in the wild br and bnw (1 Viewer)

Lucia09

HSC
Hey just wondering if anyone could explain to me what they think 'in the wild' means? Also if anyone could help me with interpretations of 'in the wild' in BR and BNW. Thanks

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Well, do some brainstorming. What could 'In the Wild' possibly mean? Take a sheet of paper and just jot down ideas for the concepts of 'In the Wild'. Some examples to help you on your way:
  • 'In the Wild' pertains to being a release from the conformity of society, through non-confirmity or actions unfamiliar to the accepted norm; a deformity or outside presence
  • A place without outside influence
  • Exposed to vunerability
  • The lack of control over ones environment.

I'm sure you can come up with more! :)

You should form it into a definition like the first one, and use it in your essay introduction. The above have been used heavily so probably best to find something unique.

The module is all about 'In the Wild', so whatever you come up with, try to link it to your points. If you used the last example above, the lack of control over ones environment, then you could relate it to how in BR the natural world was lost through consumerism, blah blah, and how in BNW, they locked it up (savage reservation), and conditioned people to find the rest repulsive.

Hope that helps!

You should participate here, might help you a bit! :)

Best Regards,

Med

\edit\ read the FAQ

Last edited:

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Okay...well, my teacher gave us the definition of the natural world and its rhythms.

But consider the two texts...

They are essentially about humanity losing itself, right? So you can say that In The Wild relates to the natural state of humans, and how each text portrays a society whose relationship with 'The Wild' has been destroyed or tampered with, or ignored, or whatever.

Yus...I might be wrong...

maskd

HSC
You're never wrong in English, just have a differing of interpretation.

Chimerical

HSC
maskd said:
You're never wrong in English, just have a differing of interpretation.
Try explaining that to your parents when you fail English in the HSC lol

SLB

HSC
Can you actually fail english? or do you just get really really low marks?

rachelm

HSC
N/A
Almighty BZZZ has got it right. Explore the notion of the way humanity is affected as a result of the damage done to the environment. You could also look at the reservation in BNW - it is limited environment and the growth their is unnatural too. Besides Huxley endorses no world and finds Savage alienated utterly. Ultimately "the wild" is the corrupted urbanised humanity. This is also seen in BR. There is no wild in the sense of nature but savagery/danger etc are clearly presented in the oppressive urban world which is morally corrupt and desperate to eek out survival.
NAture in both texts explores the existential idea of ewhat it is to be human? Is it emotion?

Lani89

HSC
I am a bit confused over the meaning of "In the Wild" plus my teacher didn't even want to explain it to me when I asked her. Do BNW and BR take place in the wild or out of the wild? Does this vary depending on the way you interpret the concept?

Guernica

HSC
Lani89 said:
I am a bit confused over the meaning of "In the Wild" plus my teacher didn't even want to explain it to me when I asked her. Do BNW and BR take place in the wild or out of the wild? Does this vary depending on the way you interpret the concept?
How I see it:
In Bladerunner, the wild basically doesn't exist (look at the bonsai plant - its one of the only 'natural' things you see in the movie and it is controlled 'wild' because its growth is controlled by humans).
In BNW, the wild does exist, but it is separated from the BNWers. Huxley does speak of natural surroundings - but the BNWers are conditioned not to like it.

BNW and BR can be contrasted under 'in the wild' in this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)