Industrial production of ethanol from sugar cane (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
Can someone please help me with this dot point?
"Process information from secondary sources to summarise the processes involved in the industrial production of ethanol from sugar cane"

At the moment, I've only got a very basic flow diagram from HSC online, does anyone have any more info, or know where I can get some?
My textbooks seem useless.

HSC
• Process information from secondary sources to Summarise the processes involved in the industrial production of ethanol from sugar cane

Ethanol can be obtained from sugar cane involving fermentation & use of sugar cane crops as a raw material, the processes includes;
1) Sugar cane is harvested, stripped of leaves and placed in toothed rolls to extract juice containing sugar
2) Hot water is sprayed over the crushed stems to dissolve out some of the remainder sugar
3) The solution is filtered (to remove impurities) and dried
4) The syrup (molasses) formed is centrifuged (spun) to separate the sugar crystals
5) The raw sugar crystals are dissolved, & refined at refinery
6) The sucrose is dissolved in water in a stale container, and heated to 37°C
7) Yeast is added to the process
8) On completion of fermentation, ethanol is removed from the water/ethanol mixture by fractional distillation
Any left over sucrose (C12H22O11) present is converted to glucose, and the enzymes convert that glucose into ethanol and carbon dioxide.

Because ethanol is slightly toxic to enzymes, ethanol has to be regular removed from the fermentation process, this can be done through fractional distillation or molecular sieving, most yield can withstand upto 12% ethanol concentrations, modified bacterium can withstand more.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Remember to always include an equation:

C6H12O6(aq) yeast > 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g)

Also, a temperature of ~37° must be maintained to ensure the efficiency of the yeast.

You can also answer this question with a flow-chart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)