Indv+Soc - Related text appropriateness? (1 Viewer)

uberschveinen

HSC
I've been reading over the marking criteria recently in much greater detail than ever before, and I've just realised something that was never made known to a single person I know. It seems that, according to the wording of the criterion, your text doesn't have to be of the 19th century, obviously, but it's worded in a fashion that implies that it must be about the 19th century in some way, not just 19th century Ways of Thinking related to the Individual and Society. Naturally, I panicked, given that I'm using the Crucible as a text, and while it covers in great detail many of the aspects relating to 19th century ways of thinking, it's obviously not about the 19th century itself.

Is my reading of the criterion correct? Will I have to abandon this text and just use my other two, or am I just overreacting to my own misintepretations?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
hmmmm, this may be too late to answer your question but I don't think you have understood the criteria correctly. So, the crucible, I'm assuming, was not set in the 19th century...if so, you shouldn't use it. I think the criteria means that it doesn't have to be written in the 19th century but it has to have a 19th century context.

JayJay07

HSC
Yes the text must be in the context of the 19th Century. It is better if it is written then, however a 20th century text about the 19th Century, like Langton's P&P would suffice.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
A text wirtten in the 19th century about another time will have still been influenced by the 19th century context.

So IMO you could use it, but it would require you to analyse it in a different manner to other texts which are actually set in the period. The whole idea is to write about the ways of thinking of the 19th century, and when the book was written the author would have been thinking like a 19th century person.

uberschveinen

HSC
orange_blob said:
A text wirtten in the 19th century about another time will have still been influenced by the 19th century context.

So IMO you could use it, but it would require you to analyse it in a different manner to other texts which are actually set in the period. The whole idea is to write about the ways of thinking of the 19th century, and when the book was written the author would have been thinking like a 19th century person.
My point is that while it is a mid 20th text about an early 18th series of events, it examines in great detail many of the ways of thinking prevalent in the 19th century that relate to the individual and society.

I guess the point is: is the focus of the module of 19th century society, or its ways of thinking? Since the latter is the better, and that's what my text adresses, I think it should work out.

JayJay07

HSC
orange_blob said:

Yeh but the Crucible was written in the 20th Century I believe, about the 17th century (or 18th I dunno).

uberschveinen, there is no point changing now if you've been working on it for months, the exam is tomorrow. Just make sure you use the text well. And hope it all works out.

JayJay07

HSC
uberschveinen said:
I guess the point is: is the focus of the module of 19th century society, or its ways of thinking? Since the latter is the better, and that's what my text adresses, I think it should work out.
It is 'ways of thinking.' I don't really understand how a 20th C. play written in an 17th C context is relevant to 19th C. ways of thinking, but then again I haven't read it so ...

uberschveinen

HSC
It covers all six of the ways of thinking I want to analyse. It isn't 19th century, but it's 19th century ways of thinking in every aspect. Since that's the name of the topic, I figured it would be fine. My extension teacher didn't mind when I did it in every essay we've had so far, and she's the best english teacher in my school.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
JayJay07 said:
Yeh but the Crucible was written in the 20th Century I believe, about the 17th century (or 18th I dunno).
Okay, my bad - I don't know anything about The Crucible, and I read the other post backwards :shy:

If you acknowledge that the text wasn't composed or set in the nineteenth century, and justfy how it aids in understanding the 19th century, then it might work alright.

But since the syllabus actually says it has to be written in or about the 19th C idealy you'd want to do that.

It's probably a bit late to switch now though, and even if you do get marked down for using it you may perform better than you would with a different text that you don't know as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)