Industry experience extra 9 months? (1 Viewer)

abcderic

Untitled
HSC
So I went to this session at UTS and the speaker said there would be no included industry experience in the BBusiness/BIT combined degree I will be taking. Would it be wise to take an extra 9 months to do industry experience or just immediately find a job after my degree? + I have absolutely no prior work experience whatsoever. Never had a job. Any suggestions? pls

Sincerely, FutureUTSstudent

termin8

HSC
Take the extra 9 months and get experience. Especially if you have no industry experience/or any work experience period.
Remember, that piece of paper will only get you so far in the real world once you graduate, you'll be competing with hundreds of other graduates to get a job and I'm telling you now, experience (especially industry specific experience) will get you a long way and be extremely advantageous.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can transfer to include the diploma of ___ practice. I did it with my Eng/Bus course. If you want to do that it's wise to transfer asap as a transfer is a transfer and it means your gpa is reset and your transcript will list the old course seperately. (Doesn't really matter but it'd be a shame to transfer late and not be going as well as you did early on)

Alternatively you can just do your own thing, apply for your own internships and do it at your pace. You won't get the diploma, but you'll get the experience and won't have to worry about uni requirements. I think the IT faculty has far more lax requirements than the Eng faculty though - we have to do two seperate internships and 4 subjects with your enrolment being limited if it takes too long to find your first one. I believe IT faculties internships are just a year long usually done at the end, but i've never really looked into it.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Practical experience will almost always triumph over a degree. A business, if you are worth it may also offer to pay for your education, whether it be a certificate, diploma or even university studies. Most will allow you to study and work at the same time, provided that you can complete all the set tasks in a smaller time frame.

I had the intention of doing a gap year, so I got a job at an accounting firm. The firm offered me a cert III business admin (fully paid) and to allow me to go to uni part-time (partially subsidised).

Seriously consider doing work experience because it makes you a more competitive, more valuable asset in the workforce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)