• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Important - New Legislation - Read! (1 Viewer)

do you agree with the federal government's new legislation?

• i agree

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • i disagree

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters

LazyBoy

HSC
Asquithian said:
Oh bah jeesus.

Whats the difference between a bar in a city and a bar in a uni?
the distance that you have to travel after and inbetween lectures :p

LazyBoy

HSC
withoutaface said:
There are plenty of westies at usyd, and UWS have a lot lower union fees than usyd.
Yeah im aware of this, im not saying they wont struggle im just saying schools with many rich kids will suffer less. I dont think UWS has many people from the northshore and the affluent parts of sydney (a for snobbery reasons, and b for travel reasons)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
yeah, i think paying the fees is useless, but then i think about it that it, i do feel sorry for the loss of jobs and such.

most who complain are the external and part time students.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
withoutaface said:
There are plenty of westies at usyd, and UWS have a lot lower union fees than usyd.
u idiot course we have lower student fees, we dont have half as much facilities as you's do.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I disagree. Not in theory, but purely because it is so weak in structure that it is pointless having there.

I highly doubt USYD is going to all voluntary fee's and will probably take the $2.3 million cut.

T

timbk2

just watched the 7:30 report where the guy tried to drill brendon nelson over the issue.

I think its a good idea, provided that essential services such as bars, sports centres and food outlets remain. Im sure the uni's will have many other ways to subsidise the cost themselves, many unis just increased their hecs costs by 25%.. i dont see why not.

For special services such as child care, councelling or legal services, then those who want to use them can pay for it. Even if its $5 a visit, im sure they'll end up paying less than the $500-600 in union fees every year for alot of the other service that they dont use.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
look I have no problem paying an extra 25c per bottle of coke from zippys or whatever. if the union cant even run a convinience store (chocolate bars, the paper, drinks etc) to be profitable then they should beat it and the uni should outsource the shopspace to an interested business (dont forget the union outlets get the land RENT FREE from the uni) if they are unprofitable then wtf are they doing
isn't that from business studies 1011; if you cant survive you get eaten by a more efficient company.

and ffs get rid of that pottery studio

Generator

HSC
N/A
timbk2 said:
just watched the 7:30 report where the guy tried to drill brendon nelson over the issue.

I think its a good idea, provided that essential services such as bars, sports centres and food outlets remain. Im sure the uni's will have many other ways to subsidise the cost themselves, many unis just increased their hecs costs by 25%.. i dont see why not.

For special services such as child care, councelling or legal services, then those who want to use them can pay for it. Even if its $5 a visit, im sure they'll end up paying less than the $500-600 in union fees every year for alot of the other service that they dont use.
Hmmm... I think that you have your 'special' and 'essential' service tags mixed up, but that's just me. Besides, I thought that Nelson was on the ropes and was forever falling back on the choice argument (however worthy that may be). Oh well.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you're forgetting, that 25% HECS increase only happened because the Federal Government has spent the last decade refusing to meet the increasing funding requirements of the tertiary sector. That HECS is paying for old debts that the government should have but did not fill.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nelson makes a valid point that the existing union services such as food outlets, etc will be open for small businesses to take up. There shouldn't be an large disparity in prices.

I don't see how this will have an impact on students aside from not having to listen to the incessant rantings of a few megalomanical student political groups.

The sports groups have rallied together and seem to think that they can get past the legislation with a new compulsary sports fee. All I can say is GOOD LUCK! The Bill is very clear: forcing membership in non-academic related groups is out.

Finally people don't have to waste money ever year on things they don't use.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
For a person who is pretty sporting oriented the sport issue is a major loss to society in general.
I don't think society is going to be too troubled when the soccer team doesn't get new shorts this year.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
im not very sports orientated, but i can see the cost it will blow to aussie sports development.

I think the society is going to be too troubled when the soccer team has to share a rugby field, which coincidently also becomes a martathon field as well, as all other fields deteriment.
Also when sports, such as gym memberships become more expensive for students, and any kind of fitness gains will prove to be small.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
Bars outside the uni manage to survive without $600 compulsory contribution from every patron.
yes but they also charge a lot more then $6.50 for a steak, salad, and a beer.
Or $3 a schooner.
Or survive without pokies.
Or are able to be open for nearly the whole day.
Or are able to hold student entertainment.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and after reading the whole thread I have just realised the following:
many uni students wont have jobs. It is very convenient for students to have a job around campus to pay for and to satisfy some needs. VSU makes me angry

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
oh and after reading the whole thread I have just realised the following:
many uni students wont have jobs. It is very convenient for students to have a job around campus to pay for and to satisfy some needs. VSU makes me angry
Are you referring to the employment given to students by the union under the current system?

Well under VSU wouldn't students be hired by whoever runs the food and bar outlets around uni? Because I think this would be the case.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Union - relatively secure employment (even if it's casual).
Small Business - Will be exempt from unfair dismissal laws.

Not only will the pole be shoved in and then twisted to the side, but it will also leave a trail of splinters when it is pulled out, too :).

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sorry but I just see USU as an unnecessary infringment on our rights to choose.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Union - relatively secure employment (even if it's casual).
Small Business - Will be exempt from unfair dismissal laws.

Not only will the pole be shoved in and then twisted to the side, but it will also leave a trail of splinters when it is pulled out, too :).

Well for business to dismiss someone, they have a 3 month probationary period anyway. (not sure if this will change under proposed the Industrial Reforms).

If you're implying that under small business in VSU, students as employees would be worse off, well that is debatable (if you weren't implying this, my apologies).

It wouldn't make sense for small to dismissing stuff. As a small business, you would still want quality workers who will do the job well. Furthermore, it's costly to train staff. I'm sure most uni students on this forum who work in retail, food stores and other uni type jobs can recall mistakes during their first few weeks at work. These mistakes cost employers money. It doesn't make sense to keep training ppl and having mistakes made.

The only down-side regarding to employment (specifically from an employee/student point of view) under VSU i can see so far is that the rate of pay p/hr would not be as high as it is currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)