Infectious Disease (1 Viewer)

Bokky

HSC
hi guys, im just wondering if Food poisoning is an infectious disease? It is transmitted through food and not through humans, so i dont understand whether its a nutritional disease, or an infectious disease?

If it is an infectious, how many marks would I get if i answered a question where it asks to describe a NAMEDinfectious disease in terms of Cause, Transmission, Treatment etc.

Name: Food Poisoning
Cause: Bacteria (staphyllococcus) that produces a toxin.
Transmission: Through contaminated food.
Host response: Body produces antibodies against the antigenic bacteria.
Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, nausea.
Treatment: Rest and drinking water to replace lost fluid.
Prevention: Improved sanitation, proper food preparation and refrigiration.
Control: Health laws and regulations

ta :)

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on what type of food poisoning you're talking about. From your list there, Staphylococcus-contaminated food is infectious. But if you use mercury or any other heavy metal food poisoning, then it is not infectious.

As to how many marks you might get, it really also depends on the marks awarded for that question. If it is a 3-4 mark question, you might get full mark. If it is a 7-8 mark question, you need to expand on how Staphylococcus cause the infection. e.g. cause food intoxication due to the production of exotoxin, which means that the bacteria themselves don't have to be present in the food to cause the infection, but the toxin already produced by the microorganism onto the food actually cuase the disease. And more info on each of the categories to gain the full 7-8 marks. But hten again, it probably ask you to evaluate something as well, such as the current control and treatment methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)