Industrial Chem: Natural Product (1 Viewer)

ricenoodles

HSC
Discuss the issues associated with shrinking world resources with regard to one identified natural product that is not a fossil fuel identifying the replacement materials used and/or current research in place to find a replacement for the named material

im researching on this dot point and im not sure which natural product i should use.
what natural product is everyone using?

atm, im thinking of using rubber. i know its hydrocarbon polymer, but im not sure if its a fossil fuel or not, is it?

any help appreciated

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Pathways and Contexts have a lot on these dotpoints. I did rubber, theres a lot of stuff on it.

ricenoodles

HSC
Thanks Huy and babydoll_

i have another question..this is from the students colomn:

identify data, gather and process information to identify and discuss the issues associated with the increased need for a natural resource that is not a fossil fuel and evaluate the progress currently being made to solve the problems identified

im not really sure how to answer this dot point..it seems rather similar to the other one.
how did you answer this dot point?

Victorist

I used rubber.

To answer that dot point:

Until 1940s rubber had been obtained from plantations of rubber trees in tropical areas.

Due to the war, demand for rubber increased, and supplies were interrupted by the conflict.

Consequently German and US scientists developed synthetic polymers that could replace rubber.

Synthetic rubbers eventually took over the market as natural rubber could not meet the increased demand.

Now 80% of the rubber is synthetic, and the most common is SBR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)