• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In need of advice for Ext II (1 Viewer)

jacq093

HSC
hey guys
i'm finishing up my first draft for my short story. I've been on this site, skim-reading some of the past major works. and WOW they are amazing. That and the fact that i've read my story and it sounds nowhere near as good, is making me really nervous. How do you know when your story is good enough? Also, first drafts aren't supposed to be...'perfect' right? lol just need some reassurance.

Also, this is (briefly) my 'idea'. The protagonist is an eight year old boy. It is essentially an examination of the Romantic's notions (from ext I) that "the imagination holds a truth" and that "Children see the world in a 'clearer' way than adults". It also explores the significance of these two notions in easing the "Five stages of Grief" (as a result of the boy being 'confronted' with death).

does this sound too cliche? being about death and all..?
I'm just really nervous
thanks in advance :)

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
Ah, someone else doing Romanticism in ext1!
That is a really good idea actually, exploring the whole child seeing truths more clearly than adults and the markers will love that you're incorporating stuff from ext1.
Omg you've freaked me out though - you've done the first draft?!!?!? Mid-xmas-holidays?! Ohhhh dear.. And here I am still struggling to come up with a plot/plan for my story.. I was told term 1 would be the drafting term. But oh well, good on you I guess!
And yeah, definitely doesn't need to be perfect, being first draft and all!!
I don't suppose I could read your draft? You have me intrigued!

alexmartinek

HSC
im not doing a short story but that sounds really good.....you will be absolutely fine!
keep working at it and get your teachers to check it constantly

good luck and dont stress

agua.fuego

HSC
Mrs-Darcy said:
Omg you've freaked me out though - you've done the first draft?!!?!? Mid-xmas-holidays?! Ohhhh dear.. And here I am still struggling to come up with a plot/plan for my story.. I was told term 1 would be the drafting term. But oh well, good on you I guess!
Just like me. I'm starting each part now....:mad: trauma

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
laurenfreeman10 said:
I just started writting - this very moment.
Fuck scared.
its ok, late night writing is where the very best ideas occur :)

LordPc

HSC
Idea sounds alright, not to cliche, but it just be sure that you dont fall into the trap of writing a story that is a cliche

and you keep writing until you cant write no more. when you think you are done, give it to your teacher and they will point out several mistakes. Fix those up and do it again, and repeat until hand it in day.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hey the first draft will never be great or polished or anything like that. It would be very interesting to read the first draft of any great novel.

What makes a work great is the revision and editing and then your work will shine.

The first draft is the first 10% of the work.

Don't worry, you will be able to make your Ext 2 work great like the others. You still have a lot of time to do that.

Don't freak and don't fret.

-tal-

HSC
jacq093 said:
hey guys
i'm finishing up my first draft for my short story. I've been on this site, skim-reading some of the past major works. and WOW they are amazing. That and the fact that i've read my story and it sounds nowhere near as good, is making me really nervous. How do you know when your story is good enough? Also, first drafts aren't supposed to be...'perfect' right? lol just need some reassurance.

Also, this is (briefly) my 'idea'. The protagonist is an eight year old boy. It is essentially an examination of the Romantic's notions (from ext I) that "the imagination holds a truth" and that "Children see the world in a 'clearer' way than adults". It also explores the significance of these two notions in easing the "Five stages of Grief" (as a result of the boy being 'confronted' with death).

does this sound too cliche? being about death and all..?

I'm just really nervous
thanks in advance :)
Great idea at the start, but then you get the 5 stages of death thing, which is very cliched. Interesting concept though.

accio.brain

HSC
Your idea sounds pretty interesting but oh my gosh you've done your 1st draft ALREADY? ahh, well done though :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)