inspirational stories (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
those who have done your hsc already, please give me some real-life stories involving how you stuffed up assessment tasks/trials but still managed to get a very high UAI. please. i am desperate. after stuffing up quite a few assessment tasks i now feel i have no hope in getting even an 80+ UAI, and this is from a (former) high achiever. i need stories to help nurse my poor soul and restore my motivation.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hey i've typed my lil story a few times but here goes...

i was like you, i was a high achiever up until year 12... you know, its harder to keep a constant stream of good marks that year.

i never got over the pass mark in one particular subject... ie 7/15 for english extension 2, ranked poorly and i ended up getting an E4 (a band 6 for extension subjects).... so there's still hope.

i also stressed out a lot because i moved out during year 12, had a bad time with parents, like, they'd say horrible things along the lines of me not amounting to anything etc.... I'm saying that because for anyone who thinks they dont have a good environment to study in general, it can still happen, just work around it... im not saying to move out, im saying you need some time out sometimes....

I did 6 majorworks in total... i ended up doing pretty well.

I got band 5's band 6's and got a uai of 81.35

It's weird cuz I got the same uai as people who got band 4's and 5's in less creative subjects, but what are you going to do. I wasn't too fussed...

so its not flashy, but I was focused on what I wanted to do, which wasn't uai based.... so yeah, currently I have a scholarship with Sydney Uni, Conservatorium of Music campus.... :) You just have to be very focused on what you want to achieve. What are your back up plans? It's not a bad idea to take a year off to figure out what you wanna do. I think it's really wise to.

so yeah, i usually say this story when people post a thread about english extension 2 marks, or thinking they have too many majorworks, or thinking they should dump their boyfriend/girlfriend (i had a boyfriend all through year 12 and i'm still with him)... as well as that generally there can still be hope if your assessment marks dont look as wonderful as they should be....

remember they're 50% of your hsc... you've still got a 50% to prove yourself, :) so good luck!

Last edited:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
was told i would get 70
look at other uni's besides UOW tom
dont even think about law tom
tom doesnt study till a week before the hsc
tom gets 87 uai
tom gets eas points
tom goes to UOW and does law

hooray!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
*hugs ur_inner_child*

ur_inner_child said:
i never got over the pass mark in one particular subject... ie 7/15 for english extension 2, ranked poorly and i ended up getting an E4 (a band 6 for extension subjects).... so there's still hope.
oh my god.
how did you manage that???? :eek:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
*hugs ur_inner_child*

oh my god.
how did you manage that???? :eek:
i don't know. bos says that the class i was in, because most received E4 as well, I was pulled up.

i'd like to think that it was a combination of that, as well as the constant threats to leave the course that my teacher never took seriously, researching more, even though it was late into the year and it was due soon.... and not sleeping until I was happy with what I had

heh. so just keep walking on!

kow_dude

HSC
I did:
standard english.... as you would know, practically no one gets band 6 and 2% gets band 5.
Chemistry: My weakest subject and was getting passes in assessments
Biology: My strongest subject but scaling isnt very good
4u maths: an 'ok' rank and only attempted half of the HSC paper

My school was ranked 143 last year and i ended up UAI = 95.9

My 'smart' friends got higher than they expected, and my 'not so smart' friends got MUCH lower than they expected.

So yea.... there is no point in giving up now. Miracles do happen!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Last year, Mmm_Sofay weighed over 400 kilos but she still managed to scrape in a UAI above 30.

Give it up for fat people.

^___^
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
those who have done your hsc already, please give me some real-life stories involving how you stuffed up assessment tasks/trials but still managed to get a very high UAI. please. i am desperate. after stuffing up quite a few assessment tasks i now feel i have no hope in getting even an 80+ UAI, and this is from a (former) high achiever. i need stories to help nurse my poor soul and restore my motivation.

i defy all odds and got an uai of above 50...

let say my 3u marks were close to 10%
and my physics marks were around 40%

both counted towards the uai count and i got into MQ uni

sly fly

HSC
Well u might get something out of this. All through high school i stuffed around, i was sleeping in class or talking or writing notes to ppl etc.......Last year i was doing really bad in business (and i mean REALLY bad, like 40's) coz i didn't bother trying. This year i tried and im coming first in the year, with marks in the 90's and my school is ranked pretty well too. As for my other subjects iv'e got good ranks too eg: 2nd in PDHPE, 2nd in ancient, 3rd in legal and like 8th or sumthing in english lol. My teacher for each subject predicts i'll get a band 6 in that subject (except for legal which they reckon i'll get a high band 5, but i killed it in the trials so that should change their mind!) and their always pretty accurate, or at least they say they are. I know this is year 11 and stuff, but that still doesn't mean it wont happen. Moral of the story > if u put ur mind to it and think positive, you can do it. I know that sounds really cliche but i swear it's true! Especially if u were previously a high achiever. Remember, u've still got 50% that u havent started. Now lets say ur getting 60s at the moment then that's like 30% already. Add another 50% to that (assuming u get high 90s in the hsc......u can do it if u really want to), and that's 80% plus the scaling. Hope that inspired u :)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
thank you so much everyone. well, i performed really badly in most of my trial exams :rolleyes: but yeah, it's not the end of the world...yet :p

kow_dude: do you go to homebush boys? wow you must have killed the externals!

get_born

last_chance finished her trials on the 16th of August 2005, and she didnt pass out - is that inspirational or what?

HSC
N/A
Homebush Boys? I have friends from there... anyway, moving on.

When I handing in my incomplete Supporting Documentation for Textiles, I thought I was screwed. I knew the major work itself was good, but the supporting documentation was just so lousy, I was expecting a Band 4 at the highest. Ended up with a Band 6 :D

I wasn't very confident for Adv Eng either, as I didn't (and still don't) understand one of the modules. I usually got 6/15 for Transformation assessments... :( And since the textiles MW was due the morning of the Adv Eng, you can imagine the lack of sleep and obvious lack of study.... wasn't feeling too good. Talked to a lot of people (mainly on BOS), did lots of practice essays, and got a Band 6 for eng adv :)

I was also almost failing ee1 and Ancient History at one point, was expecting thirty-something and sixty-something respectively. Ended up with 47/50 and 89/100. :D

With all of the above, I think it's important for me to say that I *did* have some scaling advantages - the bulk of my marks were hoicked up 15 or so out of a hundred thanks to general uber-smart students at my high school (Hornsby Girls). However, there is a lot to be said for the study time between Trials and the actual HSC.

In the trials, you've only just finished learning your stuff... there's no way you can expect yourself to master it all in just a few days! You have months ahead of you to really ingrain everything into your head between now and the HSC. Most people improve a lot during this time (input = output).

As ur_inner_child has said, this is just 50% - you have another 50% to play with. You *can* save your marks later down the track! Don't loose hope just yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)