Information Technology, UMacq - UNSW- UTS or USyd (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi just wanted to know what are the best places to do Information Technology in terms of Job hire

If you could put them in order from best to worst.

Many thanks

HSC
Computer hardware, "the it guy" at school, i'm more interested in assembling/repairing rather than software programming

Demise

HSC
Computer hardware, "the it guy" at school, i'm more interested in assembling/repairing rather than software programming
Then don't do IT, but Hardware Engineering. Repairing/assembling has minimal work whatsoever, it's the technical side that'll get you a job. Building computers isn't too hard and does not require a university degree, IT is more like 'support'.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It sounds like you'd be better off doing a certificate 4 at tafe tbh.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
It sounds like you'd be better off doing a certificate 4 at tafe tbh.
Yep do this. Don't bother with uni, it will be a waste of time and money if you simply just want to be able to repair and build computers from manufacturer parts.

Look at uni as a way to enhance your career progression, in case you ever got bored of computer building, you could move into a corporate business and manage their IT infrastructure, or go on site to examine their servers and computers.

TAFE would allow you to get some credit points for uni, so you can skip subjects at uni and be exempt from them. Sorta like a short cut.

HSC
Yes i want to do "go on site to examine their servers and computers" exactly

is it good at macquarie uni?

i had a look at the uac course guide, but i only see information technology, what course is it called? information system or computer science? if you could give me the code for the university course i would appreciate it

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

i had a look at the uac course guide, but i only see information technology, what course is it called? information system or computer science? if you could give me the code for the university course i would appreciate it
If you really want to go to uni then information technology is your best bet. But a certificate 4 and/or a few industry certifications (i.e. maybe a CCNA or one of the various Microsoft, Apple, Red Hat etc. certifications?) will suffice for what you want to get into it seems. To me it looks like you want to get into consulting or more kind of maintenance jobs so you should steer clear of computer science which is heavy on the theory behind computing.

As for Macquarie being good - i don't know. Depends on your atar as to what uni you should go to, i think USYD and UNSW have really high cut offs for it. If it's not too late and you are interested and have extra curriculars, confidence for interviews look into the BIT coop scholarship program at UTS and the equivalent at UNSW (only bother with UNSW scholarships if you are going to be getting a VERY high atar). If it's too late or you don't think you'd get in then i'd say the BscIT course at UTS should be pretty good, almost all of your subjects are shared with the BIT students and i hear it has a pretty good reputation. If MrBrightside checks this thread again he might be able to give a better insight since he is a BIT student lol.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

ICT Engineering, majoring in telecommunications, would probably land you better chances of on site jobs than a degree in IT (IT is heavily involved with screen work, I can't speak much of engineering, but from talking to other people, engineering seems to be the way to go for a more off-screen approach). - But this involves maths and physics in its core. Engineering is heavy on theory. course code: 603065

Another alternative is to apply for cadetships. Optus has a really good one where you work for them 4 days of the week, and study at TAFE for a diploma for a 1 day of the week. The experience would be invaluable to your career progression, but you won't end up with a degree unless you go for further study later in your life. Having said this [Guaranteed experience + diploma qualifications is > standalone degree].

Optus Cadetship: http://www.optus.com.au/aboutoptus/About+Optus/Careers/Engineering+Cadet+Program

Demise

HSC
IT is minimal hardware work IIRC. You need in-depth engineering knowledge if you expect to get hired as a server analyst lol. It's not just like, "run the firewall system check", "run anti-virus system". If you're checking their hardware, you're most likely going to be fiddling around with electrical wiring, system specifications (physically), upgrading parts, modifying and also mitigating DDOS attacks possibly. Do computer engineering to get in-depth and differentiate yourself and take some courses in programming - if you're an all rounder, you'd be pretty badass and would find a job with less difficulty.

HSC
Ok i will look at the UAC book and report back

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you do Computer Engineering you might be over qualified for the jobs you are interested in though. There is a huge difference between being an it guy and doing repairs/maintenance etc. and being a system admin. Think carefully about all this stuff and maybe choose a flexible first year course because university isn't neccesarily easy and im not sure if you'll have a whole lot of motivation as you don't even have a set career goal really. Computer Engineering has a lot of Electrical subjects and electrical is notorious for being heavy on maths.

HSC
Thats really a big problem, because i only do 2 unit maths..So course i'm looking at-Macquarie UNI ------------- B Eng Major in Comp Eng- UNSW ---------------------B Information Systems / B Eng (flexible) (Computer) / B Science (computer science)- USYD ---------------------B Eng (flexible) (B IT or B Comp Sc and Tech) / B Eng (computer) / B IT- UTS -----------------------B ICT Eng (Computer Systems), Dip ENG practice / B ICT Eng, Dip Eng practice- UWS -------------------B Computing (info systems) / B ICT Sorry i don't know how to format properly, it keeps getting rid of the paragraphs

Last edited:

HSC
So are ICT Eng, Info Systems, Comp Eng suitable for me?

HSC
But then i already filled all the 9 pref with IT and commerce for UNSW, USYD, UTS, MACQUARIE AND UWS. I think i will get rid of UWS and either UNSW or USYD to make room for ICT Eng or Info Systems

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
So are ICT Eng, Info Systems, Comp Eng suitable for me?
There is maths in ICT Eng, Comp Eng and Computer Science - i only did 2unit and it's not too much of a problem. But you have to realise they are all completely different from IT and prepare you for different jobs. The jobs themselves are not really exclusive to graduates from either degree though, but you should still pick the appropriate one for what you want to do after you graduate. From what i understand Info Systems is pretty much just another name for IT.

Oh, and yeah bos is playing up with paragraphs lately.

HSC
Will i have problems if i don't do software design or IPT?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Will i have problems if i don't do software design or IPT?
Nah, it'd be helpful if you had experience with programming though. Not neccesary however.

Edit: Also SDD and IPT are subjects that aren't viewed too well by unis, that's why UNSW for example offer no (little?) bonus points for them. Its possible to do well in SDD and not know much about programming, but depending on what your teacher teaches you and what you make for your assignments, particularly if you have a major, you can get quite a bit of experience with programming.

Last edited:

HSC
i added ICT at UTS computing and ICT computing at USYD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)