Perfect Day For Bananafish' by J.D Salinger.

...psssst a good inspirational film is The Chumscrubber. I dont know...it got me passionate, anyways. One of the best movies EVER.

SourPlum

HSC
i think the plot's a bit unclear. basically what happens is. the doll is made in france and gets taken to Austria with a baron's family, then the girl gets screwed up (i got the idea off this flash i once saw) and kills everyone. her brother finds her killing their mother and he's all like "omgzwtf hax" so he kills her and the dolls like. "wtf pwned" and it gets given to the daughter of the family. the daughter kills herself (direct allusion to hamlet) and then the doll's left in the house for like. ages and then it gets found by a frenchman who takes it with him to India and gives it to his wife. She gets butchered. and fed as soup to everyone else. doll is thrown into ocean. Japanese Fisherman finds the doll and gives it to his daughter. she then eventually moves into the big city kyoto and gives it to her granddaughter. The doll is finishing the story when she tells the girl about the firebombing which is about to begin.

jimmayyy

HSC
if you are into writing whacky short stories with a twist, check out "Someone Like You", one of Roald Dahl earlier collections (published in early 50's, I think?) its the one with the "Lamb to the Slaughter" story. Great stuff.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
I love the short story by 1995 SMH Young writer CATHY COOTES.
dont remember the title, but if u google smh young writers ull find it with a compilation of other storys..
nice intertextual references and lots of sexual innuendo.
[so not for the faint hearted:p]
enjoy.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
LottoX,
how did u find doing both 4U subjects..?
im in the same boat..
[4math,4eng, modern, and studiesof reigionI] [just recently dropped art for fear of future slaughter haha..]

HSC
SourPlum said:
i think the plot's a bit unclear. basically what happens is. the doll is made in france and gets taken to Austria with a baron's family, then the girl gets screwed up (i got the idea off this flash i once saw) and kills everyone. her brother finds her killing their mother and he's all like "omgzwtf hax" so he kills her and the dolls like. "wtf pwned" and it gets given to the daughter of the family. the daughter kills herself (direct allusion to hamlet) and then the doll's left in the house for like. ages and then it gets found by a frenchman who takes it with him to India and gives it to his wife. She gets butchered. and fed as soup to everyone else. doll is thrown into ocean. Japanese Fisherman finds the doll and gives it to his daughter. she then eventually moves into the big city kyoto and gives it to her granddaughter. The doll is finishing the story when she tells the girl about the firebombing which is about to begin.
:rofl: you're hilarious!! And i thought no one could entertain me before 12pm...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)