Inherited $5000, wat do do? (1 Viewer)

weeman22

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, a close relative recently passed away, and as a result i inherited $5000, now i put it all into my ING a/c, but dont want it all to stay there, i wanna spedn $2000 of it in investments, but not sure the ebst options? shares r risky...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
$2000 only

maybe stockmarket if thats your thing?

or the good old TAB, gambling on the decider for the state of origin :)

tractor_chic

HSC
N/A
i inherited alot of money when i turned 18 and i just put in in a fixed term deposit account with 5.75% interest for 6 months while i decide wat i accutally wanna do with it. its good cuz im making money without doing anything!
i think u need at least $5000 to do that though.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
tractor_chic said:
i inherited alot of money when i turned 18 and i just put in in a fixed term deposit account with 5.75% interest for 6 months while i decide wat i accutally wanna do with it. its good cuz im making money without doing anything!
i think u need at least $5000 to do that though.
the ing account has nearly the same interest anyway and you have ready access to your money.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
weeman22 said:
Hey guys, a close relative recently passed away, and as a result i inherited $5000, now i put it all into my ING a/c, but dont want it all to stay there, i wanna spedn $2000 of it in investments, but not sure the ebst options? shares r risky...
$5K isn't much in my opinion. That's the sorta stuff I'd like to have around for a rainy day, let alone $2k invested... the ~5 or 6% you get in ING, etc, is easier in my opinion... In my limited experience, to put small amounts into shares is a waste of time ini the short term. By the time you pay brokerage to buy them, then wait X months/years, then pay the brokerage on the sale of them, plus any taxes in between... :rolleyes: That said, others on here have some wise words which should be heeded if you're interested in stocks.

fatmuscle said:
put $1k in ur super.
...Because the government will contribute $1.50 for every $1 you put in. Then, you get interest on the $2500 you've got in there for the next ~40 years. Good deal, in my opinion, if you've got the $1k to throw around.

You said you want to invest $2k. What do you want to do with the rest?

weeman22

HSC
N/A
well i want to have a lil bit of money in my account just in case i need it for something (i dont have much $$$ apart from that 5k). Not sure about the super idea, cuz i dont really have enuf $$$ to be putting it away like that 4 such a long time, even if it is a good idea.

So apart from shares, n e thing else?

doe

HSC
N/A
in the grand scheme of things, $5k isnt a lot so your options are fairly limited. to go shares, buy an index tracker like SFY but you should try and hold it for at least 6 months, or keep it in cash, open an account with bankwest who offer 6% for the 1st year.

weeman22

HSC
N/A
im aware that 5k aint a lot,but to an 18yr old it is. Maybe i should just leave it in my ING account 4 the time being b4 i decide wat to do with it

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
my friend inherited 5k and put it in some account and now its grown to 11k
all thanks to interest
which i think is wrong
but neways

weeman22

HSC
N/A
5k to 11k through interest?!?!

She must of had it in the bank from when she was young, cuz thats crazy

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
weeman22 said:

well yeah
she got it when she was 8 and now shes 18
so 10 years has grown by 6 thousand
or something like that
but the conditions are she cannot withdraw the money until shes 21
but she can choose to leave it in there for longer btu she has to take the 5k out that she started off with and the remainder can stay in there and continue to build up on interest
hm..interesting concept

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
long term deposit account
i think min is $5000 with an anz one which actually pays about 6% interest.

Cab31

HSC
Nah it was probably held in trust. I won 7000 when i was little and it was held in trust til i was 18 and it turned into 15000.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
weeman22 said:

thats rediculous thats an impossible return just in bank interest.. seriously put it all in shares tho risky but that 5k to 11k return in just a few months or years can be a reality if you know what you are doing... interest is like dirt nothing, maybe compensate for the inflation :/

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
soha said:
my friend inherited 5k and put it in some account and now its grown to 11k
all thanks to interest
which i think is wrong
but neways
I remember someone called you an absolute idiot... Well, I'm not going to argue against that point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)