Industrial Chemistry pracs that can be examined (1 Viewer)

sandz_2

HSC
Hi there.. i was just wondering if anyone has any idea which pracs in this option can be assessed as a practical assessment since we have one coming up in 2 weeks. Yet we will have no idea what prac we are doin nor will we have started this option.. any ideas will be appreciated :)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
for starters, the best way to get a clearer idea of what could be asked is to look through the right hand side column throughout the syllabus. this is the side of practical experience that a student must have accomplished throughout the course. in Industrial Chem the most likely thing (due to simplicity) is an equilibrium prac where they'll give you chemicals and test tubes and u just have to crete an equilibrium then make some changes and observe their effects.

i doubt greatly that they would ask you to do any of the sulfuric acid practicals involving oxidising and dehydration because they are dangerous and are supposed to be done in fume cupboards. and i doubt that they will ask you to do an electrolysis reaction unless your school has plenty of equipment for it. and the complexity of a saponfication reaction deters me from thinking that they would give that to you in a prac either because it takes time to create and test the products.

so through process of elimination there aren't much really that they can give you due to the time, monetary and logical constraints.

hope this helps.

PS don't forget that practical exams can also invovle theory work where they ask you for the results of something or the method/discussion of an experiement you've done already in class ;)

sandz_2

HSC
hey wm_abusef.. thx for your help :) .. i looked at the syllabus document with all the first-hand investigations beforehand, but found that many of the experiments were quite complicated e.g. oxidation and i wanted to find out if any other schools have done practical assessments whereby you perform the experiment and hand up the report 2 days later. We only done one 3 weeks ago.. but we kinda knew what we were doing but this time round.. we walk in and we will have no idea what experiment we are going to perform. Anyways.. thx :)

alisonnnn

HSC
we did a saponification prac this year.

wasn't too bad, I think we had a double, and then came back the next day to test.

I passed, so yay!

littlemaster

HSC
yeah the pracs have to be simple. I've had to prac tests over yr 11 and 12 and they have both been using indicators.

simple, quick and tests skills.

industrial: equilibrius is the only feasible "prac" however in a bio prac test they also assessed us on the other "gather and process dot points"

they could:

-give u a map of a place and get you to explain where the ideal location for a solvay( or any process) plant could be located( consider proximity to labour, maket, resourses, waste disposal)
-Tell you to decribe a procedure, hence just like write it out
-calculations are also a biggie at my school: use ICE tables for equilibrium constant questions( thus initail, change in, and equilibrium conc's for each species)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)