IMPORTANT: Julio-Claudian asssessment- don't know where to start (1 Viewer)

alittletense

HSC
Assess the role of the Imperial family & the problems of succession during this period.

:mad1:

The question is so broad!

AND there are so many examples. We have to include EVERYONE in the family eg: Aug-Tib-Gaius-Claud-Nero

Last edited:

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
You won't be able to include everyone in an essay, but the syllabus does name people in that bullet point (Livia, Julia, Germanicus, Ag I, Messalina, Ag II).

I would suggest that you write thematically. Problems involved in succession were: - lack of established succession of maius imperium
- problems of divi filius and family (divine blood). Link this to the role of imperial women
- role of the praetorian guard (particularly after Tiberius)
- increasing subservience of the senate and their inability to choose a leader for themselves
-

Make sure you use sources to support your points too

HSC
just expanding on what smurfigrl said. yes, you cant include everyone in the family - but obviously you should mention the people the syllabus states.
although the question has two parts (imperial family + problems of succession) - they are interrelated. the imperial family is linked to the problems of succession as is evident in the syllabus.
the thematic approach is also an effective means to answer the question - however, i would suggest not to dedicate a separate paragraph to the senate - as there is so much to talk about. just link the implications of the increased power of the PG to the decreased role of the senate.
also, dont forget to talk about the year of the 4 emperors!

hope that helps
if you have any more questions, post them up =)

i wonder why your school gave u an assessment on this question though, considering it was a HSC question this year??? strange...

alittletense

HSC
hey everyone!
i got 8/15 for this task

:(

ah well.

My paper says i gave a good description of it. I didn't assess. SO thats where I lost marks.

I know that it is worrying for me to be asking this now, in my final HSC yr but....how does one assess???

:S

Board of studies describes it as to 'make judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size'

:S

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
This means you need to say what it was which is your description and then assess that is make a judgement on how hard it was to find a successor and how big the role is, pretty much you need to include some sort of judgement which relfects your understanding. Hope that makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)