Important message for eye health. (1 Viewer)

x.glam

HSC
err i always see a floating light arond. well like sometimes now and then if you know what i mean. but isnt that normal? quite a lot of people have it too. but like not all the time though. but i go to the optometrist like every 2years or so, and ive never been told that it was unusual. so hopefully its nothing serious...

Nat3skiz

HSC
x.glam said:
err i always see a floating light arond. well like sometimes now and then if you know what i mean. but isnt that normal? quite a lot of people have it too. but like not all the time though. but i go to the optometrist like every 2years or so, and ive never been told that it was unusual. so hopefully its nothing serious...
errr if you've been told its nothing unusual whats the necessity of the post? Just wonderin.

rozymisty

HSC
Shes prob asking about it coz some say its normal and others say its not.

Ive been told and read that floaters are normal in most cases but they can be signs that a retinal detachment is on the way, and something you have t be careful of if you have high prescription lenses.

Normally floaters as far as i know are just like burst blood vessels...all blood vessels will burst at some time in everyone and they will show up in your eyes.

This is some info from the eye doctors that I go and see: Heres the website for more info: http://www.terraceeyecentre.com.au/default.asp?section=info_flo

Q
What is a floater?
TOP OF PAGE A
Floaters are relatively transparent, vague, usually curved objects that are seen best when looking at a white piece of paper, blue sky, light colored ceiling, or wall. They sometimes look like cobwebs, worms, rings, dots, or specks. Eye movement makes floaters more visible as they swirl about like seaweed in the ocean surf.
Q
What is the most common cause of floaters?
TOP OF PAGE A
They are usually caused by a clumping of pre-existing vitreous fibers in the eye. Therefore, doctors usually refer to them as vitreous condensations.
Q
What are some of the other causes?
TOP OF PAGE A
Some floaters are red blood cells or blood clots on the surface of the retina or floating in the vitreous. Such blood cells may occur with some retinal tears but do not necessarily indicate a tear. Occasionally, the vitreous can pull on a blood vessel on the surface of the retina and cause bleeding without causing a tear of the retina. Vascular disorders such as diabetic retinopathy and vein occlusion frequently result in bleeding inside the eye.

Rarely, floaters may be inflammatory in origin. Diseases such as pars planitis and uveitis can cause the formation of clumps of white blood cells (cells that the body produces when there is inflammation).

Floaters can also appear after a YAG laser capsule opening procedure (capsulotomy). After almost 50% of cataract surgery procedures that involve the implantation of intra-ocular lenses, the layer of tissue behind this lens becomes cloudy, causing a decrease in vision. The YAG laser capsule opening procedure is performed in these cases to place an opening in this "lens capsule", which usually results in better vision, but can also cause floaters.

Q
How common are flashes and floaters?
TOP OF PAGE A
Very common - Over 70% of the population experience these problems.

rozymisty

HSC
I went for a check up today and was nervous that the doc was going to say to operate. The long wait didnt help the nerves!

I told him I think its gotten worse, but im hoping that its just the fluid seeping in, coz it does go away most of the time, and its worse at night when I can see a black spot. During the day its like white cloudy stuff.

He had a look, and went hmm and I was like FUCK. he said yes you can say that, i think its bigger. He got me to lie down in the chair to have a look and said that its gotten bigger in the area that he doesnt want it to tear, which I think means the macula, coz thats harder to heal etc. And he said there is a new hole which is small.

I immediately started shaking and crying, and he said that he woudl operate and put in a scleral buckle and gas bubble. I thougth he woudl do it the next day coz thats what they normally do. But then he said coz its been there for 2-3 wks, he can leave it for 2-3 weeks and get my head around it and prepare as best as I can for it.

I need to take 3-4 weeks off work, which being a shift worker and a nurse who already has their shifts up to the end of April, isnt good at all. I had told my manager before I left work this afternoon that I was hoping the doctor wasnt wanting to operate straight away coz you naturally need to give them notice of time off work.

The first 10-14 days I have to always sit upright, including to sleep!!! Do you know how hard that is going to be?!! I think i might be able to bend over and strain on the loo etc for 10mins every hr, but still.

And i know that I am going to get bored shitless!!! There is only a certain amount of stuff that you can watch on tv and dvds and stuff wtihout being bored.

My friends are going to prob come over and try and entertain me which will be nice.

And I dont have a lounge chair..coz ive got my bed and tv together so i just watch tv in bed. So now I have to go to Ikea or some cheap place like that and get a chair that is comfy and can support my head and let me curl up a bit. The doc said I could try and hire out a recliner from a medical company....

quik.

HSC
]:

Not a nice situation to be in, all the best for a hassle free surgery and recovery though! Will also keep my fingers crossed that your work is very flexible, sounds like you'll need them to be.

Let us know how you manage to stay upright when you're asleep... I know I wouldn't be able to. :p

rozymisty

HSC
lol thanks. thats what im worried about too...staying upright while sleeping. If I get a recliner or cheap couch that i can like curl up into, and like turn side on, then I should get by.

Ive got 2 wks to stress about it.... Going to get up earlier tomorrow so i can talk to the manager. I think I should be able to get some Sickness Allowance from Centrelink, coz ive only got like 25hrs annual leave and no sick leave. Got to take any sick leave I have from April 21, hopefully, when I get the ingrown toenail fixed...

As for shit to do for the 4wks Ive got off, well ill be a very frequent visitor to the video store and goin to borrow the ninendo 64 (yes we've still got that ancient thing around :D) and play that if i can. Not sure if i will be able to look down and read....got quite a collection of books from cheap fares etc to read...would be a great time to read them lol

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
rozymisty be wary, some of those symptons you have mentioned could lead to glaucoma. do you have a family history of eye problems?

HSC
i've had this tiny little dot thing since i was a little kid, like if i shut my eyes or look up into the sky or whatever there's this miniscule little dot in my vision and it follows my eyes around when i look left or right or whatever. it's always kinda weirded me out.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Aralia said:
Errr...it's a bit late for my left eye, everything gets fuzzy beyond half a metre, but my right one can see really far.
I have the same problem..and can see fine with both.

rozymisty

HSC
No the rest of the family are lucky bloody things and have no sight problems. Mum got glasses for reading and stuff about 10yrs or maybe less but thats like age related and stuff.

I know that glaucuoma and cataracts are a big risk/complication of retinal surgery, esp whne the scleral buckle like squeezes the eye and that can build up pressure. Id rather have cataracts, coz i know then it can be fixed and stuff, unlike glaucoma.

In the brochure the doc gave me, it says that in young people glaucoma is less of a risk. But once you get the surgery, the other eye can start to tear, some sort of sympathetic something or other....

Im shit scared fo the complications, mostly my vision getting worse or losin the eye.

rozymisty

HSC
lol well I think i wear a patch and shield thing for the first night then see him the next day, and then at night time i have to wear the protective shield so i dont damage my eye.

Im hoping that lying on my left side hasnt caused the pressure to increase....

Cant work for 4 wks,a nd i told the boss i cant do lifting and stuff for a few wks after that properly. She wasnt happy that she has to reorganise the roster and stuff like that but i was like well do u want me to go blind and never be able to work properly again or do you want the 2 wks notice and jsut rearange a few weeks and me to retain my eye sight.

rozymisty

HSC
Well tomorrow (Thursday) is when the big event is happening.

Went in for my pre-admission talk and yeah, feel a bit more calm. the nurse was telling me that the anaesthetist comes and talks to me and she's one of the nicest ones around which is great to hear. The nurse said that I get the eye drops put in etc etc then they take me to the pre op area where they give me a sedative, and then get wheeled into the theatre.

She was saying that some people, particularly young men for some reason can not handle the idea of being awake during such a procedure and im like well duh! They are operating on your bloody eye and stuff!! But the nurse said they can start you off with the sedation and then before the op starts, put you under completely. obviously it would be hard for them to stick a tube down your throat when the docotor is in your head space.

I just hope that I can cope with sleeping upright for at least 2 weeks. I hope that the gas bubble gets absorbed even more quicker so I can sleep properly.

At least i havent torn the macula, coz if i had a hole there, id have to sleep on like a massage table for 22hrs of each 24hrs for 5 days apparently!! How much would that fucking suck!! The nurse was saying with the gas bubble, people do tend to get stiffnecks and backs, so I guess that will suck coz i get tense muscles anyway...the physio today was massaging my back and it hurt a lot at the trigger points.

rozymisty

HSC
Well its day 4 and I am getting so bored...well 5 days including the day of hte op. the op was easy...recovery wasnt..have to sit/lie with my head at a 45 degree angle, so 99% of my time has been spent in the recliner, either dozing or watching tv trhough one eye..isnt easy.

I am now getting bored and frustrated with not being able to do anything. When i go out, i look strange having my head tilted right back.

The gas bubble looks like an embryo hehe. I really hope that its gone in 10 days rather than 14 days, coz thats mroe time that i will get depressed. And i just got my period badly today so im not in the best of moods.

Had to go to the ER on Sat night, from 5.30, saw a doc at like 1.30am!! I had really bad indigestion like pain and the doc finally saw me after that long wait, thankfully after the nurse saw me at 8, she let me stay in the bed coz of how i had to have my head tilted. The doc just felt my stomach and asked a few questions and said oh its wind pain, it will pass...and im like ive farted and burped heaps of times so why is it there? The nurse gave me this thing called pink lady-local anaesthetic and mylanta together---was foul and made swallowing hard coz it was all numb. That wore off of course and then the pain returned but not as bad.

hehe then we went to the hungry jacks and had to walk through the walk thru....wouldve been strange seeing a girl tilting her head back and another one (my sis) hobbling along on crutches lol..But it was 2am on Sunday and we were absolutely starving.

I will type more when i can put my head down properly so i can type more.

rozymisty

HSC
So yeah a new update. Had my week check up, and he said that the gas bubble can take another 2-3 wks to get absorbed, its all different for different people. I hope that it only takes another 1wk or 2 not 3... But the doctor said that I can now have my head as normal, dont need to tilt it back anymore. I still have to sleep at 45 degrees though till the gas bubble has gone completely. Not sure if i can bend over and stuff, but i have to take things easy.

I was relieved that i dont have to have it tilted more coz it really hurts the neck and it means its a bit hard to go out and about. So after i saw the doc, i went to the shops and went out for a bit, and had a neck and shoulder massage. It hurt in some spots but it feels os much better now. Just out of habit my neck is still sligtly tilted but that will take time to get out of the habit lol.

I can only see the top half of my vision in the left eye, coz of the gas bubble. Im hoping that it goes quick. Still got really dilated eyes whic makes going outside really glarey, even with sunnies when i was in the city, it was glarey hehe the hospital gave me a pair of sunnies hich was nice...speaking of which, they were meant to call me a few days post op, and they havent! oh well im not too worried.

The eye is still all bloodshot and the outer part is irritating, feels lik something is there rubbing on my eye...but its not as bad as like dry eyes where i have to rub my eyes.

boris

Banned
HSC
question: why are we getting a running comentary on your day to day activities?

rozymisty

HSC
answer: i thought some people might care to know what its like to recover from this operation in case they have to get it done....especially when i assume many members on this forum love to go and get themselves wasted and get in arguments and increase their risk of getting glassed in the eye nand have to go through what ive gone through

boris

Banned
HSC
BOS MEATS never result in glassing.
Lots of glitter and gay sex, sure, but never glassing. And basically you've just been talking to yourself for the last 6 posts man, I think you're overvaluing the care of the average BOSer for another persons health.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i care..?..

not about bosers.. but rather the fact that i dun have the problem...:) sometimes u have to look on the bright side of life..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)